GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Genesis G80 - worthy alternative successor to the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 03:35 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

I will never trust Hyundai's GDI engines... already know numerous people with cars that just randomly died on the road.

I've heard from mechanics in Korea that say that Hyundai has never really focused on making cars that last for years on the road because in Korea many people don't drive cars for over 5 years.. Koreans love to switch up. Hyundai is relatively new to the concept of reliability.

Mind you - this is just anecdotal but even Koreans pass on Hyundais around here (Northern VA)
The following 2 users liked this post by byungkuk:
greys0uled (02-10-22), jeverett72 (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 03:36 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,356 Likes on 1,076 Posts

The G70 3.3T is 365 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque.
The following users liked this post:
tompass (02-11-22)
Old 02-09-22, 05:44 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by byungkuk
I will never trust Hyundai's GDI engines... already know numerous people with cars that just randomly died on the road.

I've heard from mechanics in Korea that say that Hyundai has never really focused on making cars that last for years on the road because in Korea many people don't drive cars for over 5 years.. Koreans love to switch up. Hyundai is relatively new to the concept of reliability.

Mind you - this is just anecdotal but even Koreans pass on Hyundais around here (Northern VA)
Personally I would not buy a Hyundai/Genesis/Kia product either. I am SUPER OCD when it comes to researching cars before I buy one. I considered buying a Genesis but they did not have great reliability on Consumer Reports and CarComplaints.com. They have had significant problems with cars catching fire and engines seizing since 2011. Lots of owners on CarComplaints note that the heat from the engine bay is high and very noticeable even if the car doesn't catch fire. Millions of car recalled and they just announced another 500K car recall this week for...you guessed it, cars catching on fire. Owners are being advised not to park their cars inside due to fire risk. That's a bad sign when a car maker can't get a handle on a significant problem for 11 years now.

Lexus doesn't make it easy on us with their very slow model updates and getting rid of the GS so I totally understand people considering other brands. My next car will be either a GS F or IS 500. None of the EVs interest me except for the Lucid Air but unfortunately I don't have $70-130k laying around for a car.

Last edited by jeverett72; 02-09-22 at 05:56 PM.
greys0uled (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 08:06 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

I think if I was to get a G80 It would be the EV version that's supposed to be launching next year. I wouldn't have to worry about their engines.

With their warranties I think I would feel pretty safe as a buyer. If their reliability is even 20% better than the Germans that's enough for me.
tompass (02-11-22)
Old 02-10-22, 08:35 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Hyundai/Genesis/Kia engine problems were no worst than any other car company's. They all have problems. Lexus Toyota too. The big Theta engine recall was due to a production line issue in the makings of the cranks. I know many including myself who had no problems with those engines as they did regular oil and filter changes and it cleared out. Lots of those who bought the cheaper car to the Toyota or Honda also cheaped out on the matienence too. When the issue was brought to Hyundai they denied claims a lot due to lack of service history by the Owners. No oil changes for 10k - 20k. The standard I think was 7k.

A Class action suit was brought, and Hyundai agreed that any motor that failed, was then replaced free of charge even change of ownership and that still applies today. Lexus has had Class action engine lawsuits too. On our 15 Optima 2.0T that never had a problem, Kia sent us a letter to come in and do a software update to the ECU and gave us a Lifetime Warranty Certificate on the engine. I have never heard of any car company doing such a thing. Maybe they have, I just don't know of it is all. Lots of companies including Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus have had recalls due to potential fire related engine issues. I am no Hyundai fan boy, but just hearing crap from ppl, and jumping on the bandwagon is just that. In all fairness to Hyundai Motors they had gone through some growing pains due to the limited years they have been around compared to some like Honda. Back some years ago the Honda Civic engine would not last 60k miles. Them and others have come a long way.

Toyota is not without their problems too. It...... happens. Never say never.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...sk-engine-fire

BTW: To clear up other mis-information. The 10years 100k Warranty is Only for the 1st New car Owners only. After that its 5 years 60k.
MX73 (02-17-22)
Old 02-10-22, 10:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I liked the first gen G80 and would have considered one if they weren't so incredibly heavy. The AWD version was around 4700 lbs iirc. New version is lighter, but still a good 500 lbs more than a GS. My neighbor has a 2019 and loves it, though it is of course sitting outside of his house as he can't garage it due to the fire recall.

