GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Genesis G80 - worthy alternative successor to the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 12:58 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

For the RWD sedans, the GS is the Goldilocks car. It’s full size without being a boat. The LS is also full size but it’s much larger — almost too big. Great for comfort but not so much for spirited driving. The IS handles nicely but it’s just too small. I guess it’s fine if you need 4 doors in a pinch, but imagine squeezing 4-5 full grown adults into that thing for a 4 hour drive? Brutal. Everybody would hate each other by the time you got to where you were going.

The GS is in the Goldilocks zone. It’s great for driving when you’re by yourself (which is how most people spend the majority of their time driving), but also big enough to load it up for a long drive if you had to.

Before I got the GS I thought it would be a massive step down from the LS in terms of quality and comfort — like the IS (no offense meant). But it’s not. It’s closer to the LS than the IS.

Shame they ditched it. Toyota already makes the Camry and Avalon. I don’t know why they need the ES. Should have revamped the GS with more HP, upgraded tech, and bold styling. I’m hoping they’ll resurrect it one day. I’m just afraid by the time they do it’ll be an EV.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (02-16-22)
Old 02-16-22, 05:20 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

JUst FYI: The ES is the 2nd oldest run Model car that Lexus makes. It's been around for a long time. Longer that the GS.
Old 02-16-22, 08:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
JUst FYI: The ES is the 2nd oldest run Model car that Lexus makes. It's been around for a long time. Longer that the GS.
Indeed. Another fun fact about the ES is you used to be able to get it with a 5 speed manual transmission. Up until 1993 or so, if I remember correctly.
Old 02-16-22, 09:04 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
Should have revamped the GS with more HP, upgraded tech, and bold styling. I’m hoping they’ll resurrect it one day. I’m just afraid by the time they do it’ll be an EV.
Am I the only one that's ready for EV's, especially for daily drivers? I'm pretty tired of gas stations and filling up, and dealing with the maintenance of ICE cars. Also, they're just better for the environment.

I plan on buying a SC400 in the next couple years, that should fill my petrol needs as my weekend car
Old 02-16-22, 11:25 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Yes at $5/gal I'm feeling it. Having an EV high performance GS would be nice.

Lexus needs to stop fooling around with FWD cars.
Old 02-16-22, 01:00 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Am I the only one that's ready for EV's, especially for daily drivers? I'm pretty tired of gas stations and filling up, and dealing with the maintenance of ICE cars. Also, they're just better for the environment.
Lexus have 2025 IS in BEV for you, however that's only a compact.
The midsize GS is rumored to be replaced by a Mazda sourced 48 V mild hybrid 3.0 in-line six with RWD.
In time, the GS will be BEV too.

Old 02-16-22, 03:52 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by greys0uled

I plan on buying a SC400 in the next couple years, that should fill my petrol needs as my weekend car
You’re definitely not the only one, there are high demands for EV’s. I personally still prefer ICE over EV for a variety of reasons though. I hope that the long history of reliability that Toyota has built with ICE’s will carry over into EV’s as well. I think it will. I know they make great hybrids, so I’m sure their EV’s will be great as well.

As for me though, I’ll stick with gas.
Old 02-17-22, 08:31 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

As others have mentioned the G80 is much, much larger than the GS, both the current gen and the 2015-2020 model. It's actually the same size as the LS430. The G80's primary target was the South Korean market where executive sedans are used primarily as chauffeur vehicles, so the G80 is considered something of a SWB G90 and size-wise is pretty much on par with SWB versions of full size sedans like the 7 Series. The new G80 Sport is seriously fast, C&D records its acceleration as equaling the 540i and actually having a higher trap speed, but at the end of the day it's still a 4500 pound land yacht. If anything it's closer to the LS500 than the GS.

