GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Driving ECO Mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-22, 04:56 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Default Driving ECO Mode

Been driving ECO mode and, ECO right foot only last few days.

Around Downtown Atl and Atl Metro. Had to give up on 6k rpm and up shifts for a while.

The following users liked this post:
AlexDev (03-24-22)
Old 03-06-22, 08:30 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I keep telling myself eco mode is a myth because I like being able to have power
Old 03-06-22, 11:22 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

I once achieved 432.5 miles on a single tank of gas when the fuel light came on. Range said I had 18 miles left. That would be 450 on a single tank. My second best was 424.3 miles with 1 mile range left. My wife was complaining as soon as the gas light came on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Knucklebus:
Im2bz2p345 (03-07-22), mtucci3 (03-10-22)
Old 03-07-22, 07:29 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

I think it's a guy thing to always want to take the tank to the limit. I have always played a game where I try to beat my previous record of how much gas it takes to fill up. Haven't yet started doing this with the GS. I love her too much to starve her out like that.
Old 03-07-22, 07:36 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

I tried ECO mode but it didnt really improve my fuel efficiency - perhaps due to my driving conditions.. I mostly just drive around town. And whatever it was it wasn't good enough to keep it on ECO over neutered feeling. I typically drive in Sport mode (not plus)
ECL (03-12-22)
Old 03-07-22, 08:58 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Eco mode only lasts me a few seconds before my MPG goes to crap again. I can do it on a Prius, got like 70 MPG last time by just feathering the throttle for the whole drive but can't do it in the GS. Nope! This car is always teasing me to have fun.
13LEXUSGS (03-18-22)
Old 03-07-22, 09:19 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Eco mode only lasts me a few seconds before my MPG goes to crap again. I can do it on a Prius, got like 70 MPG last time by just feathering the throttle for the whole drive but can't do it in the GS. Nope! This car is always teasing me to have fun.
That illustrates the point I will try to make. It is what you are used to. My other car is a beast. You can't give it too much throttle or you get sideways. It barks rubber when it hits second gear when in drive. It used to bark 3rd at 30MPH in drive until I changed engine and transmission. By comparison, driving the same way in the GS 350 AWD will never spin the tires in any non-ice/snow situation. It also gets more than twice the mileage of my other car.

This is a turn in second gear. You can hear the tires start to slip before the 3rd gear bark at 30MPH. Definitely not ECO mode.
ItzFilyO (03-07-22)
Old 03-07-22, 01:28 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Either you guys are doing all highway driving or there's something wrong with my car lol
Lfosse (03-31-22)
Old 03-07-22, 02:30 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Either you guys are doing all highway driving or there's something wrong with my car lol
Definitely my 450 mile tank was on a road trip, returning from Iowa to Central Kentucky.
NickMayer (03-14-22)
Old 03-07-22, 03:27 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Definitely my 450 mile tank was on a road trip, returning from Iowa to Central Kentucky.
What kind of mileage are u getting on the other GS? 3 MPG? lol
Old 03-07-22, 03:37 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

What ECO Drive Mode does that we cannot do by simply driving gently is to ramp down
the A/C compressor and fans and soften the cruise control response. The effect of ECO
is most noticeable in the summer and on highway trips that involve hilly terrain.

Deliberately turning off the A/C is unrealistic for most folks and just turning it to a higher
temp as with your home won't work, an auto system runs the compressor and blends in
more hot air!
Old 03-07-22, 04:02 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Will eco mode help in bumper to bumper traffic? Sometimes I set the car to eco and activate the auto cruise and let the car drive itself in traffic. It helps a lot with fatigue and it's nice.
Old 03-07-22, 04:17 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

What kind of mileage are u getting on the other GS? 3 MPG? lol
Actually, it is 9MPG the way I usually drive it. I have taken it on a few longer trips and it can pull down almost 12MPG on a good day. No AC, just a 7.6L engine.

Originally Posted by mcomer
What ECO Drive Mode does that we cannot do by simply driving gently is to ramp down
the A/C compressor and fans and soften the cruise control response. The effect of ECO
is most noticeable in the summer and on highway trips that involve hilly terrain.

Deliberately turning off the A/C is unrealistic for most folks and just turning it to a higher
temp as with your home won't work, an auto system runs the compressor and blends in
more hot air!
I know it is supposed to do all those things but I get about the same in all modes. If it makes some decimal point difference, I don't notice.

I find I getter mileage without cruise than I do with but it takes the strain off my legs with cruise. Not just in the GS either. I get 2-3 MPG better in my wife's Honda as well. I coast rather than power up to a light and brake later. I do make jackrabbit launches but that is the old racer in me coming out.

Will eco mode help in bumper to bumper traffic? Sometimes I set the car to eco and activate the auto cruise and let the car drive itself in traffic. It helps a lot with fatigue and it's nice.
Not much. The fact that you are stop and go, bumper to bumper is what kills mileage. If you aren't in high gear, you are not going to get good mileage.

About the only thing that helps in that kind of traffic would be a hybrid that can use the electric motor more and use the regen braking to charge. I'm not sure if the stop/start technology helped at all.
Old 03-07-22, 05:42 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Well well, thread going to 1970's cars, and some real not understanding of the Factory Designed Computer Controlled Mapping options of Toyota/Lexus ECO/Normal/Sport/Sport+ mode. No car will drive itself. So you can't push a button and automatically get 30 + mpg City.

Couple of ppl texted me laughing, and ask me, did you see your thread? Now I see why. So, we went from a Lexus feature to......... "I", "I", and just a few short post. LOL!

Like post #1 - it's both ECO mode and, ECO right foot. Always been right Foot from the start. ECO was just a additional feature with more than stated here to help you get even better MPG. Guess if you don't have the info about it, it does not work. Now that, I would concur is very true. lol!

From I think 2010. Many Lexus Owners use it to their advantage who get it and have figured it out.

This. They can help lead to the water..... but. Hope this helps at least somebody get better improved gas mileage.

Old 03-07-22, 05:59 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

My best tank... in Normal Mode, not all highway, but mostly. Range was down to zero and it took 16 gallons to fill up, so there was still about 1.5 gallons in the tank, maybe another 30 miles.

Knucklebus (03-07-22)

Quick Reply: Driving ECO Mode