GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus gs450h no brakes/serious issue please help..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 05:52 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Don't give up, you both live in BG, time for meetup.
He hates me the same way you do or even more.
Do you think my misteriious green fluid is brake fluid or ?
can u make provide pictures of your brake fluid reservoar is it into the maximum or min or empty like mine?

If it is brake fluid the bigger problem is fixing the leak, what can be the issue is there some big pipe rubber or something else which connects rear left and right wheel with brake fluid or it can be parking brake actuator or something ?
Should i top my fluid reservoar to the maximum level.

Old 04-30-22, 06:58 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 474 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
He hates me the same way you do or even more.
Do you think my misteriious green fluid is brake fluid or ?
can u make provide pictures of your brake fluid reservoar is it into the maximum or min or empty like mine?

If it is brake fluid the bigger problem is fixing the leak, what can be the issue is there some big pipe rubber or something else which connects rear left and right wheel with brake fluid or it can be parking brake actuator or something ?
Should i top my fluid reservoar to the maximum level.
Topping off won't do a thing if there's a leak. You're just throwing money down the drain at that point. Find the leak and fix it.

I thought you had a mechanic working on this? Sounds like you need to find a better mechanic.
Old 04-30-22, 07:18 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
Topping off won't do a thing if there's a leak. You're just throwing money down the drain at that point. Find the leak and fix it.

I thought you had a mechanic working on this? Sounds like you need to find a better mechanic.
i dont have mechanic at the moment i will use road assistance to deliver car to some repair place for fix in the coming weeks
Old 04-30-22, 07:56 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

Yup, pretty amazing that the car ended up like this with it being in a mechanic's shop for... months?

Anyways.

Your car's brake lines are practically the same as every other vehicle on the road. ABS block >> hydraulic lines (hard under the body, flexible near the suspension & calipers, for first grade obvious reasons). You can inspect those for signs of leakage (obviously wet areas). A leak on the floor tells you almost nothing by itself.

If you're having trouble figuring out where to look with your phone underneath the car:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...alkaround.html
this would be a good start. Not a very "exotic" car underneath :P

Start the car, immediately stop it and watch the reservoir while the brake actuator makes its "release all fluid (solenoid releasing pressurized fluid sound) & compress it again (brake pump motor running sound)" test - it does this some seconds to minutes after the car has been turned off. This is the only time when you can see the actual brake fluid level, since it releases all (well, most of?) the accumulated pressurized brake fluid back into the reservoir. If you have access to techstream, do an "accumulator zero down" and then check the fluid level - top up to MAX.

Everything I just described applies to any Toyota/Lexus hybrid.

Very theoretically, green brake fluid might mean biological contamination - which can mean flood damage, or the more likely case of the brake fluid having never been changed.

Originally Posted by peasodos
Don't give up, you both live in BG, time for meetup.
He's lost pretty much any and all respect and goodwill in this country.

Originally Posted by Robertcave
for crying out loud man scrap the car and cut your losses its just a money pit you will never stop spending money on it
Given his posts, I'd be extremely reluctant to believe any of his claims regarding "many problems, lalala". Doesn't strike me as very knowledgeable, critically thinking or attempting to look things up. Trying to put some sense in him via PMs leads to nothing - a public discourse certainly has at least SOME value, especially with everyone and their dog pointing out the flaws in his logic & narrative - a switch might flip at some point.
Old 04-30-22, 09:21 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Yup, pretty amazing that the car ended up like this with it being in a mechanic's shop for... months?

Anyways.

Your car's brake lines are practically the same as every other vehicle on the road. ABS block >> hydraulic lines (hard under the body, flexible near the suspension & calipers, for first grade obvious reasons). You can inspect those for signs of leakage (obviously wet areas). A leak on the floor tells you almost nothing by itself.

If you're having trouble figuring out where to look with your phone underneath the car:
this would be a good start. Not a very "exotic" car underneath :P

Start the car, immediately stop it and watch the reservoir while the brake actuator makes its "release all fluid (solenoid releasing pressurized fluid sound) & compress it again (brake pump motor running sound)" test - it does this some seconds to minutes after the car has been turned off. This is the only time when you can see the actual brake fluid level, since it releases all (well, most of?) the accumulated pressurized brake fluid back into the reservoir. If you have access to techstream, do an "accumulator zero down" and then check the fluid level - top up to MAX.

Everything I just described applies to any Toyota/Lexus hybrid.

Very theoretically, green brake fluid might mean biological contamination - which can mean flood damage, or the more likely case of the brake fluid having never been changed.

He's lost pretty much any and all respect and goodwill in this country.

Given his posts, I'd be extremely reluctant to believe any of his claims regarding "many problems, lalala". Doesn't strike me as very knowledgeable, critically thinking or attempting to look things up. Trying to put some sense in him via PMs leads to nothing - a public discourse certainly has at least SOME value, especially with everyone and their dog pointing out the flaws in his logic & narrative - a switch might flip at some point.
Brake fluid, spill is from yesterday! If mechanics or agency which sold me the car knew anything about this, they have never informed me i am in the dark, and i am afraid of my money pit and i cant drive the car...
I Topped the tank to the full today,so it can spill more on the floor, interesting thing is brake fluid doesnt have any colour may be it reacts with some chemicals or something thats why the colour change to more green,i am not a mechanic , like most of you.
i go to shops and i pay to them premium so they can rip me off with dodgy work..
Do you think i made up every of my posts and also i made up all of my pictures ?
So according to you everything is fake,
But in reality everything is real from the car issues..

