Latest Oil Analysis, 9K miles, and Twisted K&N Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 07:54 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts
Default Latest Oil Analysis, 9K miles, and Twisted K&N Oil Filter

Here's the post over at BITOG.

Here are my lastest results. This fill of PP 0W20 is the same oil from the last UOA plus another 2,800 miles or so. Took the sample via a fumoto valve after draining about 1.5 qts. Although I did refill with PP 0W20 again, I'm leaning towards a Pennzoil Euro for the next fill... no other reason other than being a little curious. Still got to do a little more research though.

Discovered I had used the wrong sized K&N filter in the cannister when I changed the oil last; the filter was too long and it twisted to fit when I screwed on the cannister housing. Here it sits next to the Purolator I was about to use, also too long. Ended up with a Fram Titanium FS9972, that was all Advance Auto had in stock, pictured next to the K&N I replaced. Felt like such a newbie... It was the first time I had changed oil while using a cannister filter, so used a little elbow grease to install the K&N filter. But the twist did not seem to compromise the oil performance...

Please note... this is a hobby to me... I don't do UOAs to justify my ODIs (well I kinda do, but...) I've just been doing this for so many years, it's interesting to read about wear, TBN, viscosity, etc. and hear others' opionions on oil usage, drain intervals and the like.

Last edited by chinee; 02-15-22 at 09:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (02-16-22)
Old 02-15-22, 09:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Interesting for the to the wire oil change intervals. I would have liked it better if it did not show "Wear metals bumped up". Don't get me wrong I'm not thinking you are going to spin a Rod bearing but......... at only 30k miles on the engine correct? I would be looking more to what's going on at like 75K plus?

If your point is... you can use Walmart's brand cheapest oil and a cheap filter, and change at 15k. Yes your GS350 will still start and run, and you will save like $15 a year if you do it yourself over my DYI 6.5k - 7k oil changes and Toyota Filter. Next oil change I do I'm going to post up my (2013 at 41K), Oil Analysis.

Take that nice GS you have to a Lexus Dealer for a $90 oil change and get some free Starbuck coffee and free wifi in the waiting room. Then show us your Analysis.
Old 02-15-22, 09:33 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by jgscott
Interesting for the to the wire oil change intervals. I would have liked it better if it did not show "Wear metals bumped up". Don't get me wrong I'm not thinking you are going to spin a Rod bearing but......... at only 30k miles on the engine correct? I would be looking more to what's going on at like 75K plus?

If your point is... you can use Walmart's brand cheapest oil and a cheap filter, and change at 15k. Yes your GS350 will still start and run, and you will save like $15 a year if you do it yourself over my DYI 6.5k - 7k oil changes and Toyota Filter. Next oil change I do I'm going to post up my (2013 at 41K), Oil Analysis.

Take that nice GS you have to a Lexus Dealer for a $90 oil change and get some free Starbuck coffee and free wifi in the waiting room. Then show us your Analysis.
No bro, you should know me better than that by now. Pennzoil has always been a great oil, conventional, synth and the blends... top notch. Never been a fan of Fram filters but they seem to have upped their game and producing good filtes now. The only reason the wear metals bumped up from the last change is that it was the same oil fill, only running an extra 2,800 miles... the wear metals can't go down in such a scenario.

As for the dealer... I prefer to do my own oil changes, and most services as well. I'll keep the UOAs going for a while... 75K and beyond. I'll probably stick with 9K intervals and do an interim analysis at 5or 6K.
Old 02-15-22, 10:46 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Why don't you just use the OEM oil filters? Fit will never be an issue. Or is the K&N proven to have better filtration than the OEM Toyota's?

The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
bclexus (02-16-22), JeffKeryk (02-16-22)
Old 02-16-22, 04:40 AM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by 703
Why don't you just use the OEM oil filters? Fit will never be an issue. Or is the K&N proven to have better filtration than the OEM Toyota's?
Just availability in Advance Auto. But with that said, here's some feedback I posted on BITOG re: the filter:

I googled the filter part# and looked at the replacement part guides in the store aisle and they both reflected the filters I bought... then I went to the counter and apparently there's 2 filters for this engines... a longer one for the AWD model and a shorter one for RWD... only the longer filter appears as the default replacement in searches. Since then, going to Lexus dealers websites, using the VIN returns the correct filter #, so knee jerk reaction... I bought 5 of 'em.

Old 02-16-22, 06:38 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Picked up that filter last week for my RX, Walmart was 7.00 and the dealer was 6.00. I would've thought WM would've been cheaper.
Old 02-16-22, 11:28 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Walmart sells Lexus OEM parts?
Old 02-16-22, 12:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Yes they have our Toyota Brand filter and others.

Last edited by jgscott; 02-16-22 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-16-22, 12:20 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Just availability in Advance Auto. But with that said, here's some feedback I posted on BITOG re: the filter:
If I don’t have time, I just email the parts guy at the local Lexus dealer and they courier the parts over.
Old 02-16-22, 02:39 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by 703
If I don’t have time, I just email the parts guy at the local Lexus dealer and they courier the parts over.
Unfortunately oil was drained and filter removed... Friday night 8pm... daughter was headed out of town in the morning. Lexus dealer 13 miles away... not that confident to jump on my eScooter to head to the dealer and share the road with So FL crazy drivers. When you need it, you need it.
Old 02-16-22, 04:47 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Unfortunately oil was drained and filter removed... Friday night 8pm... daughter was headed out of town in the morning. Lexus dealer 13 miles away... not that confident to jump on my eScooter to head to the dealer and share the road with So FL crazy drivers. When you need it, you need it.
Time to boost that scooter up.
Old 02-16-22, 08:05 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Agreed. I keep a small inventory of filters and oil for the cars I service. I hate running to the store in the middle of a simple oil change.
All good.
Old 02-17-22, 03:41 AM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Time to boost that scooter up.
It's not the scooter that needs boosting... it's my courage!

Last edited by chinee; 02-17-22 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-19-22, 12:37 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Anyone who DIYs should really just make a large order from a genuine parts seller. Every few years I make an order to Amayama for 5 filters and washers, diff washers and anything else needed soon (for me it's radiator hoses, fuel filters etc. Just makes life so much easier.
Old 02-21-22, 06:39 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by Cwang
Anyone who DIYs should really just make a large order from a genuine parts seller. Every few years I make an order to Amayama for 5 filters and washers, diff washers and anything else needed soon (for me it's radiator hoses, fuel filters etc. Just makes life so much easier.
Agreed. Additionally my fumoto valve makes changes easier. Switching over to the Valvomax at the next change... makes it even easier.

Fumoto

Valvomax

Quick Reply: Latest Oil Analysis, 9K miles, and Twisted K&N Oil Filter