GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2GR-FXE timing chain replacement interval?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-22, 07:53 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2GR-FXE timing chain replacement interval?

Hi all, can someone tell me what is timing chain replacement interval for that engine , 2GR-FXE ?
Old 02-13-22, 08:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
Hi all, can someone tell me what is timing chain replacement interval for that engine , 2GR-FXE ?
Never. The timing chain will last the life of the engine - the chain will actually outlast the engine.

The timing chain is almost certainly never going to fail and need to be replaced.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-13-22 at 09:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
peteharvey (02-14-22)
Old 02-13-22, 09:17 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

As BCLexus stated, it is a true lifetime part. If it were a belt, I'd advise following the manufacturer's recommendations but chains are near indestructible.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (02-13-22)
Old 02-13-22, 01:37 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Generally, not until it starts giving signs - noise, timing codes, etc.

Some engines' chains do tend to fail (*cough* certain european engines *cough*), for various reasons - super long OCIs are the commonly blamed culprit, but other engines from the same companies (you guessed it - BMW, VAG, Merc) didn't really suffer from that, even when abused, so it's a bit of a hit and miss.

With Toyota - unless I've missed something - generally you'll get codes or some other indication of trouble way before the chain gives. Specifically for the 2GRs in general - I don't believe that I've seen a single report of a snapped chain in service - please correct me if there is. Usually people change the chain along with all 4 of the VVTi hydraulic adjusters (since the chain sprockets get sold with them - new sprockets means new chains if you want everything to be top-notch) - and they do that only IF and WHEN the actuators start misbehaving - read: cold start rattle every time. In my case, it's only sometimes, like if I start up the car for ~40sec, turn it off and wait 30minutes or so (i.e. cold start right after a cold start without any time to warmup whatsoever).

Anyways.
Old 02-13-22, 08:51 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, more of a European car problem. This is actually the main reason I chose not to buy a BMW and went for the GS. F series BMW's are known to have timing chain failures after 150K kms.
NOt the case on most Japanese vehicles. Not sure how Nissan compares, since they are pretty crap.
Old 05-22-22, 08:13 AM
tdevries
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a Toyota if you change the oil & filter regularly, it never needs replacement. Metal and other grit in engine oil is what rapidly wears timing chains and then causes stretch and timing problems. So the best solution is to simply maintain clean oil. Other timing chain problems are usually caused by poor design or manufacturing, generally not a problem with Toyotas.
Old 05-22-22, 08:46 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tdevries
In a Toyota if you change the oil & filter regularly, it never needs replacement. Metal and other grit in engine oil is what rapidly wears timing chains and then causes stretch and timing problems. So the best solution is to simply maintain clean oil. Other timing chain problems are usually caused by poor design or manufacturing, generally not a problem with Toyotas.
My car is used and have missing service records and 000 maintenance so i dont have any clue how long will the chains and gears last and i have some noises so.... thats valid only if you have brand new car and its maintained regularly or if you have full dealership service records...
last time when we changed the oil,and diff oil we had a lot of metal parts inside....
i hope car will last at least 100.000more miles...
without very expensive brakes..
Old 05-22-22, 08:54 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

My car is used and have missing service records and 000 maintenance so i dont have any clue how long will the chains and gears last and i have some noises so.... thats valid only if you have brand new car and its maintained regularly or if you have full dealership service records...
last time when we changed the oil,and diff oil we had a lot of metal parts inside....
i hope car will last at least 100.000more miles...
without very expensive brakes..
I have plenty of timing chained cars with unknown service history of which all of them has chains without issues.
stop trying to find issues. A chain rattle is LOUD and once you have that, then swap. Don’t do it “just because”.
Old 05-24-22, 10:45 PM
ChickenNug
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Not relevant to 2GR engines TBH. You are good to go.
Old 05-25-22, 08:11 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2GR-FE in a 2007 RX350 with 240K. It has zero rattle at startup or any other time.

Originally Posted by zheka130
I agree, more of a European car problem...
The 3.0 V6 in my Audi A6 has rattled for about a half second at cold starts since it had 50K miles on it. Germans, for reason, insist on using tensioners that work on oil pressure. They are supposed to hold the oil pressure, but inevitably bleed some off.