GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats going on with my MPG !??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-22 | 06:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Anyone who says they’re getting more than 23 MPG in the city is lying in my eyes.

You guys must be driving GS 200t’s 😂
lol! You think everyone that drives a certain same model car, all get the same gas mileage? What's you KCLV at right now on your GS350?
The following users liked this post:
ECL (12-24-22)
Old 07-04-22 | 09:35 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Depends on the city and definitely not possible in LA even if u cut off or right foot, unless u do engine swap with a Prius.
Old 07-04-22 | 09:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ECL
And I should be concerned if you believe it because?
I do not believe it.

You'd have to be doing a lot of coasting or driving ever-so-gently downhill with no stop-n-go for less than a mile to get 24-26 mpg. I just do not think it's possible to get 24-26 mpg consistently when driving 100% in-town and no highway driving.

I recommend that you contact Lexus to volunteer driving their vehicles for EPA fuel mileage ratings. You're beating Lexus' city mpg rating by a whopping 25%!
Old 07-04-22 | 10:25 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Just took a weekend road trip to my cabin and tried to see how high I could get mine driving more gently than I normally do and I actually got 28.9 mpg in my 16 AWD, easily the best I’ve gotten in this car, accelerating gently up to speed is key, 65 mph seems to be the cars sweet spot. Stepping on it from a stop even without flooring it makes it go down so much. It’s tough to drive and not punch it once in a while though also if you sit around in your car idling a lot that will kill your mpg as well
The following 2 users liked this post by Lukas99GS:
ECL (07-05-22), jgscott (07-05-22)
Old 07-04-22 | 10:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Just took a weekend road trip to my cabin and tried to see how high I could get mine driving more gently than I normally do and I actually got 28.9 mpg in my 16 AWD, easily the best I’ve gotten in this car, accelerating gently up to speed is key, 65 mph seems to be the cars sweet spot. Stepping on it from a stop even without flooring it makes it go down so much. It’s tough to drive and not punch it once in a while though also if you sit around in your car idling a lot that will kill your mpg as well
19 city - 26 highway is the car's EPA fuel mileage rating. Getting 28.9 mpg with gentle driving and mostly at the highway 'sweet spot' speed of 65 mph is certainly conceivable. It is totally inconceivable that 24-26 mpg is achieved with 100% all in-town driving and no highway driving as ECL claims.
Old 07-05-22 | 06:06 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

So with 19 being the City ratings we have some here saying they get only 12. That's -7mpg less than the estimate. So one can be off -7 less of the estimate based on their driving. But..... no one could possibly be off + plus getting better than the estimate? At 19 est city +7 would be 26 city. Think about it guys.

Is why I asked if the thoughts here are that "everyone that drives a certain same model car, all get the same gas mileage"?

Is this incorrect?
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/42128.shtml

Looks like if you live in Texas you get lower mpg.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...c=mpg&id=34517

Old 07-05-22 | 07:10 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
So with 19 being the City ratings we have some here saying they get only 12. That's -7mpg less than the estimate. So one can be off -7 less of the estimate based on their driving. But..... no one could possibly be off + plus getting better than the estimate? At 19 est city +7 would be 26 city. Think about it guys.

Is why I asked if the thoughts here are that "everyone that drives a certain same model car, all get the same gas mileage"?

Is this incorrect?
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/42128.shtml

Looks like if you live in Texas you get lower mpg.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...c=mpg&id=34517
I understand where you're going with the comparison of - if minus', then why not plus. But, having owned a GS 350 for number of years and driven it the majority of time in typical city driving, I never got more than 18-19 mpg unless I had driven only a very short distance with a lot of coasting after filling-up, which was simply not a fair or accurate representation of the true mpg for city driving. Many times I only got about 15 mpg with city driving. I never got anywhere even remotely close to 24-26 mpg that has been claimed with 100% all in-town driving and no highway driving. I just do not see how that is possible even under the most favorable conditions and with the absolute lightest throttle pressure and slowest/longest acceleration factors.

I'd say the car's EPA rating for both city and highway - as well as for the combined figure - is fair and pretty much right on the money for the results an owner can expect. Any variance is not going to be much. You know full-well that all car makers want to achieve the very best fuel mileage rating possible under the strict (yet realistic) guidelines such fuel mileage tests must be made under.
jgscott (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22 | 08:52 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
I understand where you're going with the comparison of - if minus', then why not plus. But, having owned a GS 350 for number of years and driven it the majority of time in typical city driving, I never got more than 18-19 mpg unless I had driven only a very short distance with a lot of coasting after filling-up, which was simply not a fair or accurate representation of the true mpg for city driving. Many times I only got about 15 mpg with city driving. I never got anywhere even remotely close to 24-26 mpg that has been claimed with 100% all in-town driving and no highway driving. I just do not see how that is possible even under the most favorable conditions and with the absolute lightest throttle pressure and slowest/longest acceleration factors.

I'd say the car's EPA rating for both city and highway - as well as for the combined figure - is fair and pretty much right on the money for the results an owner can expect. Any variance is not going to be much. You know full-well that all car makers want to achieve the very best fuel mileage rating possible under the strict (yet realistic) guidelines such fuel mileage tests must be made under.
Yes I understand your point too.

My guess would be the Lexus mpg rating was underestimated if anything as to not get a whole bunch of Owner/Customer under mpg complaints? But IDK?

