GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How dated is the GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 06:44 AM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How dated is the GS350?

By today's standard is it very far behind modern cars? Excluding EV's since they almost always come with fancy tech. I'm talking about the features thst make the GS a comfortable cruiser but also have sporty dynamics. Things like VGRS, rear wheel steering, avs all of these which I think were expensive features reserved for luxury cars back in 2013. But nowadays they seem to be standard in many cars or am I wrong?
Old 02-09-22, 07:56 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I don't think it's dated at all, unless ur comparing the tech/nav system vs. those CarPlay alone then yes but driving dynamics, this car is very good even today. We still get all speed radar cruise control and lane centering that can handle mild bends on the highway so it's not too bad.

Long drives, short drives, stuck in traffic, going fast in corners, this car is good for all. Those with the fancy infotainment are usually not that good to drive or the built quality isn't all that good.

The GS doesn't look good on paper but driving it tells u a different story.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 02-09-22 at 08:03 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
AJLex19 (02-09-22), greys0uled (02-09-22), Im2bz2p345 (02-09-22), lexus4jess (08-08-22), NJLEXES (02-09-22), Savjam (02-11-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-09-22, 08:01 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 209 Posts

As with most cars, condition is everything. I see very clean GSs and as long as they're shiny with non-hazy headlights, they still look great. That styling has really seemed to hold up.
The following users liked this post:
ECL (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 11:11 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

The pre-refresh 13-15's that didn't come with safety features like PCS/LKA and radar cruise are definitely more dated than the newer 16's+.

Tech wise the GS misses things like Carplay, 360 view camera, etc that newer cars have, but the pure driving dynamics like @ItzFilyO said are still great today.
Old 02-09-22, 11:38 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Of course on the Forum we are on it wont be a little biased now will it.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
Im2bz2p345 (02-09-22), lexus4jess (08-08-22)
Old 02-09-22, 04:46 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
The pre-refresh 13-15's that didn't come with safety features like PCS/LKA and radar cruise are definitely more dated than the newer 16's+.

Tech wise the GS misses things like Carplay, 360 view camera, etc that newer cars have, but the pure driving dynamics like @ItzFilyO said are still great today.
Lexus did offer PCS and radar cruise as options on the 2013-2015s. My 2013 has both. The reason there are so few is that buyers back then didn't opt for it. I'm glad the lady who bought mine did opt for those and she even opted for the Cold Weather Package even tho she lived in Alabama. Came in handy this past week with the freezing weather here in TX.

Now the PCS is not as advanced as today's systems that will brake completely to a dead stop for you. It flashes a warning light and beeps at you and applies the brakes full force once you start to hit the brakes. It's come on twice in the 7 months I've owned the car and gave me plenty of warning/distance to brake.

Lexus offered PCS and radar cruise as far back as 2006 in the LS and 2007 in the GS. They didn't include all the safety features as standard until 2017 and the 2016+ PCS/RC was a more advanced tech than the 2013-2015s.

Last edited by jeverett72; 02-09-22 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-09-22, 05:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I had PCS on my 2009 GS460.
Old 02-09-22, 05:21 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

As others said, the driving experience is certainly not dated. I solved the dated infotainment issue myself with the GROM unit, and now it’s more capable than any other system out there.

Where I feel the GS is most dated is in the HP department. 306/311 whatever they rate it at is being made by 4 cylinders now, and it somehow has turbo lag without the turbo.

Comfort, style, and handling though in this segment are hard to beat, even if the car is approaching 10 years old now. I also think the 4GS design is pretty timeless, much like the E46 M3. This car will look good for years to come. Unlike the E46 M3 however, these will actually last that long. 😂
Old 02-09-22, 08:31 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
As others said, the driving experience is certainly not dated. I solved the dated infotainment issue myself with the GROM unit, and now it’s more capable than any other system out there.

Where I feel the GS is most dated is in the HP department. 306/311 whatever they rate it at is being made by 4 cylinders now, and it somehow has turbo lag without the turbo.

