Whats going on with my MPG !??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 01:01 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman18
Guys,
I've owned my 4gs, for over 4 years now and up until friend of mine got a New F-sport I never considered my GS mileage to be strange. I averaged for as long as i can remember about 220-230- per tank. puts me at about 12-15 MPG. Again i never thought anything of it, the car has 0 issues and drives like a dream.
My buddy in the same car gets over 300 miles to his tank.. that averages him around 19mpg. THATS A HUGE DIFFERENCE. Over 100 miles difference to a tank. anybody else averaging some odd numbers ?

I have the 8spd transmission and I drive in normal mode 90% of the time. I do use Sport + just for the tighter steering on the highways, never really high revving.
If your car is not a hybrid,
like mine - if it was hybrid i will first check out the battery,
many things are responsible for the fuel, consumption, Here is a list of few,

Engine oil, if you drive with eco oil 0w20 it gives you better fuel economy,
if you drive with eco tyres it will give you better fuel economy , spark plugs and many factors...
Also depends on the quality of the fuel and if you use additives etcs...

I drive on a daily base my Lpg converted classical cars so i dont care much about fuel economy,
LPG is almost 2 times cheapred compared to Petrol all the time...
Lpg forever.
You can check all of your filters as well like fuel filter,
etcs..
injectors etcs...
Old 07-05-22, 03:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm confused on a couple of points.

Your city trip was 10 minutes in elapsed time but you drove at a robust 40-50 mph in downtown Atlanta. That's not typical city driving.

Since we were discussing only the GS 350's city mpg, you driving at 40-50 mph is more like a slow (fuel efficient) highway driving speed, not the typical stop-'n-go city driving speed, so your 33 mpg is neither city, nor highway, nor combined, but instead a mixed bag that is really useless.

Additionally, averaging the car's EPA rated city mpg of 19 with your slow speed 33 mpg (achieved while driving at 40-50 mph) actually provides a meaningless 26 mpg average, because that 26 mpg average is combining the car's EPA city rated 19 mpg with your 'OJ Simpson slow-speed chase' highway speed getting 33 mpg.
Lets look at what I said and help the confusion again:

"I can drive Down Town Peachtree St Atlanta City and only catch one or 2 lights if I time them. There was still lots of flowing traffic, stop and go and ppl I has to pass to stay as constant as I could.
Me doing 40-50 mph. 10 miles, and I was almost where I was going"

I did not get on P'Tree St and straight drive 40+ mph the whole time. Actually I was likly a peak of 40, but more like 30-40. A 10 min trip in a busy City is normal and all city driving in D"Town Atlanta, my average speed was likely 30mph. It's not the highway. Nobody drives only 40-50mph on the highway here. If D"Town in the City driving is not D"Town in the city driving, I don't know what is. lol!

Seems to be alot of hate for those who are able to get over the average gas mileage here. Again a average is never the highest number, never the lowest number. Average has some higher and some lower. Someone has to be higher also. What is so hard to not be confused about this? You cant tell me someone who gets 12-16 mpg in the City could not do any better with getting better by changing their driving. This is what I hate about gas, and oil Threads.

Looks like CITY driving to me.
https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/...conic-coca-col
The following users liked this post:
ECL (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22, 03:22 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Remember boys, it's not miles per gallon that matters, it's SMILES per gallon. Pedal to the metal and redline all the way to the grocery store!!
The following 3 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
gravesg (12-19-22), jgscott (07-05-22), jkeller (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22, 04:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Remember boys, it's not miles per gallon that matters, it's SMILES per gallon. Pedal to the metal and redline all the way to the grocery store!!
Just for the Record: I have seen 9 mpg one time also myself.
Old 07-05-22, 04:27 PM
bladest
Instructor

my 450h hybrids gs currently gives me fuel usage of 31.7858 mpg, around city driving is this good?
its out of factory specs...
Old 07-05-22, 09:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

That's horrible for a hybrid!
Old 07-05-22, 09:36 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
my 450h hybrids gs currently gives me fuel usage of 31.7858 mpg, around city driving is this good?
its out of factory specs...
Yes, that's good if you consider the weight of the vehicle and the amount of power it has. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) average for the 2013 GSh is 29 mpg city, so you're doing better than that and that's great. If I do mainly city driving, I get somewhere around 28-29 mpg, but I have a heavy foot and like to accelerate up to speed quicker than most traffic.

