GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Purchasing extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22 | 08:45 AM
JAYGS4NYC
Intermediate

Default Purchasing extended warranty

I'm thinking about purchasing an extended warranty agreement (depending on price). Does anyone have a dealer (Toyota or Lexus) they recommend? I read a Toyota dealer has the best prices. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-02-22 | 08:56 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Do you already own a 4GS? A Toyota dealership might be cheaper but I don't personally have any recommendations for any...you might try Lexus of Mt Kisco, Lexus of Cherry Hill, Prestige Lexus or Lexus of Bridgewater to compare quotes from a few reputable local dealers in the tri-state area.

The 4GS is a very reliable car overall. Many of us have just kept a "just in case" fund instead of paying 3k for a decent extended warranty. See this recent thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-warranty.html
Old 05-02-22 | 09:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JAYGS4NYC
I'm thinking about purchasing an extended warranty agreement (depending on price). Does anyone have a dealer (Toyota or Lexus) they recommend? I read a Toyota dealer has the best prices. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
@JAYGS4NYC I highly recommend Jerry Johnson:

Jerry Johnson (Warranty Manager)
Midwest Toyota
Hutchinson, KS

(620) 662-6631
800-530-5789
Cell: 620-664-8844

Jerry Johnson is who I recently (3-4 months ago) bought my Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty from for my Lexus GS 450h. Jerry was a pleasure to work with.

Read this thread ► https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...or-gs450h.html

I hope this helps.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-02-22 at 10:02 AM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
NJLEXES (05-03-22)
Old 05-02-22 | 01:50 PM
jonathancl
Racer

You won't need it. That's why we Lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonathancl:
greys0uled (05-02-22), mylehigh1 (05-03-22)
Old 05-02-22 | 02:41 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Easy profit for the dealership. The funny part is these warranty managers will tell you half the parts on the car will most likely fail to scare you. Sometimes their lies are worse than the sales person. I've heard there speech before, makes you want to not buy the car lol.

119k miles on my 2013 450h and only thing not part of regular maintenance that I replaced was the sunroof seal.

Last edited by peasodos; 05-02-22 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-02-22 | 06:36 PM
JAYGS4NYC
Intermediate

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback from everyone.. Called and spoke to Jerry Johnson. Unfortunately can only extend new car warranty and not CPO warranty. Really nice guy. Will use him for other purchases.

The following users liked this post:
bclexus (05-02-22)
Old 05-02-22 | 09:51 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jonathancl
You won't need it. That's why we Lexus.
really depends. Have a look at some of the recent threads on this forum 🙀
Old 05-03-22 | 02:50 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 703
really depends. Have a look at some of the recent threads on this forum 🙀
Most of what will go wrong with Toyota/Lexus would of happened/covered under the original factory/CPO warranty. If the cars survived that long without issue chances are very low major systems will randomly fail. The German cars are famous for factory parts built to fail. Toyota/Lexus designs/builds it to last.

Also a CPO vehicle could have been involved in an accident reported or unreported. Here is how it works:
1. Many Lexus dealers get their vehicles from "Lexus" auctions, which can include other Lexus dealers and private dealers as well.
2. CPO certification is done by the dealer, at their discretion. The only thing that can't be certified is a vehicle with 60k+ miles or 5+ years old, flooded, or frame damaged.
3. The cars are turned, cleaned up, and put on the lot. The CPO warranty does NOT cover adjustments, trim items, paint, battery, glass, and normal wear/tear items.
4. You can get the maintenance history of a CPO vehicle from the Lexus dealer as long as the car was taken to a Lexus dealer for service. Otherwise, it won't show up on the report.

This is why I recommend unbiased inspection from a trusted 3rd party mechanic/shop. Inspection from dealer selling the car is conflict of interest and car dealers are not always honest.

Last edited by peasodos; 05-03-22 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-03-22 | 05:25 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JAYGS4NYC

Thanks in advance
The 1st thing to ask in the thinking is what year car and how many miles? Also how many miles a year do you drive?
Old 05-03-22 | 05:58 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Put the money into a separate sinking fund for future use if needed.
I put $200 a month into a “Repair fund”. For cars and household appliances.
I did this 15 years ago and it has $25,000 in it. Im not being brilliant, I am simply “Self insuring”.
Its highly unlikely you’ll use the full benefit of an extended warranty and true you have a high end toyota product with reliable factors that go with it. But it happens.
How old is your car, what did you pay, how many miles on it? Are you cash flow tight?
These are luxury cars and they come at a price.
Old 05-03-22 | 06:15 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nalod
Put the money into a separate sinking fund for future use if needed. I put $200 a month into a “Repair fund”. For cars and household appliances. I did this 15 years ago and it has $25,000 in it. Im not being brilliant, I am simply “Self insuring”.
Great advise. Now imagine how much that would have been if you put $200 a month into an S&P 500 Index fund for the last 15 years. Everyone should build up an emergency fund. If you can't afford to set money aside every month you should probably reevaluate owning this car and your monthly expenses in general.

Old 05-03-22 | 06:40 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by peasodos
Great advise. Now imagine how much that would have been if you put $200 a month into an S&P 500 Index fund for the last 15 years. Everyone should build up an emergency fund. If you can't afford to set money aside every month you should probably reevaluate owning this car and your monthly expenses in general.
LOL, for 35 years I’ve been an investment advisor for a well known NY wirehouse firm. What you say is true and trust me its not in any money market! As you might, My house is paid for, and I keep a fund that is fairly liquid that has 2 years of living expenses in the event of a downturn. Fact is part of it becomes seed market when the market gets stupidly cheap.
I don’t buy cars with what I can afford. If that was the case my driveway would be incredible. Nothing beats a good night sleep!
My 2020 GS is a keeper. Very happy with this car given what I paid for it in January of 2020. $49k, full 10K of MSRP at that time. I know what its worth and that will revert back in time but fact is there are very few choices to replace it with and I moved away from the German brands for a reason. I am fatigued by my teutonic machines needing constant attention.
Old 05-03-22 | 07:18 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Car and life advice.... Nice!
Old 05-03-22 | 11:28 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

There is a big run from German cars here now I see. 4 Generations of Lexus GS, where have they been all this time? Sinking money into German bottomless pits? M Cars A cars & B cars, and oil leaks, tensioners, bearings and so on. While we built our Lexus for years here at CL instead with Turbo's NO2, and SC's. Who needed a AMG or M when we had the 2JZ in a Lexus, or a Turbo V8 GS? lol!

The 4th Gen is Not flawless. Major steering issues still un-resloved, tapping internal engine start up noise, leaking $800 plus each struts. I still have almost 4 years and another 85k left on my Platinum warranty. Disclosing a secret. I already claimed, 4 Struts (my buddy has a shop), 2 outside Mirrors power motors, a Idler pulley, and a ML Head unit. Recouped the warranty cost, that fast.

To throw a monkey wrench in the Fantasy.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...gine-swap.html

Hoping no one gets the Servo Climate control problem during this Hot summer with no a/c that does not have any Extended service contract. On the car and life advise...... TSLA and MSF years ago helped me pay for my Contract cost that has already been recouped. There's my 2 cents.

Old 05-03-22 | 02:08 PM
Lead Lap

In my country, Lexus doesn’t have a service campaign for the servo. So if that breaks, $$ out of pocket!

Quick Reply: Purchasing extended warranty