GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Biggest tires I can fit on AWD F-Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 04:19 PM
Kam7001
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Biggest tires I can fit on AWD F-Sport?

Hey everyone, I got a set of TE37s as all 4 of my rims were destroyed in under a year. As these new rims are expensive, I want to keep them safe. There is not enough information on the AWD GS 350 F sports when it comes to tires. I've seen users run 245s just fine on the AWD. All 4 of my tires are OEM 235/40-19s. I want to run 265 if possible. Some fat sidewalls will keep my babies safe. I've seen RWD model users run 275s on the rear tires. Does anyone with AWD model 19-inch rims run anything around 265? Any rubbing issues? Modifications required? I'm looking to lower my vehicle a bit as well but sidewall is a priority.

If anyone wants a set of OEM used Michelin tires, let me know.

TE37 19x8.5x114 +22 Offset

Old 04-23-22, 07:34 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Are you looking for maximum width or maximum sidewall?

Tire manufacturers have a minimum and maximum wheel width for each tire size. Additionally, with aggressive offsets, a wider tire could rub either the wheel arch on compression or the fender liner at full lock.

People have gone up to 245/40/19s. The speedometer reads approximately 1.8% slower than your actual speed due to the slightly taller sidewall. You can go up to a 255 on 8.5" wheels, but a 255/40 may look like an SUV tire on your car. You will have 1/4" of additional sidewall. I do not know if a 255/40 will rub with your offsets - the outer face of your wheel is pushed out 29mm, which means your tire will be mounted 29mm closer to the fender than stock. On top of that, you are considering running a wider tire, which will bring you even closer to the fender.

I personally would not put a 265 on anything narrower than a 9" wheel. On an 8.5" wheel, the sidewalls will bulge and your handling may be negatively affected.

You have an AWD - you can have different tire widths front and rear as long as the rolling diameter remains the same. You could run a 135/70/19 front and a 315/30/19 rear without problem, as those tires have the same height sidewall and the same rolling diameter. However, if you do not have staggered wheels, I would advise against installing staggered tires.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 04-23-22 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-24-22, 07:39 AM
Kam7001
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Are you looking for maximum width or maximum sidewall?

Tire manufacturers have a minimum and maximum wheel width for each tire size. Additionally, with aggressive offsets, a wider tire could rub either the wheel arch on compression or the fender liner at full lock.

People have gone up to 245/40/19s. The speedometer reads approximately 1.8% slower than your actual speed due to the slightly taller sidewall. You can go up to a 255 on 8.5" wheels, but a 255/40 may look like an SUV tire on your car. You will have 1/4" of additional sidewall. I do not know if a 255/40 will rub with your offsets - the outer face of your wheel is pushed out 29mm, which means your tire will be mounted 29mm closer to the fender than stock. On top of that, you are considering running a wider tire, which will bring you even closer to the fender.

I personally would not put a 265 on anything narrower than a 9" wheel. On an 8.5" wheel, the sidewalls will bulge and your handling may be negatively affected.

You have an AWD - you can have different tire widths front and rear as long as the rolling diameter remains the same. You could run a 135/70/19 front and a 315/30/19 rear without problem, as those tires have the same height sidewall and the same rolling diameter. However, if you do not have staggered wheels, I would advise against installing staggered tires.
TE37 19x8.5x114 +22 Offset specs of wheels.

I want sidewall more so than wider tires. I was thinking 245/45/19s but have seen others encounter issue with that setup but it's with oem wheels. My offset is lower than OEM since it's +22. I'll stick to squared setup and I'm also considering some coilovers for low summer and OEM winter ride height. I'm taking my car to a tire shop soon and they are willing to test out if any rubbing occurs with different sizes. Do you think 255/40/19 is overkill on width? I'll also try 245/45/19 but will likely end up with 245/40/19s.
Old 04-24-22, 08:46 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Kam7001
TE37 19x8.5x114 +22 Offset specs of wheels.

I want sidewall more so than wider tires. I was thinking 245/45/19s but have seen others encounter issue with that setup but it's with oem wheels. My offset is lower than OEM since it's +22. I'll stick to squared setup and I'm also considering some coilovers for low summer and OEM winter ride height. I'm taking my car to a tire shop soon and they are willing to test out if any rubbing occurs with different sizes. Do you think 255/40/19 is overkill on width? I'll also try 245/45/19 but will likely end up with 245/40/19s.
A 255/40/19 is going to be a half inch taller, quarter inch more sidewall all around. You get .1" more sidewall vs. a 245/40, but you are losing clearance to the fender and full lock, especially if you plan on lowering.

A 245/45/19 is going to be a full inch taller; half inch more sidewall all around. Your speedo will be 5% off, and you will have 12mm less clearance at full lock than stock 235/40/19. I do not know of anyone has run that size on a 4GS, and I would not recommend it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...on-19-awd.html - Last post claimed that on stock wheels (19x8 +45) 245/40/19 was rubbing the fender liners at full lock on both sides.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-upsizing.html - Corroboration that stock wheels with 245/40/19 will rub slightly at full lock.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...s-koopsgs.html - The below car has 19x8.5 +40 with 245/40/19. The owner has not complained of rubbing. Your wheels are 18mm further outboard than this car, so you may rub, especially if you lower the car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10524832 - The below car has RSR Down Springs, 19x8.5 +38, 245/40/19. The owner has not complained of rubbing. Again, your wheels will be 16mm further outboard.