~ im2bz2p345
Old 07-06-22, 12:59 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Yes, that's good if you consider the weight of the vehicle and the amount of power it has. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) average for the 2013 GSh is 29 mpg city, so you're doing better than that and that's great. If I do mainly city driving, I get somewhere around 28-29 mpg, but I have a heavy foot and like to accelerate up to speed quicker than most traffic.

~ im2bz2p345
i also do heavy foot,
thats why i have michelin pilot 4s. i race latest models s class and audi a8, and i use most of the time sport + mode..
my battery is stock and my suspention is currently bad...
if my battery is in better or newer recycled condition my mpg will be better.
Old 12-14-22, 12:28 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
There's so many factors to MPG that's it's hard to pinpoint. Anything from engine air filter condition, temp, wind, quality of gas, your driving style, etc. City driving will impact a car's mpg significantly, especially a V6.

Check your engine air filter and tire pressure, but it's most likely coming down to the routes you frequent and your driving style.
I'm not sure WHAT'S going on with my MPG... It's HORRIBLE. I get a MAX of 300 miles to each tank on the highway. And my air filter is NEW. And I replaced it before it was clogged. I don't see HOW this LITTLE car has such bad gas mileage!!! Heck, there are PLENTY of V8's that get MUCH better gas mileage. My 2009 Cadillac STS-V get's better mileage than this car. I would trade it but it cost me $24K 5yrs ago (when I joined this forum), and they'll give me $12K for it now. So.... I'm STUCK..... REALLY stuck.
Old 12-14-22, 01:06 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
I'm not sure WHAT'S going on with my MPG... It's HORRIBLE. I get a MAX of 300 miles to each tank on the highway. And my air filter is NEW. And I replaced it before it was clogged. I don't see HOW this LITTLE car has such bad gas mileage!!! Heck, there are PLENTY of V8's that get MUCH better gas mileage. My 2009 Cadillac STS-V get's better mileage than this car. I would trade it but it cost me $24K 5yrs ago (when I joined this forum), and they'll give me $12K for it now. So.... I'm STUCK..... REALLY stuck.
oil change, spark plugs, air filter. I get around 35mpg highway, sometimes better with my GS 450h.
Old 12-14-22, 06:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
oil change, spark plugs, air filter. I get around 35mpg highway, sometimes better with my GS 450h.
@peasodos - I'm not sure the reason for your reply - because an oil change won't help increase his mpg any, and neither will replacing the spark plugs.

You are comparing crabapples to kumquats by comparing the fuel efficiency of the GS 350 to that of the GS 450h.
The following users liked this post:
maiahsdad (12-20-22)
Old 12-14-22, 10:59 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds normal to me. I rarely touch 300 miles per tank.

And yes, there are many V8's that get better MPG than the 2GR-FSE, this engine is simply not good on gas.
Old 12-14-22, 11:51 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Sounds normal to me. I rarely touch 300 miles per tank.

And yes, there are many V8's that get better MPG than the 2GR-FSE, this engine is simply not good on gas.
Agreed. Our IS 350 AWD (FSE) is no better than my GS 350 AWD (FKS) on gas. Frankly, there is very little weight difference between them either, considering the additional size of the GS.

I do little in-town or stop/go driving, but I do have a series of lovely mountain roads that I drive on occasion. Normally I see 325 miles to empty. I do live in an hilly/mountainous area, and I have a set of mountain roads that I enjoy driving briskly, but my tank to tank fuel economy typically hovers around 21-22mpg.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 12-14-22 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-14-22, 12:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Forget the MPG, I'm more worried about that resale value. Only $12K for a 4GS? What's wrong with it?
Old 12-14-22, 01:51 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Forget the MPG, I'm more worried about that resale value. Only $12K for a 4GS? What's wrong with it?
That's what dealerships do to make big margins. They lowball the trade-ins.
Did same to me. I basically got the same exact offer emailed and snail mail.

Quick Reply: Whats going on with my MPG !??