An average is just that with numbers. There is always a plus/minus, and a high and low, where sometimes the highest high, and lowest low is thrown out to get a good average. The end result is comprised of some higher, some lower. Your example of yourself would be in the equation, but not the final average result, is all I'm saying. So City driving is normally short distance. So lets take your 19mpg and take my 10 miles = 33mpg City. I can drive Down Town Peachtree St Atlanta City and only catch one or 2 lights if I time them. There was still lots of flowing traffic, stop and go and ppl I has to pass to stay as constant as I could.

Me doing 40-50 mph. 10 miles, and I was almost where I was going. So my33 and your 19 Average to = 26mpg, would be a average for you and me. If we were in a best mileage contest you would have to hold up better than 19mpg. Then again now I would lose badly to the 450h! lol!

Here's my example.... again. I was on Peachtree St Down Town City of Atlanta.

Just to disclose, My car has a more free flow open flowing intake, and exhaust. Hotter Coils, and a Remapped ECU Tune, that is more dialed in for those changes. Not the total reason but still disclosing this. Do I get this all the time? Absolutely NOT. I was trying to baby the accelerator, stay constant on the gas, and cruise the 2 lights I hit. I was very deliberate to see how high I could get the mpg. By the same token I have tried on the highway to beat the Cruise control mpg, but..... I can never beat the CC in best Gas mileage.

Old 07-05-22 | 09:17 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I think if ur rolling 40-65 MPH flat with no uphill for a long distance without stop and go, then 30+ MPG is possible.

I can get 27 MPG on the way to work going 80 MPH about 80% of the trip with some traffic but it's a bit of going downhill but I lost it all again coming back home since it's going uphill + a slightly worse traffic in the afternoon.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 07-05-22 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-05-22 | 10:34 AM
jkeller
Advanced

My mileage from the last 6.5 years. The light blue bar on the right is todays trip. The dark blue bars are from November 2015 to today. 15.2 was my trip to H-E-B and back today . Overall it looks like about 23-24mpg. I’m thinking that 28.4 was on a road trip from Texas to Vegas.

bclexus (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22 | 11:39 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
Yes I understand your point too.

My guess would be the Lexus mpg rating was underestimated if anything as to not get a whole bunch of Owner/Customer under mpg complaints? But IDK?

An average is just that with numbers. There is always a plus/minus, and a high and low, where sometimes the highest high, and lowest low is thrown out to get a good average. The end result is comprised of some higher, some lower. Your example of yourself would be in the equation, but not the final average result, is all I'm saying. So City driving is normally short distance. So lets take your 19mpg and take my 10 miles = 33mpg City. I can drive Down Town Peachtree St Atlanta City and only catch one or 2 lights if I time them. There was still lots of flowing traffic, stop and go and ppl I has to pass to stay as constant as I could.

Me doing 40-50 mph. 10 miles, and I was almost where I was going. So my33 and your 19 Average to = 26mpg, would be a average for you and me. If we were in a best mileage contest you would have to hold up better than 19mpg. Then again now I would lose badly to the 450h! lol!

Here's my example.... again. I was on Peachtree St Down Town City of Atlanta.
I'm confused on a couple of points.

Your city trip was 10 minutes in elapsed time but you drove at a robust 40-50 mph in downtown Atlanta. That's not typical city driving.

Since we were discussing only the GS 350's city mpg, you driving at 40-50 mph is more like a slow (fuel efficient) highway driving speed, not the typical stop-'n-go city driving speed, so your 33 mpg is neither city, nor highway, nor combined, but instead a mixed bag that is really useless.

Additionally, averaging the car's EPA rated city mpg of 19 with your slow speed 33 mpg (achieved while driving at 40-50 mph) actually provides a meaningless 26 mpg average, because that 26 mpg average is combining the car's EPA city rated 19 mpg with your 'OJ Simpson slow-speed chase' highway speed getting 33 mpg.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-05-22 at 12:30 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-05-22 | 11:42 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

No, that cruising range is how far u can go with the current fuel left in the tank.
bclexus (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22 | 11:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jkeller
My mileage from the last 6.5 years. The light blue bar on the right is todays trip. The dark blue bars are from November 2015 to today. 15.2 was my trip to H-E-B and back today . Overall it looks like about 23-24mpg. I’m thinking that 28.4 was on a road trip from Texas to Vegas.

@jkeller - I'd say your results are very typical of what GS 350 owners commonly achieve; 29 mpg highway, 19 mpg city and 23 mpg combined - with a variance for city mpg affected the most with frequently much lower mpg than the EPA rated 19 mpg as illustrated by your city drive averaging only 15.2 mpg. This coincides with the OP of this thread getting about 12-15 MPG'.

I saw an almost identical fuel consumption with my GS 350.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-05-22 at 12:40 PM. Reason: grammar
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Im2bz2p345 (07-05-22), jkeller (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22 | 12:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
No, that cruising range is how far u can go with the current fuel left in the tank.
Got it. Thanks!

Last edited by bclexus; 07-05-22 at 12:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-05-22 | 12:54 PM
jkeller
Advanced

My road trips to Vegas are, cruise set at 85mph from San Antonio to El Paso\ 600 miles, speed limit 80mph/. Cruise set to 80mph El Paso to Las Vegas\650 miles, speed limit 75mph/. If my cruise was set at 60mph I would probably get low 30's mpg. A GS is a great long distance cruising car comfort-wise. So an overall mpg of 28 isn't too bad.

Quick Reply: Whats going on with my MPG !??