GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

When water pump needs to be replaced and also accessories belt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 05:15 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default When water pump needs to be replaced and also accessories belt?

Hi good people,
i wonder my car is more than 200.000miles already and i have never replaced my water pump i also dont have any records that previous owner have done this,
after how many km or miles water pump needs to be replaced ,
i have same question in regards of accessorie belt i think was called. - of the car after how many km/miles needs to be replaced, please dont tell me they last forever...
Old 03-22-22, 08:43 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
Hi good people,
i wonder my car is more than 200.000miles already and i have never replaced my water pump i also dont have any records that previous owner have done this,
after how many km or miles water pump needs to be replaced ,
i have same question in regards of accessorie belt i think was called. - of the car after how many km/miles needs to be replaced, please dont tell me they last forever...
Just curious, which year GS are you driving?

Water pumps on these cars will likely not fail catastrophically, I think they'll start making noise before failing. Usually a good water pump should be able to last 150,000-250,000 kms.
The belt needs to be inspected for cracks. Every 100,000 kms is probably a good interval.
Some German cars use plastic impellers on the water pumps. These need to be PMed much more rigorously. Not on GSs though
Old 03-22-22, 09:58 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I’d replace them at the same time. The pump can leak and make noise and the labor costs to replace it is not much more than it would be to just replace the belt. Whatever has to be removed or loosened to get to the pump in most cases (I haven’t taken a hard look) would also have to be removed to replace the belt. Wouldn’t want to pay that labor cost twice.
Old 03-23-22, 02:36 AM
bladest
Instructor

Again after how many miles thermostat and belt needs to be replaced?
Old 03-23-22, 05:24 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

@bladest It usually makes sense to replace the thermostat when you are servicing the cooling system. There really is not a "mileage" interval for the thermostat.

As far as the belt, if it is a cause of concern you can ultimately replace whenever you are comfortable even if it is early.
Signs of issue with the belt could be based on noise(squeal) or visual inspection when you see cracking on the inside surface. In general, the serpentine belts are far more durable than the old days when cars had multiple belts needing replacement (usually 40k in the old days)

I personally look to replace the serpentine belt in the 60-70k range regardless of condition, but that's as a precaution.

Old 03-23-22, 12:33 PM
lexinvegas
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Water Pump

You'll probably get a lot of replies as to how long water pumps last, and most likely it is true. But there are exceptions, my 2017 GS350 F Sport has
water pump leak, and at only 14k miles!!! Also getting pushback from Lexus that they may not cover replacement (its certified) because its
not "bad enough" yet. Just sayin
Old 03-23-22, 12:45 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

If you were a paying customer they would bring the leaky water pump to your attention.
Old 03-23-22, 01:01 PM
bladest
Instructor

I have limited budget so i can choose between
Engine service / gearbox/ rear diferencial

or i can skip gearbox and rear differencial to do coolant service,
please advice me i recently bought the car at very high price + shipping company costed me a lot of money + insurance registration etcs...

My gearbox and rear differencial was never been serviced / as well as my coolant system...
which one i should choose car is more than 200.000miles
Old 03-23-22, 05:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I have limited budget so i can choose between
Engine service / gearbox/ rear diferencial

or i can skip gearbox and rear differencial to do coolant service,
please advice me i recently bought the car at very high price + shipping company costed me a lot of money + insurance registration etcs...

My gearbox and rear differencial was never been serviced / as well as my coolant system...
which one i should choose car is more than 200.000miles
Simple - choose the one that fails or breaks first - 'if' one actually ever does fail or break. Odds are very good they won't fail or break...
Old 03-23-22, 05:44 PM
bladest
Instructor

So i want to do preventative maintenance , not to fix costly repairs ?
So which one i should choose ?
Old 03-23-22, 06:32 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, if that’s your measure, service the item that if it fails, costs the most. A water pump is infinently cheaper to replace than the transmission or differential.
Old 03-23-22, 06:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Choose neither - nither...

Don't do preventative maintenance when maintenance it is not required or recommended.

Do you do preventative maintenance on your car's HVAC? Your home's refrigerator? Your television? Of course you don't! Why not ? Because no preventative maintenance is required or recommended and it would not extend its life, nor reduce repair cost if or when it ever did fail or break...
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22, 06:47 PM
bladest
Instructor

bclexus so do you ever change your differential oil cvt gearbox oil?

Home refrigerant is sealed unit , i do maintenance to my car hvac yes over time some of the refrigerant is lost... tv is sealed unit again....

on differential and gearbox and coolant of the radiuator and invertor all of these are liquids which needs to be changed at least 1 time per 10 years, diferrential oil more common...
Old 03-23-22, 07:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

bclexus so do you ever change your differential oil cvt gearbox oil?
► Absolutely not! They will never be touched regardless of mileage.

Home refrigerant is sealed unit , i do maintenance to my car hvac yes over time some of the refrigerant is lost... tv is sealed unit again....
► Correct, your refrigerator's refrigerant is in a sealed closed-loop unit. Apparently you do not know that your car's HVAC refrigerant in a sealed closed-loop unit too. Your refrigerator or your home's A/C or your car' A/C should NEVER leak or lose refrigerant. Your mechanic is lying to you if he says your car's A/C needs refrigerant added - - or you do have a leak which is highly unlikely in a Toyota or Lexus. Ford products, on the other hand, have always (for many decades) had issues with refrigerant seal rings leaking, but not Toyota/Lexus which have been known to last many decades with zero lost refrigerant.

on differential and gearbox and coolant of the radiuator and invertor all of these are liquids which needs to be changed at least 1 time per 10 years, diferrential oil more common...
► Nope! Absolutely not - differential and gearbox never needs their 'fluids' changed. Coolant maybe, but not necessarily.

I think you're just a worry wart by nature! You're trying to dream up things that will cause you problems or repairs when it is very unlikely to happen. I'm afraid you've lost touch with reality and common sense to some degree.

Last edited by bclexus; 03-23-22 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (03-23-22)
Old 03-24-22, 02:04 AM
bladest
Instructor

If you look into the manual and service intervals you can see that rear differential oil needs to be changed with genuine one
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...il-change.html

I own other japanese cars and they was leaking some refrigerant, so we filled them up and replaced o rings.

Quick Reply: When water pump needs to be replaced and also accessories belt?