GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Spark Plug Change and Cylinder Head Images On High Mileage GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-22, 06:58 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

A $60k MSRP Lexus. The advise is to cheap out on $60.00 saving in plugs that Lexus has a recommended 60k replace/change interval on by the service requirement. Ok if it excites one to save $60 it's very Weird to me. I wont do it.

Even more Weirdo is those who in other threads say just do what Lexus says they made the car, blah, blah, blah. Weird and hypocritically strange? Its your car take the cheapo advise and dance around at your $60 savings. lol!

Last edited by jgscott; 05-04-22 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 11:59 AM
CMK
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna trust the engineers who put thousands and thousands of miles' worth of data into spreadsheets and analysis software rather than a few folks who've "always done it this way" (seems to be the most common excuse). As active as this forum is, all these anecdotes aren't going to add up to a statistically valuable sample size.
Old 05-04-22, 01:07 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CMK
I'm gonna trust the engineers who put thousands and thousands of miles' worth of data into spreadsheets and analysis software rather than a few folks who've "always done it this way" (seems to be the most common excuse). As active as this forum is, all these anecdotes aren't going to add up to a statistically valuable sample size.
That's your prerogative. With lead-free fuels, fuel injection and iridium plugs, they are not worn out at 60K miles.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (05-04-22)
Old 05-05-22, 06:25 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by CMK
I'm gonna trust the engineers who put thousands and thousands of miles' worth of data into spreadsheets and analysis software
I'm gonna blow your mind - the factory engineers don't write the service schedule! Servicing requirements differ between regions of the world!

Originally Posted by jgscott
A $60k MSRP Lexus. The advise is to cheap out on $60.00 saving in plugs that Lexus has a recommended 60k replace/change interval on by the service requirement.
I know right. I guess it's their bogan right, a 10 yr old Lexus wouldn't be a 10 yr old Lexus without service items skipped! I can't talk though, I deferred my fuel filter change by 45000km until it's next due.

Last edited by Cwang; 05-05-22 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 06:33 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cwang
I'm gonna blow your mind - the factory engineers don't write the service schedule! Servicing requirements differ between regions of the world!
I will also bet that there is a monetary incentive to have the vehicle brought to the dealership at regular intervals. They trade them in, they upsell services, they sell tires, brakes, etc.

The old, "You can run them a while longer but you are going to need brakes/tires pretty soon." and they tell the service writer to go ahead, while I'm here. I don't want to make another trip.
bclexus (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 09:00 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Don't do any service just put gas in and drive till it breaks. Save penny's. Give a like for don't service post. Its the new GS owners here now thing. Its your car, your choice. Everyone is entitled to decide about servicing their own car. Crazy though to knock those who do the service. Again I remind of what comes later. If you want to experiment and risk go ahead and push the envelope of neglecting and $60k nice car to save $30 on a 7k oil change, no Trans fluid change, lifetime plugs, and cheap low octane gas. Call it a waste of money and do the el cheapen out nothing broke yet Dance. The service and recommendations you can convince yourself of a conspiracy theory. Engines don't have problems ever, transmission don't break, fluids are no needed. Its conspired by all the shops on all cars. The ones in the shop with problems are just lies. lol!

Go through the 1st 4 pages of each of the future of your engine and Transmission you have the same.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...013-163-2.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...011-153-2.html

Now speaking on the Lexus and the Engineers, just go to a Toyota shop or Lexus shop and ask a Tech who works on them everyday what they think about no need to do this, no need to do that? See if they give you their experience everyday and tell you no need to? Most own a Toyota/Lexus themselves. So from their experience they just waste money on maintaining their own Lexus even though they can fix themselves because they never see a problem. Really? Ok. Yes there are 2 schools of thought and some inexperience of what keeps Toyota/Lexus's so reliable and the reason that built that reliability rep. Good luck on you choice as its 2022 and your car is getting up there, you likely got used that had excellent service history from the prior owner, prior to your ownership and/or your decision to change for servicing, or not choice.

Last edited by jgscott; 05-05-22 at 09:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
jkeller (05-05-22), michaelz (05-25-22)
Old 05-05-22, 11:24 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

A $60k MSRP Lexus. The advise is to cheap out on $60.00 saving in plugs that Lexus has a recommended 60k replace/change interval on by the service requirement. Ok if it excites one to save $60 it's very Weird to me. I wont do it.
spark plug interval at 60k is a more of a requirement for emission standards. I have a Japanese service schedule and it’s much higher than 60k.

Old 05-05-22, 12:25 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by 703
spark plug interval at 60k is a more of a requirement for emission standards. I have a Japanese service schedule and it’s much higher than 60k.
My wife's 2003 Honda Pilot had no requirement for any service before 100K except for the oil/filter and the rear end which wasn't a differential because with it locked in park and only rear one wheel off the ground, that rear wheel spun like it wasn't attached to anything.

Plugs need to be changed because they a) stop firing/fouled or b) the gap eroded and causes erratic spark. The new iridium plugs won't foul unless you are burning oil and the gap won't open up due to erosion. Most people do it because, just because. Those brand new plugs will look like the 60K plugs in less than a tank of gas. You probably do more good by taking it for a test drive and running it hard, which blows out the carbon.
bclexus (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 12:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
My wife's 2003 Honda Pilot had no requirement for any service before 100K except for the oil/filter and the rear end which wasn't a differential because with it locked in park and only rear one wheel off the ground, that rear wheel spun like it wasn't attached to anything.

Plugs need to be changed because they a) stop firing/fouled or b) the gap eroded and causes erratic spark. The new iridium plugs won't foul unless you are burning oil and the gap won't open up due to erosion. Most people do it because, just because. Those brand new plugs will look like the 60K plugs in less than a tank of gas. You probably do more good by taking it for a test drive and running it hard, which blows out the carbon.
Knucklebus (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 12:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
But how well do you thinking the engine is performing if it fails emissions needing plugs? lol!
Old 05-05-22, 12:50 PM
Lead Lap

But how well do you thinking the engine is performing if it fails emissions needing plugs? lol!
Emission regulations calls for spark plug change at least once every 60k miles. Has nothing to with the specific engine, plug or engineering of the vehicle.

Its a motherhood blanket requirement for all vehicles.

The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
bclexus (05-05-22), Knucklebus (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 12:57 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
Emission regulations calls for spark plug change at least once every 60k miles. Has nothing to with the specific engine, plug or engineering of the vehicle.

Yes I know but.... that was Not my question.
Old 05-05-22, 01:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes you can just drive it until post #14 happens. Don't need to maintain your car, if you don't know you don't know and will think everything is fine until. Yep that's one way to do what you don't want with one's own car. When it breaks you can simply test drive run it hard and it will fix the blown engine alright. ok. lol!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10737536

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ment-cost.html
Old 05-05-22, 01:09 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by 703

Exactly, they will easily run 100K miles without any issues. Changing them at 60K is wasteful and unnecessary. These engines will tell you when a plug is not firing as required. They will start dropping a spark once in a while before they get bad enough for the above average Joseph to notice.
bclexus (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 02:37 PM
Lead Lap

Yes I know but.... that was Not my question.
I’m not sure what your question is and how that relates to my comment around the spark plug change interval. I’m not suggesting that people drive their car till there is an issue. Simply pointing out the 60k interval has got little to do with actual spark plug performance.

Last edited by 703; 05-05-22 at 02:40 PM.
bclexus (05-05-22)

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change and Cylinder Head Images On High Mileage GS