GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Genesis G80 - worthy alternative successor to the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-22, 01:11 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 464 Likes on 308 Posts

I almost purchased the old 2015 Hyundai Genesis [nee Genesis G80].
It had very contemporary exterior styling.
The interior was slightly dated IMO.
It was a huge sedan, with a big torquey engine, and a magnificent big car ride.
Bit thirsty.
Bit difficult to maneuver.
Bit big car handling.
The right rear sunshade had a warped front hook; I was surprized this wasn't picked up prior to unwrapping and fixed.

IMO, the new G80 has gone backwards in styling; it lost the contemporary looks, and looks rather droopy to me now.

Two totally different designs.
GS is sharp and dynamic.
G80 is big heavy lazy cruiser.

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-11-22 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-11-22, 05:10 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

The Acura TLX Type S is worth a look.
Old 02-11-22, 06:44 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Savjam
It really isn't

FWD Platform.
IS size interior.
Honda/Acura don't make good Luxury cars.

The following users liked this post:
MX73 (02-17-22)
Old 02-11-22, 07:42 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Too small for me. Like Lexus, they dropped the big sedan and kept the little one. I hate this trend.
greys0uled (02-12-22)
Old 02-11-22, 07:42 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by greys0uled
It really isn't

FWD Platform.
IS size interior.
Honda/Acura don't make good Luxury cars.
My inputs were based on reviews. I have to drive the car. Maybe this weekend.
Type S is rear biased all wheel drive whose handling impressed many reviewers
No, the Type S has a GS size interior based on side by side comparison
I beg to differ. The Acura Legend was a great luxury car. Also, the first car I bought after school was an Acura Integra. While not a luxury car, it was well executed with refinement that bettered the german competitors at the time such as the GTI. The 4 cylinder VTEC engine was easily the most free revving and smoothest 4 cylinder I have experienced, the switchgear felt like it was lined with teflon, the manual shifter was one of the smoothest and much better than than my later E46 BMW 3 series which had a great shifter, it offered a great ride and agile handling from the double wish bone suspension. Steering was great as well. It was also quiet relative to the competition. However, the frameless windows did have a bit of wind noise after a while. Great car. Still miss it.
Old 02-11-22, 07:45 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
Too small for me. Like Lexus, they dropped the big sedan and kept the little one. I hate this trend.
I did a side by side comparison online and they seem to share similar interior specs. Will have to check it out live.
Old 02-11-22, 09:45 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

I did a side by side comparison online and they seem to share similar interior specs. Will have to check it out live.
Yeah but on paper is very misleading, especially since there’s not always uniformity between measurements. Like I remember seeing the GS vs LS interior measurements, and on paper they’re close (within an inch or less). An inch in the real world would be nothing. But sit in them both and it’s night and day. 1 inch difference does not at all tell the story there.
Im2bz2p345 (02-15-22)
Old 02-12-22, 11:44 AM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Yeah but on paper is very misleading, especially since there’s not always uniformity between measurements. Like I remember seeing the GS vs LS interior measurements, and on paper they’re close (within an inch or less). An inch in the real world would be nothing. But sit in them both and it’s night and day. 1 inch difference does not at all tell the story there.
Test drove the TLX type A with all wheel drive today. You are right the car is smaller than the GS and what the dimensions suggest. The size feels in between the IS and the GS. Car was well appointed and well built. Materials seemed high quality. Car rode well. Seats were extremely comfortable. Car felt very heavy and turbo lag was noticeable but engine was smooth. The overall execution and refinement was not as coherent as the GS. I do not consider this car a replacement for the GS. The overall qualities of the GS mix of sportiness, luxury, build quality and reliability makes the GS a special car that will be hard to replace.
The following 3 users liked this post by Savjam:
greys0uled (02-12-22), Im2bz2p345 (02-15-22), ItzFilyO (02-12-22)
Old 02-12-22, 03:34 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Test drove the TLX type A with all wheel drive today. You are right the car is smaller than the GS and what the dimensions suggest. The size feels in between the IS and the GS. Car was well appointed and well built. Materials seemed high quality. Car rode well. Seats were extremely comfortable. Car felt very heavy and turbo lag was noticeable but engine was smooth. The overall execution and refinement was not as coherent as the GS. I do not consider this car a replacement for the GS. The overall qualities of the GS mix of sportiness, luxury, build quality and reliability makes the GS a special car that will be hard to replace.
Great write up.

Yeah I think its a segment down, competing with the likes of the IS350, M340i, and etc. It seems like a sport sedan first, not luxury. It's reaaaallly flashy imo with its body styling.

We have to talk about the prestige factor too, because I think it directly correlates with quality. Acura is just not on the level of the Germans, Lexus, and now Genesis.

Old 02-12-22, 04:57 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

So the GS is not outdated after all.
Old 02-13-22, 01:33 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
So the GS is not outdated after all.
No it isnt’t where it counts.
Old 02-13-22, 07:08 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Great write up.

Yeah I think its a segment down, competing with the likes of the IS350, M340i, and etc. It seems like a sport sedan first, not luxury. It's reaaaallly flashy imo with its body styling.

We have to talk about the prestige factor too, because I think it directly correlates with quality. Acura is just not on the level of the Germans, Lexus, and now Genesis.
While true, Lexus has abandoned us — “us” being fans of RWD based sedans. They could have come out with a better GS and it would have sold if they did it right. So now if we want to stay in this segment we have to go to Genesis or the Germans. The current Lexus and Acura offerings are too small, or are FWD based.
greys0uled (02-14-22)
Old 02-14-22, 03:16 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

While true, Lexus has abandoned us — “us” being fans of RWD based sedans. They could have come out with a better GS and it would have sold if they did it right. So now if we want to stay in this segment we have to go to Genesis or the Germans. The current Lexus and Acura offerings are too small, or are FWD based.
I really don't know why they didnt want to make a new GS. The ES existing always killed GS sales and I hate it, they compete in the same market. ES is redundant as a Luxury Camry/Avalon - The only FWD sedan in the Lexus lineup.

Not a director successor, but I think the G80 is the closest thing we have or getting. Bit heavier, not as nimble, but luxurious, great tech, and reliability closer to Lexus than the Germans. Really excited about the EV version that's coming, that's what I'll upgrade to in 3-4 years from my GS more than likely.

Last edited by greys0uled; 02-14-22 at 03:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by greys0uled:
Im2bz2p345 (02-15-22), tompass (02-16-22)
Old 02-15-22, 11:28 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 464 Likes on 308 Posts

Not a director successor, but I think the G80 is the closest thing we have or getting. Bit heavier, not as nimble, but luxurious, great tech, and reliability closer to Lexus than the Germans. .
Just my opinion only and a very subjective topic, but pity about Genesis' styling.
Also why do they need to be so oversized?
Genesis could sell so much more if they got it right.
Old 02-15-22, 12:47 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Just my opinion only and a very subjective topic, but pity about Genesis' styling.
Also why do they need to be so oversized?
Genesis could sell so much more if they got it right.
I like the styling personally, I get very luxurious Bentley/S-Class vibes from the front end of the G80. Maybe it will grow on you?

It's a bit longer than the GS but about on par with the new E-Class and 5 Series. I'm sure if we got a new GS it would've been bigger as well. Cars are just increasing in size now.

Quick Reply: Genesis G80 - worthy alternative successor to the 4GS?