GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sunroof Leaking from Rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 05:36 PM
codwii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof Leaking from Rear

I have a 2014 Lexus GS 350 F sport AWD with the sunroof rattle issue that sounds like a rear strut issue, After reading this forum, I learned that it was the sunroof rubber seal and I changed it.

After changing the rubber seal and placing back the sunroof, I decided to use a garden hose at the high pressure setting (note this is only a garden hose) and spray it directly on the seal.

Water started to come in the car from the rear of the sunroof in way less pressure than the garden hose. Thinking back at it, it would rarely ever rain that hard. Is this normal for water to come into the rear of the sunroof when sprayed directly with a garden hose, or is there a bigger issue that I have to worry about?

Thank you!
Old 04-15-22, 09:17 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

That is not normal, you may need to check the sunroof drain
Old 04-15-22, 09:48 PM
codwii
Driver School Candidate

I dont see the tray or the area around the drain filling up with water. I am thinking since its pressurized water?
Old 04-15-22, 10:31 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,160 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by codwii
I have a 2014 Lexus GS 350 F sport AWD with the sunroof rattle issue that sounds like a rear strut issue, After reading this forum, I learned that it was the sunroof rubber seal and I changed it.
After changing the rubber seal and placing back the sunroof, I decided to use a garden hose at the high pressure setting (note this is only a garden hose) and spray it directly on the seal.
Water started to come in the car from the rear of the sunroof in way less pressure than the garden hose. Thinking back at it, it would rarely ever rain that hard. Is this normal for water to come into the rear of the sunroof when sprayed directly with a garden hose, or is there a bigger issue that I have to worry about?
Thank you!
@codwii I think i agree with fellow member @initial that you should check your sunroof drain holes to see if they are somehow clogged.

In one of my previous posts, I had an issue where water was coming into the interior from the area directly below the drain hole as water collected and had no where to go because of dirt/grime buildup. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11064883

However, if you didn't have this problem before when washing the car or with heavy rain showers, the sunroof seal you replaced may not be in properly. If i remember correctly, the seal has green marks/dots that should sit at the front corners around the edge. Be sure the sunroof is able to fully close, open and tilt and there aren't any gaps or lifted areas as the seal should fit tight around the rim of the sunroof.

Is it an OEM/Lexus/Toyota seal?
Old 04-16-22, 10:27 AM
codwii
Driver School Candidate

It is a OEM Toyota seal. I believe it was the new and improved part. The part number is: 63251-30100.

I did position the seal where all 4 dots are on the corners and the rear of the seal has a small indent where I also lined that one up too.

I just checked the drains in the front of the sunroof and they do slurp the water and the water does come out of the front pinch weld areas. I was not sure how to test the rear drain holes.

I just put my garden hose on shower mode and a setting a bit harder than shower mode. It did not seem to leak. I saw 1-2 drops of water on the tray at the rear of the sunroof.

I was also looking at this post and mine would look like that if I put the high pressured water at a certain spot.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...ormal.1684577/

I am worried that I messed up the installation of the sunroof as I removed the whole thing in order to have better access to put on the seal but I do not think the tolerances to install the sunroof correctly are that exact.

The thing I should've done is a water test before removing the sunroof which I regret to see if it was like that all along.

I can confirm that putting the sunroof in with the new seal was tighter than removing it with the old seal.

Thank you guys/girls for all your help in trying to help me find a resolution.
Old 04-16-22, 10:43 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,964 Likes on 2,497 Posts

As stated several times in that TN thread the seal is not designed to be 100% water proof that is why there are drains in the roof trough. You need to check both drain tubes they terminate at the bottom of the fenders. If they are clear then don't know how to proceed.
Old 04-16-22, 10:48 AM
codwii
Driver School Candidate

I did pour a whole bottle of water at the two front drain tubes and I see the water trickling out both front pinch weld areas. Is there a way to test the rear drain holes. I cannot seem to see them even with the sunroof fully opened (hitting the sunroof open twice).
Old 04-16-22, 10:51 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,964 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Don't think there are rear drain tubes.