GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats going on with my MPG !??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-22, 08:48 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
There's so many factors to MPG that's it's hard to pinpoint. Anything from engine air filter condition, temp, wind, quality of gas, your driving style, etc. City driving will impact a car's mpg significantly, especially a V6.

Check your engine air filter and tire pressure, but it's most likely coming down to the routes you frequent and your driving style.
This ^ it’s really hard to pinpoint.

In my experience though, 2GR engines are just gas drinkers. I got similar or slightly better MPG in my 07 V6 Camry.
The following 2 users liked this post by greys0uled:
jkeller (06-19-22), Supraman18 (07-04-22)
Old 06-19-22, 09:58 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Since my last fill up, 95% city driving.
Old 06-19-22, 11:18 AM
Supraman18
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Have u tried resetting the MPG/Range calculator?
Is this a thing ? Could it just be showing wrong #s ?

How do I do so ?
Old 06-19-22, 11:20 AM
Supraman18
Driver

Originally Posted by ViperTim
Your buddy is probably better at predicting traffic and coasting a lot more than you are.
Probably also a calmer driver which helps both of the above.
Trust me, if this was a factor . I wouldn't have made this post. This is my work car and I'm surely not ragging on it when I have my fun car at home.
Old 06-19-22, 11:21 AM
Supraman18
Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
Where in FL do you live? I live in Palm Beach and get 19-21 religiously, and our rush hour is minor. If you're down south dealing with Broward and Dade traffic everyday, I would say your MPG is spot on, crawling on the 595 or 95 everyday will suck your MPGs right down the drain.
I do deal with i95, rush hour traffic both ways . But I'd say once or twice a week MAX.
Old 06-19-22, 06:40 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman18
Guys,
I've owned my 4gs, for over 4 years now and up until friend of mine got a New F-sport I never considered my GS mileage to be strange. I averaged for as long as i can remember about 220-230- per tank. puts me at about 12-15 MPG. Again i never thought anything of it, the car has 0 issues and drives like a dream.
My buddy in the same car gets over 300 miles to his tank.. that averages him around 19mpg. THATS A HUGE DIFFERENCE. Over 100 miles difference to a tank. anybody else averaging some odd numbers ?

I have the 8spd transmission and I drive in normal mode 90% of the time. I do use Sport + just for the tighter steering on the highways, never really high revving.
that’s crazy. I’m AWD with the 6 speed and get 20-21 MPG with city driving and I’ve been getting 315 miles of range this summer. And that’s with my AC pretty much always on and I always drive in normal mode for more context
Old 06-19-22, 08:24 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

12-15mpg is ridiculously low, even in cold temps with aggressive driving. To put it in context, my ‘16 AWD gets 20-22mpg pure highway running premium during winter months with a conservative driving style. In the summer that jumps to 25-27mpg even with A/C running. My ‘92 Cadillac Seville gets 15-ish mpg in pure city driving running premium with conservative driving style, but that engine is 1980’s technology (and it still gets 22-24mpg on the highway).
Old 06-20-22, 12:00 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman18
Guys,
I've owned my 4gs, for over 4 years now and up until friend of mine got a New F-sport I never considered my GS mileage to be strange. I averaged for as long as i can remember about 220-230- per tank. puts me at about 12-15 MPG. Again i never thought anything of it, the car has 0 issues and drives like a dream.
My buddy in the same car gets over 300 miles to his tank.. that averages him around 19mpg. THATS A HUGE DIFFERENCE. Over 100 miles difference to a tank. anybody else averaging some odd numbers ?

I have the 8spd transmission and I drive in normal mode 90% of the time. I do use Sport + just for the tighter steering on the highways, never really high revving.
Sounds like you have a rear-wheel drive F-Sport GS. 12-15mpg is a bit low for RWD (AWD = more components, more weight, less efficient in some cases). I usually get around 15mpg with city driving on my '13 AWD non F sport, 18" wheels, 65k miles.