Your best bet may be to buy a cheap used 255/40/19 to test fit. Install it on the front, bounce the suspension to get it to settle, check the wheel arch clearance and turn the wheel to full lock in both directionsto see if it contacts the liner, then install it on the rear, bounce, and check wheel arch clearance. No need to drive it.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 04-24-22 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (04-24-22)
Old 06-04-24, 08:39 PM
davidvu418
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great to see you included other owners and their experiences with their rims and tire specs. I was wondering, what’s the widest tire setup I could run on my 2017 GS350 Base with little to no rubbing? Currently, I’m running Teehee's 19x8.5 +30 with 245/40r19, but I want to go wider with a height between OEM and 40r19. What should I run?

In the future, I plan to do a GSF fender conversion, including the fender and inner wheel well. At that point, I’d like to run the widest tire setup possible without scraping any part of the wheel well.

Also how do you find out whether or not something isn't going to clear, is there a calculator out there, or have you just done the physical work on it?
Old 06-05-24, 06:06 AM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

255/35r19 is what I believe you could do all around, provided you do a few things or at least are prepared to.
First, you need a wheel 9 to 9.5" wide. An 8.5 would be too narrow IMO.*. Second, you'd need the perfect offset. My math (big *** spreadsheet) says that's like +40mm or so for a 9.5", and +35 or so for 9". Third consideration is the possibility that you may still rub some of the fender liner, so I'm prepared to grab my heat gun and an ice pack and get to work, if necessary. You can heat up an offending bit of the liner, push it out using some force, and cool it down in it's new position with an ice pack. Fourth, it may be necessary to ever so carefully bend the mounting tabs just a hair. Nothing extreme, but it might end up too close, will just have to see. All of this depends on the factors of alignment, suspension height, wheel width and offset, tire choice, etc. But I do maintain that I believe a 255/35r19 will fit the front with these modifications.

Right now I have put all mods on hold to weather the financial storm we're in for now, just trying to clear debts and end up with a better surplus, etc. But that does not stop me from researching obsessively, plotting options with spreadsheets, etc. And so, that's why I maintain it should be possible.
It would also become very important to tackle the loose, weak lower control arm bushing with wider front tires, so that's part of my plan as well. RR racing units will probably solve for it.

*It physically fits the 8.5" wheel, sure, but if you've seen some TireRack tests on wheel width and tire width compared, you'll notice there's an important characteristic of improved handling when the tire and wheel are either squared up with each other, or if the wheel is just slightly wider, not the other way around. Exception would be drag racing which I'm leaving out of the topic.*
The following users liked this post:
GrandSedanFan (06-05-24)
Old 06-05-24, 10:15 AM
davidvu418
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
255/35r19 is what I believe you could do all around, provided you do a few things or at least are prepared to.
First, you need a wheel 9 to 9.5" wide. An 8.5 would be too narrow IMO.*. Second, you'd need the perfect offset. My math (big *** spreadsheet) says that's like +40mm or so for a 9.5", and +35 or so for 9". Third consideration is the possibility that you may still rub some of the fender liner, so I'm prepared to grab my heat gun and an ice pack and get to work, if necessary. You can heat up an offending bit of the liner, push it out using some force, and cool it down in it's new position with an ice pack. Fourth, it may be necessary to ever so carefully bend the mounting tabs just a hair. Nothing extreme, but it might end up too close, will just have to see. All of this depends on the factors of alignment, suspension height, wheel width and offset, tire choice, etc. But I do maintain that I believe a 255/35r19 will fit the front with these modifications.

Right now I have put all mods on hold to weather the financial storm we're in for now, just trying to clear debts and end up with a better surplus, etc. But that does not stop me from researching obsessively, plotting options with spreadsheets, etc. And so, that's why I maintain it should be possible.
It would also become very important to tackle the loose, weak lower control arm bushing with wider front tires, so that's part of my plan as well. RR racing units will probably solve for it.

*It physically fits the 8.5" wheel, sure, but if you've seen some TireRack tests on wheel width and tire width compared, you'll notice there's an important characteristic of improved handling when the tire and wheel are either squared up with each other, or if the wheel is just slightly wider, not the other way around. Exception would be drag racing which I'm leaving out of the topic.*
Thank you for your insight, I think I would want a friend with some more mechanical knowledge to work with me when it comes the time for me to get those big ole rims and tires on the car. I also love to do research even if I don't have the financing to commit to any of these ideas any time soon. The economy really scare me though as a young adult in college so I can't be spending ***** nilly
What other things have you done research on, I'm quite interested and would love to learn more!
Old 06-06-24, 06:19 AM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by davidvu418
...What other things have you done research on, I'm quite interested and would love to learn more!
I PM'd you to keep the thread o.t., and thank you for the compliment!