Can someone make me picture of his car stopped not running at all and the level of brake fluid reservoar mine was empty and below min , on stopped engine off car i topped it to the maximum level is this acceptable i am aware it will leak...

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-30-22 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Do not post illegal content site links
Old 04-30-22, 10:28 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

If you'd read my post (that you quoted) or googled "green brake fluid", you would've figured out the possible reasons by now.

As for this:

Originally Posted by bladest
i also cant open the russian site for service manual of the car, can you open it ?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...hibited_topics
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (04-30-22)
Old 04-30-22, 11:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Take your pick on the reason/cause for the green color of the brake fluid:

• The green color of the brake fluid could be the result of mistakenly using Prestone antifreeze instead of Prestone brake fluid.

• Toyota factory assembly grease used in the assembly of the master cylinder is often green which could make the brake fluid take-on a green look.

• Marine Biobased VGP (Vessel General Permit) environmental compliant Hydraulic System Mineral Oil is colored green which may have been erroneously used/added instead of approved brake fluid.

• The brake fluid is attacking the copper in the brake line tubing or brazed joints. Steel brake line tubing is spiral wound and brazed with brass which has copper content.

• Brake ABS units have brass/copper components which the brake fluid, or an erroneously used fluid, may be attacking.

• If the vehicle has been in a flood the green looking brake fluid could be green slimy algae.
Old 04-30-22, 12:52 PM
bladest
Instructor

Can someone tell me to what level your reservoar in gs450h 4th gen is filled it it on stopped car engine off filled tk the max or its into the minimum or empty ? I filled mine to the max level
Old 04-30-22, 04:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Old 04-30-22, 04:54 PM
bladest
Instructor

Thanks a lot bclexus , my reservoar into the moment i filled at maximum level , should i remove some of the fluid somehow or? Please advice , will i have issues since i filled it to the max level ?
Will for example go outside the reservoar or?
Your engine bay looks very clean did you clean it personally or , mine is extremely dusty and with lots of sand..
Old 04-30-22, 06:33 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

For ur own sanity, I would suggest u sell the car now. Seriously, before it all goes downhill from this point on... if it hasn't already.

This is no longer a money pit, it's the grand canyon of all money pits.
Old 04-30-22, 06:45 PM
bladest
Instructor

Lets hope my leak is easy to fix and cheap as well i hope its not something expensive i like the car a lot it have all the options , can you suggest what my failing part is? Its located the rear of the car probably at rear center. This is where leaks are.
Old 04-30-22, 07:40 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

-Corroded hard brake lines
-Corroded, punctured, cracked or whatever soft brake lines
-Failed brake fittings and/or gaskets
-Leaking calipers
-Something else entirely

Post in this thread, NOT IN PMs and you certainly don't wanna hear my opinion on whether you should own an electric car or whatever.

Now let's go spot some brake lines from that article that I linked a few posts back:

Picture #8, the rubber line visually above the rear caliper, that connects to the hard line at the top.

Something tells me that you should be able to inspect this line for signs of leakage even with the wheel on, if you use your phone the way you used it to take those picture prior.

Something ALSO tells me that the leaks being from the center area:
1) don't imply that the flexible brake hoses (located right next to the rear wheels, TOWARDS THE FRONT of the car) are leaking.
2) potentially imply that you'd probably be the first person around here to post of a leaking hard line above the subframe - spoiler alert, my super abused '86 MR2 AW11's hard lines are fine, so I really doubt that this is the case. Then again, who knows.
3) VERY likely imply a leaking differential, given that there are plenty of green engine and transmission oils. Kinda obvious to take pictures of it and touch it by lying next to the car. Oil leaks there are kinda-sorta-easy to spot. Fix = most likely new gaskets for the fill bolts + a refill to spec with fresh fluid.

"I have many rust" - you have visible surface rust, which tells you pretty much nothing.
Old 04-30-22, 07:52 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

I suggested a week ago he push this car off a cliff and get a bike. Get an electric bike if you are too lazy to pedal. A bike has many less moving parts, though I am sure we would hear from him about how much lubrication should go on the chain or how much air pressure to put in the tires. If you are not able to fix the car yourself, you probably shouldn’t be asking so many questions. I love the should I be at the Max or Min line on the brake fluid. Dude, like any fluid, don’t go above the max, don’t go below the minimum, anywhere in between and you are ok. Also, brake fluid is bad for car paint, don’t get it on the car though I think it may do you a favor…..
The following 2 users liked this post by Hues10:
dezymond (04-30-22), peasodos (05-01-22)
Old 04-30-22, 09:49 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Can rats chew off a brake line? I've had rat infestation on a brand new Accord some years ago and ended up with some chewed wiring and possibly other stuff. It threw a CEL and some cylinder misfiring code after about a year of ownership. Traded in that sucker before it gives me more headache. The dealer storage space must be infested with rats and who knows how many other brand new vehicles were chewed off there.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 04-30-22 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus gs450h no brakes/serious issue please help..