A few questions/things to check:
1) What year GS do you have? You mentioned new spark plugs in another post - What is the mileage on the odometer?
2) You mentioned a different intake? Have you tried replacing the intake back to stock to see if it changes anything?
3) What PSI are you running your tires? Stock 19" wheels?
4) Maybe have a mechanic look to see if there are any fault codes for 02 sensors or catalytic/exhaust issues (my previous GS had bad cats causing poor gas mileage @90k miles)
5) Throttle body and mass air flow sensor may be areas to check as well.

I'm sure there are more things a mechanic might be inclined to check if you have poor gas mileage, but these came to mind first...
The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
greys0uled (06-20-22), NJLEXES (06-20-22)
Old 06-20-22, 12:00 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My previous GS, a 14 AWD had zero issues, drove perfectly, low miles, but the mpg was TERRIBLE, I would get 12-15 mpg EVERY tank unless doing some serious highway cruising, and I don’t drive aggressively that much anymore, in comparison my brother had a 15 AWD and would consistently get around 19 average in his, for some reason his was also CLEARLY faster than mine ( we raced a couple times) never figured out why that was, but I replaced my 14 with a 16 AWD and driving the same routes as before I get around 17-19 mpg on average, so something was definitely weird about my previous one, unless the computer was simply giving inaccurate readings for mpg
Old 06-20-22, 04:05 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Like I said folks, there is a range of MPG for these vehicles according to the normal distribution Bell Curve. If your vehicle always was getting 12 to 15 mpg every tank, then that is what it is. Maybe someone with a mechanical engineering degree could chime in on why the exact cars get different mpg’s.
Old 06-20-22, 05:23 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Like I said folks, there is a range of MPG for these vehicles according to the normal distribution Bell Curve. If your vehicle always was getting 12 to 15 mpg every tank, then that is what it is. Maybe someone with a mechanical engineering degree could chime in on why the exact cars get different mpg’s.
I don't have an engineering degree, but I do have a few comments. There are definitely some factors under your control which can affect the MPG for sure.

1) It does depend on the tires themselves. Some of the tires touted as LRR (Low rolling resistance) would potentially improve the MPG. Certain high performance stickier tires can drop the MPG by as much as 1-1.5 MPG.
2) If you run the tires at higher tire pressures, that can help with the mileage as the tires do roll easier with more air.
3) Certainly with the GS (I have a 2017 AWD), how you drive it can really affect the MPG. Around town I myself would get somehwere between 16-18 in local driving which is pretty common place.
4) Did you try using the ECO mode which makes the tranny go to higher gear sooner?

Lastly, I wouldn't rely on the dash calculation as the final verdict as I find mine is usually off. The most accurate is divide miles driven by the number of gallons at fill up.

Last edited by NJLEXES; 06-20-22 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-20-22, 05:41 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I usually got about 15-18mpg in my 2013 GS 350 with stop-n-go city driving - mostly on the low side it seemed. It's definitely not an economy car when driven stop-n-go.

Now I get around double that - about 30mpg with stop-n-go city driving and about 34mpg highway and 32mpg combined..
Old 06-20-22, 07:50 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

I average 13.7MPG. All local and short trips.
Old 06-20-22, 08:40 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Watch, after the reset, it'll jump to 300-400 range.

Just find the screen where there is a reset option (hold center button to reset) and reset everything. Not the odometer or trip A or B though. It's on the small screen in the center of the instrument cluster.

I think it says Range After Last Reset or something like that. U should also be able to reset it from the big nav screen, just find the MPG or driving range related page and reset everything. I usually do this after every refuel to get the most accurate readings.
Old 06-20-22, 10:20 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI - I closely studied my mpg for a 6mos period from Jan. through June to determine whether there was any appreciable difference between regular and premium (there was, about 1-2 mpg) and I always found the cars MPG estimate to be on average 0.7mpg higher than it actually was. The more city driving I did the more the difference would be, sometimes 1mpg or more.

Quick Reply: Whats going on with my MPG !??