Comfort, style, and handling though in this segment are hard to beat, even if the car is approaching 10 years old now. I also think the 4GS design is pretty timeless, much like the E46 M3. This car will look good for years to come. Unlike the E46 M3 however, these will actually last that long. 😂
To be fair, the S54 is actually a brilliant engine. I think it's still incredible today, let alone the early 2000s.
I am not sure if GS falls in the same timeless category as the E46 M3 though.
For me, a naturally aspirated engine, RWD, and theoretically reliable platform is why I got mine.
Old 02-09-22, 08:53 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

It’s exactly 10 years old. Lexus Safety System Plus is 6 years old.
Old 02-09-22, 10:48 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by zheka130
To be fair, the S54 is actually a brilliant engine. I think it's still incredible today, let alone the early 2000s.
I am not sure if GS falls in the same timeless category as the E46 M3 though.
For me, a naturally aspirated engine, RWD, and theoretically reliable platform is why I got mine.
The engine isn't usually the issue, it's always something else on German cars -- a fuel pump, some sensor somewhere, the transmission, etc. etc. etc. As you know there is a lot more to a car than just the engine. That's what makes Lexus so good; all of that stuff is rock solid.

I disagree though about the 2016+ 4GS on styling. I guess we'll see 20 years from now how the styling holds up, but I think it will withstand the test of time very well. The exterior design and the stance on these cars is beautiful. The biggest issue (to me) is Lexus tried to make all of their cars look the same, so it dilutes it.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 07:50 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jeverett72
Lexus did offer PCS and radar cruise as options on the 2013-2015s. My 2013 has both. The reason there are so few is that buyers back then didn't opt for it. I'm glad the lady who bought mine did opt for those and she even opted for the Cold Weather Package even tho she lived in Alabama. Came in handy this past week with the freezing weather here in TX.

Now the PCS is not as advanced as today's systems that will brake completely to a dead stop for you. It flashes a warning light and beeps at you and applies the brakes full force once you start to hit the brakes. It's come on twice in the 7 months I've owned the car and gave me plenty of warning/distance to brake.

Lexus offered PCS and radar cruise as far back as 2006 in the LS and 2007 in the GS. They didn't include all the safety features as standard until 2017 and the 2016+ PCS/RC was a more advanced tech than the 2013-2015s.
Yes, it was an option indeed, It was just rarely equipped in those MY's. If I had to guess, I would say <5% had them equipped.
Old 02-10-22, 08:27 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I don't think it's dated at all, unless ur comparing the tech/nav system vs. those CarPlay alone then yes but driving dynamics, this car is very good even today. We still get all speed radar cruise control and lane centering that can handle mild bends on the highway so it's not too bad.
Long drives, short drives, stuck in traffic, going fast in corners, this car is good for all. Those with the fancy infotainment are usually not that good to drive or the built quality isn't all that good.
The GS doesn't look good on paper but driving it tells u a different story.
I think most enthusiasts will forgo the infotainment and general tech presented to them while inside if the car has a compelling drive. By ultra-modern standards, the GS is only dated because of its lack of upgraded interior tech (touchscreens, better smartphone integration, OTA updates, map guidance, etc)...anyone who drives a GS regularly knows why its a keeper.

Old 02-10-22, 08:40 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I think most enthusiasts will forgo the infotainment and general tech presented to them while inside if the car has a compelling drive. By ultra-modern standards, the GS is only dated because of its lack of upgraded interior tech (touchscreens, better smartphone integration, OTA updates, map guidance, etc)...anyone who drives a GS regularly knows why its a keeper.
Yep, is one reason why so many of late in just the last few years to date are now just buying their 1st Lexus and looking for a GS with all that dated stuff it has. lol!
Old 02-10-22, 09:23 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I agree, most of this technology isn't necessary, if one is an attentive driver.
Market forces, however, dictate otherwise. And driving dynamics aren't important to 90% of the population, they'll take a ****ty touch screen instead.

Quick Reply: How dated is the GS350?