GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Front & Rear Side wreck - 15 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 09:47 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Wow, sorry about the loss of your car. Stuff happens. As others have said, you will likely be better off with another car.
Old 05-07-22, 12:22 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenzi323
Are you suggesting so based on the damage or because of something else? None of the airbags deployed if that means anything.
I had minor damage on the hood of my car from someone backing into it. I had to bring it back to the body shop 3 times because the paint job had issues. They even ended up fully repainting my fenders because they messed up the blend job. Even after all that paint is only 95%, normal people won't notice but I can point it out.

Your damage is so extensive, not to mention the damage you can't see, even if insurance doesn't total it:
  • It will take a long time to repair, supply chain issues on parts may delay
  • Your not going to have a clean title anymore, cars value will drop
  • Your car will not be 100% of what it was before
  • Taking the chance of having other issues down the road related to this accident
The whole process will be another headache/stress in the end you will wish they just totaled the car and you bought another GS that wasn't in an accident. Most likely insurance company will save you the headache and total it.

Old 05-07-22, 01:22 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

The key would be in the Trunk area. Front sides are easy fix. A side truck wrap can bend the trunk floor and other. That's not something by code you fix. The Fix is to cut the whole back end off and reweld a new whole back end. That usually ends, up making the cost beyond the value percentage. I would not want that done to my car. The other problem is Body shops know the Big Insurance check game. They estimate at min then take apart call the adjuster and get approval to start repair, then the total can equal 2.5 times the estimate.

I would just work on maxing the estimate payout check if totaled. Even if they wrote a below total estimate I would tell the adjuster, now you know that estimate to not total, is going to at least double.
Old 05-07-22, 01:23 PM
lorenzi323
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I had minor damage on the hood of my car from someone backing into it. I had to bring it back to the body shop 3 times because the paint job had issues. They even ended up fully repainting my fenders because they messed up the blend job. Even after all that paint is only 95%, normal people won't notice but I can point it out.

Your damage is so extensive, not to mention the damage you can't see, even if insurance doesn't total it:
  • It will take a long time to repair, supply chain issues on parts may delay
  • Your not going to have a clean title anymore, cars value will drop
  • Your car will not be 100% of what it was before
  • Taking the chance of having other issues down the road related to this accident
The whole process will be another headache/stress in the end you will wish they just totaled the car and you bought another GS that wasn't in an accident. Most likely insurance company will save you the headache and total it.
Peasodos: I completely see your point of view and it makes sense. It’s just difficult letting go after having the car for 7 years and meticulously keeping it clean with low mileage.
Old 05-07-22, 09:02 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

@lorenzi323 sorry to see that - hope everyone was ok. It looks like a lot of damage overall and I agree with everyone above mentioning it might be smarter to get the most you can from it money-wise and move forward with another GS. I know prices are inflated right now and it might feel like its better to repair but personally, i'd want to get into another GS after seeing the damage.
Old 05-08-22, 06:55 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I’ll preface this by saying I’m not an expert. But at a quality auto body shop that fixes it the right way, that looks totaled to me. I had less damage than that above my passenger side rear wheel, rear wheel, and rear door a few years ago and it totaled my car that was valued around $20,500 at the time. The law here says damage exceeding 50% of the car’s value = totaled. I wanna say the repair estimate was around $17k.
Old 05-08-22, 07:18 AM
lorenzi323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@lorenzi323 sorry to see that - hope everyone was ok. It looks like a lot of damage overall and I agree with everyone above mentioning it might be smarter to get the most you can from it money-wise and move forward with another GS. I know prices are inflated right now and it might feel like its better to repair but personally, i'd want to get into another GS after seeing the damage.
@AJLex19 Thanks for the input and I’m looking forward to see what options are presented to me.
Old 05-08-22, 07:29 AM
lorenzi323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I’ll preface this by saying I’m not an expert. But at a quality auto body shop that fixes it the right way, that looks totaled to me. I had less damage than that above my passenger side rear wheel, rear wheel, and rear door a few years ago and it totaled my car that was valued around $20,500 at the time. The law here says damage exceeding 50% of the car’s value = totaled. I wanna say the repair estimate was around $17k.
@CottageChz Thanks for your insight and sorry about your car as well. At this point, I’m just waiting to see how it all plays out.
Old 05-09-22, 06:49 AM
Lfosse
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had the rear bumper replaced at Sewell Lexus on my 2017 GS350 Fsport and it was 13k and much 'cleaner' damage than this so thinking this could easily be considered totaled. Mine was hit while parked and essentially tore off the bumper. Sorry this happened to you, I know how you feel.
Old 05-09-22, 08:23 AM
CMK
Driver

Best of luck. It'd be a shame to take it off the streets for good.
Old 05-09-22, 11:33 AM
lorenzi323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lfosse
I recently had the rear bumper replaced at Sewell Lexus on my 2017 GS350 Fsport and it was 13k and much 'cleaner' damage than this so thinking this could easily be considered totaled. Mine was hit while parked and essentially tore off the bumper. Sorry this happened to you, I know how you feel.
Thanks. The car was just taken in today for inspection so I’ll see what they say.
Old 05-09-22, 11:33 AM
lorenzi323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CMK
Best of luck. It'd be a shame to take it off the streets for good.
Indeed but we’ll see. Waiting for the inspection results.