The closest Korean analogy to the GS is the Stinger, which is dimensionally almost identical. But it's nowhere near a Genesis in materials and luxury, and unfortunately midsize driver's cars just don't sell in South Korea, which is why the Stinger isn't going to live for much longer.
Old 02-17-22, 09:20 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Lexus have 2025 IS in BEV for you, however that's only a compact.
The midsize GS is rumored to be replaced by a Mazda sourced 48 V mild hybrid 3.0 in-line six with RWD.
In time, the GS will be BEV too.
Those EV designs really remind me of the current gen IS. I've said it before, but i'd hope that a real successor to the GS from Lexus at least looks like the LF-FC flagship concept and i'd take it in any platform (ICE, mild hybrid, or EV)

Old 02-17-22, 02:13 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

It's either the Germans or Genesis if I want a RWD sedan at this point, and although I love the Germans' styling and tech, their reliability is horrible. Genesis seems to be the better choice for reliability, and their tech and styling are close enough to just be a matter of preference at this point. Lexus quite literally does not give me a choice, as they have stopped making my car. I wish it was the ES or IS that got scrapped, but for some reason they chose the GS so I have to look to someone else that offers what I want.

The upcoming Mazda 6 replacement sounds intriguing, and the concepts look fantastic, so I would be willing to consider them, but I'm afraid their powertrain choices would leave me very underwhelmed. I could see it limited to a 2.5L -- even their big CX-9 is only a 2.5L, or it may be full EV by the time it drops.

So for the foreseeable future, it's either Genesis or change segments. Really sucks that Lexus abandoned me.
Mazda has a straight 6 in development that will be coming out soon. It should debut in the CX60/70, CX80/90, and eventually the new 6.
Old 02-17-22, 05:03 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MX73
Mazda has a straight 6 in development that will be coming out soon. It should debut in the CX60/70, CX80/90, and eventually the new 6.
I’m looking forward to it but you’ll have to excuse my trepidation. There’s nothing wrong with Mazdas really, but they would have to really step up their game big time to compete with the likes of Lexus, or even Genesis. To get all of the options I would want we’d be talking about at least $50k. I don’t even know if they would make a trim that high, but even if they did, am I ready to drop $50,000 or more on a Mazda? Is anybody? Thats a tough ask.

But Toyota left the door open, hopefully someone walks through it. Might as well be Mazda.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (02-17-22)
Old 02-17-22, 05:09 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

I’m looking forward to it but you’ll have to excuse my trepidation. There’s nothing wrong with Mazdas really, but they would have to really step up their game big time to compete with the likes of Lexus, or even Genesis. To get all of the options I would want we’d be talking about at least $50k. I don’t even know if they would make a trim that high, but even if they did, am I ready to drop $50,000 or more on a Mazda? Is anybody? Thats a tough ask.

But Toyota left the door open, hopefully someone walks through it. Might as well be Mazda.
Mazda is moving upscale in their next phase of vehicles. The next 6 is supposed to have a starting price similar to the Mazda 6 signature trim which is a tad under 40k. I would gladly put my money on Mazda over Genesis. I had a Mazda before my GS and love it. And pretty much my entire family and extended family switched over to Mazda from Toyota.
Old 02-17-22, 07:37 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Mazda is moving upscale in their next phase of vehicles. The next 6 is supposed to have a starting price similar to the Mazda 6 signature trim which is a tad under 40k. I would gladly put my money on Mazda over Genesis. I had a Mazda before my GS and love it. And pretty much my entire family and extended family switched over to Mazda from Toyota.
Ehh.. calling Mazda "premium" is fair. But Luxury? I don't see it one bit.

Would I consider one over an Acura? Sure. But the Germans, Lexus, and Genesis are in an entirely different league.
Old 02-17-22, 07:41 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

I don’t even know if they would make a trim that high, but even if they did, am I ready to drop $50,000 or more on a Mazda? Is anybody? Thats a tough ask.
My thoughts exactly. Hard pass.
Old 02-18-22, 01:19 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

They would have to move up a bunch of scales to get to the Lexus GS (or even the IS or ES). Toyota and Hyundai are Mazda's competitors, not Lexus and Genesis.

We'll see what they come out with but again, not holding my breath -- at least not as a replacement for my GS. They may come out with a damn fine car, but I think the chances of it being an actual luxury car are very slim. That's just not what Mazda does. I think best case scenario would be like an Avalon, which hey, if it's RWD and powerful enough, that might work. We'll just have to see what they come up with.

Quick Reply: Genesis G80 - worthy alternative successor to the 4GS?