I respect the new one, but I don't care for the styling of it and I think it's a shame that, at least for 2022, you can only get RWD by choosing the 4 cylinder. The V6 requires AWD which I think is a bit silly.
Old 02-10-22, 11:53 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Damn buying a car and cannot park in the garage.

I was driving behind one yesterday while we were stuck in traffic. Still not feeling the new styling. The front is okay but the rear is kind of weird.
Old 02-10-22, 01:47 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
I liked the first gen G80 and would have considered one if they weren't so incredibly heavy. The AWD version was around 4700 lbs iirc. New version is lighter, but still a good 500 lbs more than a GS. My neighbor has a 2019 and loves it, though it is of course sitting outside of his house as he can't garage it due to the fire recall.

I respect the new one, but I don't care for the styling of it and I think it's a shame that, at least for 2022, you can only get RWD by choosing the 4 cylinder. The V6 requires AWD which I think is a bit silly.
The update part for the recall started in May 2021 I thought? Why has the car not been taken to the shop to get it done? Is something else new going on?
Old 02-10-22, 01:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgscott
The update part for the recall started in May 2021 I thought? Why has the car not been taken to the shop to get it done? Is something else new going on?
No idea. I'll ask him next time I see him out there. I don't know if he just hasn't gotten it in, or if there's some other reason for his delay. I think it's a beautiful car, though, so I don't mind it sitting outside.
Old 02-10-22, 01:59 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
No idea. I'll ask him next time I see him out there. I don't know if he just hasn't gotten it in, or if there's some other reason for his delay. I think it's a beautiful car, though, so I don't mind it sitting outside.
That makes no sense? Lots of cars have had a recall for a hose or part that could catch on fire and the recall takes care of it. lol!
Old 02-10-22, 02:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgscott
That makes no sense? Lots of cars have had a recall for a hose or part that could catch on fire and the recall takes care of it. lol!
What part doesn't make sense? He used to keep it in his garage. Genesis put out the recall and recommended that he keep it outside. It's been outside since. I will ask him why the next time that I see him.
Old 02-10-22, 02:59 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Damn buying a car and cannot park in the garage.

I was driving behind one yesterday while we were stuck in traffic. Still not feeling the new styling. The front is okay but the rear is kind of weird.
That’s where I’m at on it. The front is fine but it’s the back — I just can’t force myself to like it. I really like the G70 as a whole but the G80 just looks… off. I don’t know what it is. The inside looks great though.
Old 02-10-22, 03:35 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
That’s where I’m at on it. The front is fine but it’s the back — I just can’t force myself to like it. I really like the G70 as a whole but the G80 just looks… off. I don’t know what it is. The inside looks great though.
G70 back looks fine, the front I don't like it. lol

I think it's cause they're trying to look like Benz and Audi. I see the CLS and Audi A7 in the G80 rear. The separate headlights and taillights design just doesn't look good to me, not like that.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 02-10-22 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 08:59 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
G70 back looks fine, the front I don't like it. lol

I think it's cause they're trying to look like Benz and Audi. I see the CLS and Audi A7 in the G80 rear. The separate headlights and taillights design just doesn't look good to me, not like that.
Haha, so you need the G80 front + G70 back. You must want the G90 interior then. 😂

And I agree with you on the wannabe A7/CLS on the G80 rear. I also am not a fan of either of those cars either from an aesthetic standpoint. I’m sure some people like that look but it’s not for me. But the G80 somehow manages to do it worse than either of those.
Old 02-11-22, 07:20 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

G70 definitely looks like a Mercedes in the front.

G80 front is fine, don't love or hate it. I do love the rear though.

I think the GV70 is gorgeous all around, I just can't drive a crossover/suv! I'd buy my future wife one!

Quick Reply: Genesis G80 - worthy alternative successor to the 4GS?