2013 Transmission/Rear-End?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22, 03:45 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2013 Transmission/Rear-End?

Guys,

I may be blowing this all out of proportion, but I tend to notice a lot of little things whether they actually exist, are in my head or they're completely normal.

In my 2013 F-Sport AWD (68k), when she's cold, I can feel a bit of a "thud" when putting it into reverse. Now I have older cars from the 60's and you can hear a normal metal on metal noise when engaging a gear from the rear end, but I don't hear that here. I feel it. The parking brake is NOT engaged. When the car warms up, I'll shift it into reverse, back to drive and so on. Nothing. Smooth as butter

But now I'm paying attention. I'm over-aware, I think. I was on the highway today (in Sport mode) and was using the manual shifter. It was about 65 degrees today and the car was at normal OT. When I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, it seems like it shifts hard. I feel it, but not all the time. Maybe it's just being more aggressive? Is this normal? I don't drive the car very hard too often but like to let it rip sometimes.

It seems to be the mode I'm in. I'm just looking to see if this is normal, or these are signs that I'm going to be replacing the transmission. The dealer does all of the service. My last visit, the writer told me, verbatim, "We do not recommend changing the transmission fluid". I also asked him about a diff fluid change, and he said the tech checked off on them. They're fine. I'm not too sure how he can check off on them without opening it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Any other experiences? I'd really like someone to just tell me I'm being ridiculous hahaha.
Old 02-21-22, 04:49 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mtucci3
Guys,

I may be blowing this all out of proportion, but I tend to notice a lot of little things whether they actually exist, are in my head or they're completely normal.

In my 2013 F-Sport AWD (68k), when she's cold, I can feel a bit of a "thud" when putting it into reverse. Now I have older cars from the 60's and you can hear a normal metal on metal noise when engaging a gear from the rear end, but I don't hear that here. I feel it. The parking brake is NOT engaged. When the car warms up, I'll shift it into reverse, back to drive and so on. Nothing. Smooth as butter

But now I'm paying attention. I'm over-aware, I think. I was on the highway today (in Sport mode) and was using the manual shifter. It was about 65 degrees today and the car was at normal OT. When I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, it seems like it shifts hard. I feel it, but not all the time. Maybe it's just being more aggressive? Is this normal? I don't drive the car very hard too often but like to let it rip sometimes.

It seems to be the mode I'm in. I'm just looking to see if this is normal, or these are signs that I'm going to be replacing the transmission. The dealer does all of the service. My last visit, the writer told me, verbatim, "We do not recommend changing the transmission fluid". I also asked him about a diff fluid change, and he said the tech checked off on them. They're fine. I'm not too sure how he can check off on them without opening it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Any other experiences? I'd really like someone to just tell me I'm being ridiculous hahaha.
68K miles is not that many though I did change my rear/front diff fluid and transmission fluid just so I would know what was inside. If you listen long enough, you will eventually hear something. There's a lot of moving parts on these cars and any other car.

As for the thud when putting it in gear is just the slack in the drive train. If you are concerned, have the engine mounts, transmission mounts, drive shaft, u-joints and CV joints checked. It is unlikely to be in the transmission itself producing the clunk.

Try this to see if it does it next time it is cold. Before you park for the night, put the car in reverse, set the parking brake then shift to park. In the morning, shift to reverse and see if it clunks before you release the parking brake. See if drive clunks since this should have preloaded reverse and now all the slack will be in drive. Release the parking brake and drive as normal.

About the firm shifting, in sport mode it would be more aggressive. That is intentional, it holds gears longer and shifts firmer.
The following users liked this post:
mtucci3 (03-09-22)
Old 02-21-22, 07:42 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
68K miles is not that many though I did change my rear/front diff fluid and transmission fluid just so I would know what was inside. If you listen long enough, you will eventually hear something. There's a lot of moving parts on these cars and any other car.
Did you do the change? Was it pretty easy? I know there's DIY Dan that shows how to do it, but pros always make it look easy. I'm a pretty handy guy though.

As for the thud when putting it in gear is just the slack in the drive train. If you are concerned, have the engine mounts, transmission mounts, drive shaft, u-joints and CV joints checked. It is unlikely to be in the transmission itself producing the clunk.
When it was at the dealer last week, I got a MPI report back and they referred to it as "extremely well taken care of" and "no immediate or future repairs predicted". I'm not too sure though. Maybe they just pushed it through. I was extremely thorough with the writer of what I wanted done. I asked him about the diffs, and it was kind of blown off as in "they're fine".

Try this to see if it does it next time it is cold. Before you park for the night, put the car in reverse, set the parking brake then shift to park. In the morning, shift to reverse and see if it clunks before you release the parking brake. See if drive clunks since this should have preloaded reverse and now all the slack will be in drive. Release the parking brake and drive as normal.
It will be cold Thursday. Another 20 degree drop, ice and snow. Ohio is the best haha. I'll do that on Thursday or Friday.

