GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tired of the Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 12:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Default Tired of the Steering wheel

Yes I am so tired of the big Truck like steering wheel. But no, I personally don't want a aftermarket CF wheel in my Lux. Anyone know if any of the other Lexus models that have smaller wheels will swap over to the 2013 GS? Thanks
Old 04-23-22, 12:50 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

The wood wheel in the Lux Pkg cars is one of the reasons I didn't end up springing for one. Love the look and feel of the F Sport wheel.

Think I read somewhere on this sub that the RC F wheel is smaller and can be swapped? Hope someone can confirm.
Old 04-23-22, 01:01 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Isn't the F Sport wheel the same diameter around? hummmmm, need to check with one of my F Sport friends to compare. I drove them many times before but do not remember it being smaller but, now IDK?

The RC has the newer type steering wheel controls on the 16+ I thought? I read they could not be changed over or swapped to work. Again I am talking about the 13-15 models only. I'm talking about how so big around the wheel is like a truck size steering wheel.
Old 04-23-22, 07:13 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

The GS-F has the same steering wheel as the IS and RC. It's a half inch smaller and feels like the perfect size. I don't know if the controls are plug and play, but I really hope so. It's on the wishlist.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (04-23-22)
Old 04-23-22, 08:33 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Great, now I think I want a smaller diameter steering wheel. I didn't notice it until now.....
Old 04-23-22, 10:51 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by 00goobs
Great, now I think I want a smaller diameter steering wheel. I didn't notice it until now.....
My first experience in a 4GS was a GS-F on track. I was able to go hand over hand no problem. In my car, my knuckles brush my thighs unless I set the wheel half an inch higher than feels natural. It's a shame, because our wheel (shared with the RX350) is much nicer to look at, but I would give it up for the extra clearance.

I have a heated wheel, a feature I am not willing to give up, so I'd need to find a facelift RC/IS F-Sport heated wheel with white stitching and pray that the buttons and heater all work.
signdetres (06-15-22)
Old 04-24-22, 08:41 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Why did they put such a big damm wheel in the GS like a SUV in the 1st place? The Lux and the F Sport have the same big ole Truck wheel. I don't have it anymore but I I think my ES350 U/L wheel was a bit smaller?
Old 04-24-22, 09:45 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
In my car, my knuckles brush my thighs unless I set the wheel half an inch higher than feels natural.
Ok I've definitely noticed this as well! I guess the wheel is big
Old 04-24-22, 10:41 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I'm opposite I love the look/touch/feel of the bamboo on my 450h steering wheel. I still have clearance from my thighs with the wheel in my ideal position. If I was bigger I'd have to drop the height of the seat. If the steering wheel didn't retract getting in/out would be harder.
Old 04-24-22, 12:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Its not the Wood I have problems with. I like my Wood and the feel too. In fact one of my F Sport friends drove my car and the 1st comment he had was how the solid wood felt better to him. He did not know there was a different wheel in the Lux and liked the feel much better than the F Sport soft wheel. Its just how big and Truck like round it is. My Optima has a nice small Performance car type Flat bottom wheel. Stock.

I don't think they could have made it any bigger.

Old 04-24-22, 04:07 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Yes I am so tired of the big Truck like steering wheel. But no, I personally don't want a aftermarket CF wheel in my Lux. Anyone know if any of the other Lexus models that have smaller wheels will swap over to the 2013 GS? Thanks
So, are you not happy with the outside diameter of 14.5" or the rim diameter of 4.25"? That wheel is smaller than several wheels and historically, cars had much larger diameter wheels and much smaller rim diameters. My wife's Honda HR-V wheels is almost exactly the same dimensions as the Lexus GS wheel in my car.

I've wrapped (and often padded) several steering wheels and there are issues with increasing/decreasing the wheel diameter or increasing the rim diameter. For instance, if you shrink the wheel diameter, you might have issues seeing the cluster or other indicators with the desired position.

What diameter do you feel would be better?

The reason I ask is I'm considering finding another heated Lexus GS wheel and tearing the leather covering off and see if I can recover the whole wheel in a single cover.

For reference, these are the majority of the wheels I wrap and pad. They are various GM wheels, from 14" Corvette wheels (top right, solid spokes), 16" 1961 Biscayne and the 15" Buick/Chevy wheels finger grooves on the back and barely over 3" in diameter on the rim. The one I wrapped with padding is center right.

Steering wheels.

Old 04-24-22, 04:17 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
So, are you not happy with the outside diameter of 14.5" or the rim diameter of 4.25"? That wheel is smaller than several wheels and historically, cars had much larger diameter wheels and much smaller rim diameters. My wife's Honda HR-V wheels is almost exactly the same dimensions as the Lexus GS wheel in my car.

I've wrapped (and often padded) several steering wheels and there are issues with increasing/decreasing the wheel diameter or increasing the rim diameter. For instance, if you shrink the wheel diameter, you might have issues seeing the cluster or other indicators with the desired position.

What diameter do you feel would be better?

The reason I ask is I'm considering finding another heated Lexus GS wheel and tearing the leather covering off and see if I can recover the whole wheel in a single cover.

For reference, these are the majority of the wheels I wrap and pad. They are various GM wheels, from 14" Corvette wheels (top right, solid spokes), 16" 1961 Biscayne and the 15" Buick/Chevy wheels finger grooves on the back and barely over 3" in diameter on the rim. The one I wrapped with padding is center right.

Steering wheels.
Outer diameter. I measured my facelift steering wheel at 15", and corroborated that with RX350 owners. The IS/RC/GS-F wheel is 14.5". The thickness is not a problem - thinner wheels are better for steering feel and I have no problem with the thickness of mine.

I have not driven a pre-facelift 4GS. Are the pre-facelift steering wheels 14.5"?

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 04-24-22 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-25-22, 01:12 PM
lexinvegas
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Steering Wheel

When I first read this thread, I thought "what are these guys talking about" I considered the wheel on my 2017 F Sport to be just right, then went out
and looked at it. Damn, they are right, it is big! Measured it at 15", then went and measured the wheel on my 2018 IS 300 F Sport, which was 14.5", larger than
I thought it would be. Almost wish I hadn't read the thread, ignorance is bliss I guess.
greys0uled (04-26-22)
Old 04-25-22, 01:47 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Sorry Guys. Maybe I should and add a WARNING - You may never like again "don't open this unless" to the title.

I have it the worst as I am OCD about little things like this, and one day I just got so aggravated sitting in the car.
greys0uled (04-26-22)
Old 04-25-22, 04:41 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Sorry Guys. Maybe I should and add a WARNING - You may never like again "don't open this unless" to the title.

I have it the worst as I am OCD about little things like this, and one day I just got so aggravated sitting in the car.
Send me a spare steering wheel. I can make the smaller diameter circle and flat bottom. Then Knucklebus can wrap it up.
ClubLexus 4GS exclusive.....

And, I am adjusting my steering wheel up and down in discomfort after you brought this up.....

Quick Reply: Tired of the Steering wheel