GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Random thought on…

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 03:08 PM
Lis4Lexus
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Random thought on…

I see a lot of post and threads were they say cold air intakes are no good and pointless for the car if this is true why does the fsport come with a factory cold air intake?
Old 04-23-22, 03:18 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Lis4Lexus
why does the fsport come with a factory cold air intake?
There's not one in my F Sport lol
Old 04-23-22, 03:35 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
There's not one in my F Sport lol
Most stock intakes are cold air intakes. Our car gets fresh air from the top of the front grill, doesn't really get colder than that. Anything that sucks air from inside the engine bay is hot air, like a short ram intake that doesn't go into a box
Old 04-23-22, 03:37 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

People change intake for sound, performance gain is negligible at best.
Old 04-23-22, 04:39 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Most or nearly all OEM air intakes are cold air intakes. The use of that term for the typical aftermarket tube with a cone filter is a misnomer as they actually are hot air intakes since they ingest hot air from the engine bay instead of an ambient source.
Old 04-23-22, 05:42 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by peasodos
Most stock intakes are cold air intakes. Our car gets fresh air from the top of the front grill, doesn't really get colder than that. Anything that sucks air from inside the engine bay is hot air, like a short ram intake that doesn't go into a box
I thought cold air intakes are the ones that are out in the open and not air boxes?
Old 04-23-22, 05:43 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The GS comes with a cold air intake from the factory. Putting on a short ram will make it a "hot air intake" basically. If you want to make your engine bay look cleaner, then just swap out the intake tube but keep the stock intake box.
Old 04-23-22, 05:54 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

Think all those posts meant aftermarket cold air intakes.
Old 04-23-22, 06:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Its not so much that with Cone type, that the Hot air is the main problem, as some have a dividers shields for them to draw cool air from the front. There are documented Intake air flow cfm numbers for them here, in the IS Forum you can get from a hook up of Techsteam that tells you the CFM and Temp of the intake air, and TB opening percentage.

The RR Racing and K&N both of which were flow bench tested and designed will work with the stock airbox to improve a bit. With the Stock exhaust not so much. With Exhaust mods more so. Those 2 do not feed the MAF too much air that it closes down the TB opening percentage. The main problem with the Cones are they flow too much air. When the Lexus MAP ECU sees too much air to the mass air flow sensor it starts reducing the Throttle Body opening for some reason, and closing it down to compensate for the factory values. So install the Cone filter, its gets more air, MAF closes TB = you lose hp instead by installing the cone. This is on all the 2GR motors. A few people have been able to kinda trick the MAF and/or use a different one and gotten the Cone to work with producing more hp. One member in the IS Forum is actually making some good progress with a Tune and changes and getting the TB to stay open more with the more air flowing cones. He's monitoring the progress and posted the CFM, air temp and TB opening percentages gains he has improved quite a bit.

So yes the Cone filters can work, but no they don't by just buying one and installing stock. If you just install a Cone type on the Lexus 350 motors stock you will actually lose hp.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-23-22 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-23-22, 06:06 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Yeah I need to do some research, I’m confused what is what lol
Old 04-23-22, 09:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Its not so much that with Cone type, that the Hot air is the main problem, as some have a dividers shields for them to draw cool air from the front. There are documented Intake air flow cfm numbers for them here, in the IS Forum you can get from a hook up of Techsteam that tells you the CFM and Temp of the intake air, and TB opening percentage.

The RR Racing and K&N both of which were flow bench tested and designed will work with the stock airbox to improve a bit. With the Stock exhaust not so much. With Exhaust mods more so. Those 2 do not feed the MAF too much air that it closes down the TB opening percentage. The main problem with the Cones are they flow too much air. When the Lexus MAP ECU sees too much air to the mass air flow sensor it starts reducing the Throttle Body opening for some reason, and closing it down to compensate for the factory values. So install the Cone filter, its gets more air, MAF closes TB = you lose hp instead by installing the cone. This is on all the 2GR motors. A few people have been able to kinda trick the MAF and/or use a different one and gotten the Cone to work with producing more hp. One member in the IS Forum is actually making some good progress with a Tune and changes and getting the TB to stay open more with the more air flowing cones. He's monitoring the progress and posted the CFM, air temp and TB opening percentages gains he has improved quite a bit.

So yes the Cone filters can work, but no they don't by just buying one and installing stock. If you just install a Cone type on the Lexus 350 motors stock you will actually lose hp.
I think that's what happened on my old Camry before. It was a 2011 V6 with the 2GR-FE. It actually felt slower after I installed the K&N cone intake. All bark and no bite basically.
Old 04-23-22, 09:59 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think that's what happened on my old Camry before. It was a 2011 V6 with the 2GR-FE. It actually felt slower after I installed the K&N cone intake. All bark and no bite basically.
I installed a cold air intake back in the day on a 1998 Honda Accord. All noise and placebo. Once I took it off I never made that mistake again, I was also a teenager, this was right before I riced out a 2010 Honda Civic, then finally matured when I bought the GS.
Old 04-23-22, 11:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I installed a cold air intake back in the day on a 1998 Honda Accord. All noise and placebo. Once I took it off I never made that mistake again, I was also a teenager, this was right before I riced out a 2010 Honda Civic, then finally matured when I bought the GS.
Yeah, we all went through that phase in life.
Old 04-24-22, 04:16 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

I have Takeda CAI just for the sound and love it. I have it paired with Borla axleback and no tune and didn’t notice any real performance difference for better or worse. At most I think throttle response has improved. I recently did a 0-60 with my tires way overinflated around 40-43 psi and still timed it at 5.6-5.7 seconds. A cold air intake without additional engine/exhaust mods paired with a tune isn’t going to do much. But if you want the sound it’s worth it. I would even say get it over an axleback if sound is all you want without being crazy loud
The following users liked this post:
amerrival (03-22-24)
Old 04-24-22, 09:03 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

What did you time with? If you got rid of the Takeda, used the RR or K&N Tube and Filter with the stock air Box you would notice some improvement. You are losing hp with the Takeda. It documented everywhere with the 2GR. Don't understand why spend $350 for noise that def loses some hp.

If anyone just wants the noise (I don't know why), when you already have a Factory noise Generator. You can do the Lexus F Sport lower Air Box Mod for Free and gain a little if you have exhaust. All you have to do is cut. Its been well documented timed and Dyno'd many years and times with the IS350 crowd. I personally did not do this because I hate the whaaaaaaa Intake sound. I did something else with ECU Tuning included.

Quick Reply: Random thought on…