About the firm shifting, in sport mode it would be more aggressive. That is intentional, it holds gears longer and shifts firmer.
I'm not even sure if I should have described it as "firm". It was harder shifting, if anything. I had a 2018 CTS before this, and it shifted like crap. I never thought twice about it because it was under warranty, but with this car, my expectations are higher because it's a Japanese vehicle. I've owned a lot of Toyotas, but never a car bred like the GS. I could very well just be uneducated on the car. Definitely a big thanks for the response. I probably have myself worked up for nothing.
Old 02-21-22, 08:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Are you under a extended Warranty now? If so how long? How long do you plan to keep the car? Those are the things you may think about in if you change those 10 year old fluids....... or not. As you already said, how do they know conditions of the things they did not open and check?

Have you seen this or these? Many of them if you search. Good argument for both side. But is all the info for decisions, decisions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...f-is-real.html

Last edited by jgscott; 02-21-22 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-21-22, 08:49 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Knucklebus

Originally Posted by jgscott
Are you under a extended Warranty now? If so how long? How long do you plan to keep the car? Those are the things you may think about in if you change those 10 year old fluids....... or not. As you already said, how do they know conditions of the things they did not open and check?

Have you seen this or these? Many of them if you search. Good argument for both side. But is all the info for decisions, decisions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...f-is-real.html
I was hoping you'd come through on this haha. Definitely appreciate this.

I'm not under any warranty anymore. She's done. Flying solo. I plan to keep the car for a long time, however I historically don't. I do like this car more than all the others I've owned, and that's a lot of cars.

From what I read, and what Blackstone Labs say, leave it unless it leaks. I can trust that. I'd leave the transmission, but maybe change the diffs. Great thread. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-22, 05:10 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Did you do the change? Was it pretty easy? I know there's DIY Dan that shows how to do it, but pros always make it look easy. I'm a pretty handy guy though.
Yes, I changed them all myself but then again I have a lift, which makes everything a lot easier. The front diff was probably the hardest simply because it was the most confined space but still not a huge deal. The transmission requires you to get it to temp to verify it is full.

If you are handy, I would check the diffs to know for yourself. If you decide to change them, be sure you open the fill plug before you drain. If the fill plug is frozen, it becomes a lot more difficult to complete.
mtucci3 (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 07:03 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I plan to keep the car for a long time, however I historically don't.

From what I read, and what Blackstone Labs say, leave it unless it leaks. I can trust that.
Your car is pushing 10 years old now. If you keep it just another 2 years I'll bet it will be older than any other car you've ever owned.

If you historically don't keep a car a long time - what makes you think you'll suddenly change and keep this already old car even longer?

If you only do engine oil/filter changes along with engine/cabin air filters and wear items like brake pads/rotors, wipers, etc., that 2013 GS 350 will easily last another dozen years and be halfway to becoming an antique!
Old 02-22-22, 10:13 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I was hoping you'd come through on this haha. Definitely appreciate this.

I'm not under any warranty anymore. She's done. Flying solo. I plan to keep the car for a long time, however I historically don't. I do like this car more than all the others I've owned, and that's a lot of cars.

From what I read, and what Blackstone Labs say, leave it unless it leaks. I can trust that. I'd leave the transmission, but maybe change the diffs. Great thread. Thanks again.
Yea I just could not resist. I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I'll get the Party started!!!!!!!! If this was me, actually I do have a GS350, and have. lol! I would get the Trans Fluid, Filter, and Diffs Fluid changed. When I don't want to do myself I take it to = you save money TOYOTA Dealer. BTW: the Toyota Master Tech there have Tacoma's, Tundra's, Camrys, Supra's. Ask them if they service the Trans drain and fill and diff's on their own vehicles? Hell yes they All do!!!

Kinda like when I called Blackstone Labs to ask the Engineers and Techs what they think about 10k oil changes? Some even own Toyota's themselves. Their answer is 10k by manufacture is ok. When I asked 2 of them if they do 10k on they Toyota's they own? Answer was NO 6.5k-7k they change their oil and Toyota Brand filter. lol!

Why?
Let say you own another expensive piece of equipment that has a Motor and drive train with Fluids. Lets say like a Small Bob Cat, or a expensive riding mower, Snow Blower. It did lots of duty moving outside all the time, Hot Summer, Cold Winter. Would I leave the same Fluids with 50k, 75k, 100k in there for Ten Years??? No I would not. In addition too, did you read the link I posted and the post on Page 2 from Aisin - the Manufacture of the Transmission themselves and the Recommendations about their Transmission? Along with the fact that this same Trans had a dipstick just a few years ago, and required the same Fluid and Toyota/Lexus said service it? Then one year out of the Blue, it was no need to do? Also how come the Same exact GS350 with the same Trans and Diff, in different Countries with the same like Climate as the US, Lexus tells them to Service it every so many miles. Ummmmmmmmmm?

