GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Genesis G80 - worthy alternative successor to the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-22, 06:33 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
They would have to move up a bunch of scales to get to the Lexus GS (or even the IS or ES). Toyota and Hyundai are Mazda's competitors, not Lexus and Genesis.

We'll see what they come out with but again, not holding my breath -- at least not as a replacement for my GS. They may come out with a damn fine car, but I think the chances of it being an actual luxury car are very slim. That's just not what Mazda does. I think best case scenario would be like an Avalon, which hey, if it's RWD and powerful enough, that might work. We'll just have to see what they come up with.
You are aware that Mazda did have a luxury brand?

Nowhere in my statement did I say Mazda is a luxury brand. I said Mazda is moving upscale. That can mean anything. Premium, Luxury or a Halo brand status. So what if the Next Mazda is the foundation for the Next IS or GS? Still think the next IS or GS won't be Luxury because the underpinning is a Mazda? There are rumors out there that Lexus and Mazda may team up to make a new RWD platform.
Old 02-18-22, 08:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I’m looking forward to it but you’ll have to excuse my trepidation. There’s nothing wrong with Mazdas really, but they would have to really step up their game big time to compete with the likes of Lexus, or even Genesis. To get all of the options I would want we’d be talking about at least $50k. I don’t even know if they would make a trim that high, but even if they did, am I ready to drop $50,000 or more on a Mazda? Is anybody? Thats a tough ask.

But Toyota left the door open, hopefully someone walks through it. Might as well be Mazda.
Just to be fair, it should be acknowledged that the current Mazda CX-9 already tops out over $50k. Toyota has several models over $50k, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Mazda could do the same.

My bigger concern with Mazda, which I do like, is that there always seems to be something big in the pipeline that either doesn't come to fruition or is extremely delayed. I am hopeful they will be able to execute these I-6 plans because it could be an exciting time.
Old 02-18-22, 08:26 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Is Mazda still owned by Ford? Last I heard Ford owns 15% of Mazda I think but that was 20 years ago.
Old 02-18-22, 01:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Is Mazda still owned by Ford? Last I heard Ford owns 15% of Mazda I think but that was 20 years ago.
From 2008-15, Ford sold its remaining shares in Mazda.
In 2015, I think Toyota may have purchased 5% of Mazda and entered into an agreement where Mazda would supply Toyota with SkyActiv technology in exchange for Toyota HFCEV technology.
The following users liked this post:
MX73 (03-09-22)
Old 02-18-22, 02:17 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Test drove a 2021 G80 2.5T today. Interior is amazing, materials and touch are top notch. Infotainment is really good, no lag, big quality screen. Not sure why it doesn't have USB-C however.
The ride is extremely quiet, It has dual pane windows.
For its weight and what I've heard the car handles quite well imo. The 4 cylinder 2.5T isn't smooth and lacks refinement, not a fan of its sound either if I have to say.
Didn't drive a 3.5TT, I'm sure its much better, but its also a gas guzzler looking at MPG numbers.

Can't wait for the EV version, looking like that will be my next car. I think Genesis has something special in their hands here. Lexus, please respond!

Btw, I love the wheels on this one.

byungkuk (02-20-22)
Old 02-18-22, 03:04 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Just to be fair, it should be acknowledged that the current Mazda CX-9 already tops out over $50k. Toyota has several models over $50k, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Mazda could do the same.

My bigger concern with Mazda, which I do like, is that there always seems to be something big in the pipeline that either doesn't come to fruition or is extremely delayed. I am hopeful they will be able to execute these I-6 plans because it could be an exciting time.
I’m aware of that. I’m also aware that that is the top end of Mazda while that is a baseline GS. Price doesn’t tell the whole story, but my point is right now I have a GS with the Lux package which has numerous upgrades over the base model GS. So if the highest Mazda ever gets is to a baseline GS, I’m just not going to be interested. I’d be better off keeping the GS or looking at Genesis.

I just don’t see it, sorry. I hope I’m wrong but like I said already, that’s not who Mazda is. They don’t make luxury cars.
jgscott (03-09-22)
Old 02-18-22, 07:20 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

I’m aware of that. I’m also aware that that is the top end of Mazda while that is a baseline GS. Price doesn’t tell the whole story, but my point is right now I have a GS with the Lux package which has numerous upgrades over the base model GS. So if the highest Mazda ever gets is to a baseline GS, I’m just not going to be interested. I’d be better off keeping the GS or looking at Genesis.

I just don’t see it, sorry. I hope I’m wrong but like I said already, that’s not who Mazda is. They don’t make luxury cars.
What if Mazda just makes a basic midsize compact with RWD like a Camry, while Lexus makes a luxury version like an ES?
Ditto Toyota Higlander vs Lexus RX?

Can't Lexus make a luxury version of the midsize RWD-based Mazda?
Old 02-18-22, 08:35 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
What if Mazda just makes a basic midsize compact with RWD like a Camry, while Lexus makes a luxury version like an ES?
Ditto Toyota Higlander vs Lexus RX?

Can't Lexus make a luxury version of the midsize RWD-based Mazda?
From a financial standpoint, I doubt this will happen. 95% of the population want a fwd or AWD car.
Old 02-19-22, 08:09 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
From 2008-15, Ford sold its remaining shares in Mazda.
In 2015, I think Toyota may have purchased 5% of Mazda and entered into an agreement where Mazda would supply Toyota with SkyActiv technology in exchange for Toyota HFCEV technology.
My guess is that Toyota will buy a controlling stake in Mazda in the next 5 years. Mazda is far too small to compete in today's global auto industry especially with the billions of investment required for converting to BEVs. They will have to join up with Toyota or another automaker at some point or they will eventually disappear.
Old 02-20-22, 03:07 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jeverett72
My guess is that Toyota will buy a controlling stake in Mazda in the next 5 years. Mazda is far too small to compete in today's global auto industry especially with the billions of investment required for converting to BEVs. They will have to join up with Toyota or another automaker at some point or they will eventually disappear.
What would Toyota have to gain by buying them out? If I'm Toyota, let them fail on their own. They're a competitor. I don't think Mazda has anything that Toyota couldn't make on their own. Any patents or tech that they have could be bought on a massive discount if/when they did fail. No reason to buy them now.
Im2bz2p345 (02-22-22)
Old 03-09-22, 01:50 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

I'm sorry, have you compared the CX9 Signature trim to the baseline GS. Quit throwing nonsense on things you haven't researched. Hmm, beatsonic, mazda, lets see what else.
Old 03-09-22, 02:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Let's keep things polite please folks.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
byungkuk (03-11-22), greys0uled (03-10-22)