At the end of the day, again, it depends on how you want your car to drive, or if you are going to keep it to justify. Or do you want to drive it till the Trans go out? Go to the 3rd Gen GS350 forum just search Transmission. Likely all the other 4th Gen GS350 members here who have serviced, are not going to post, cause they are just so tired of the Transmission fluid or not threads. Being we have had some communications, I thought this might be useful to you. For the RECORD - I am Not saying anyone has to change those fluids. I am saying this is the researched I used is all.

Now putting on a Flame Retardant Suit.

Last edited by jgscott; 02-22-22 at 10:17 AM.
JeffKeryk (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 01:51 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

Yea I just could not resist. I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I'll get the Party started!!!!!!!! If this was me, actually I do have a GS350, and have. lol! I would get the Trans Fluid, Filter, and Diffs Fluid changed. When I don't want to do myself I take it to = you save money TOYOTA Dealer. BTW: the Toyota Master Tech there have Tacoma's, Tundra's, Camrys, Supra's. Ask them if they service the Trans drain and fill and diff's on their own vehicles? Hell yes they All do!!!

Kinda like when I called Blackstone Labs to ask the Engineers and Techs what they think about 10k oil changes? Some even own Toyota's themselves. Their answer is 10k by manufacture is ok. When I asked 2 of them if they do 10k on they Toyota's they own? Answer was NO 6.5k-7k they change their oil and Toyota Brand filter. lol!

Why?
Let say you own another expensive piece of equipment that has a Motor and drive train with Fluids. Lets say like a Small Bob Cat, or a expensive riding mower, Snow Blower. It did lots of duty moving outside all the time, Hot Summer, Cold Winter. Would I leave the same Fluids with 50k, 75k, 100k in there for Ten Years??? No I would not. In addition too, did you read the link I posted and the post on Page 2 from Aisin - the Manufacture of the Transmission themselves and the Recommendations about their Transmission? Along with the fact that this same Trans had a dipstick just a few years ago, and required the same Fluid and Toyota/Lexus said service it? Then one year out of the Blue, it was no need to do? Also how come the Same exact GS350 with the same Trans and Diff, in different Countries with the same like Climate as the US, Lexus tells them to Service it every so many miles. Ummmmmmmmmm?

At the end of the day, again, it depends on how you want your car to drive, or if you are going to keep it to justify. Or do you want to drive it till the Trans go out? Go to the 3rd Gen GS350 forum just search Transmission. Likely all the other 4th Gen GS350 members here who have serviced, are not going to post, cause they are just so tired of the Transmission fluid or not threads. Being we have had some communications, I thought this might be useful to you. For the RECORD - I am Not saying anyone has to change those fluids. I am saying this is the researched I used is all.

Mr cars are tools; I respect my tools, keep them cleaned and serviced. It doesn't matter if I plan to sell in a year or keep forever.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
jgscott (02-22-22), mtucci3 (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 06:42 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Your car is pushing 10 years old now. If you keep it just another 2 years I'll bet it will be older than any other car you've ever owned.

If you historically don't keep a car a long time - what makes you think you'll suddenly change and keep this already old car even longer?

If you only do engine oil/filter changes along with engine/cabin air filters and wear items like brake pads/rotors, wipers, etc., that 2013 GS 350 will easily last another dozen years and be halfway to becoming an antique!
That's a good question. Honestly, I like this car more than my Cadillac, any of my Avalons or my Acura (all were new but one). It just feels great and is fun to drive.

I'm a maintenance freak with all of my cars (except the Cadillac because I hated it), so hopefully I'll get a lot of years out of it. Chances are, I'll buy or lease a new one within the next couple years, but will most definitely keep this one as a toy.
Old 02-22-22, 08:28 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Why?

Looks like there is a good number of people with 3rd gen GS, who do have transmission problems.
Aren't these the same gearboxes, for 3rd gen and 2013 ? The A760E?
Old 02-23-22, 11:57 AM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zheka130
Looks like there is a good number of people with 3rd gen GS, who do have transmission problems.
Aren't these the same gearboxes, for 3rd gen and 2013 ? The A760E?
Seems I may very well have this transmission. I'd have to look it up to be sure.
Old 02-23-22, 07:25 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Seems I may very well have this transmission. I'd have to look it up to be sure.
There is a transmission code on the driver's door label. I believe all 2013s still had the 6 speed A760e gearbox.
BIt at the same time, these are proven transmissions, as they've been in service for years.
Old 02-23-22, 07:45 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zheka130
There is a transmission code on the driver's door label. I believe all 2013s still had the 6 speed A760e gearbox.
BIt at the same time, these are proven transmissions, as they've been in service for years.
My GS is an early model 13'. Mfr. in May of 2012 and sold in November, so my best guess is that it has that transmission. I'm going to check tomorrow.

Since I broke my drivers mirror tonight, and saw what they cost, I'm in a pretty foul mood lol