GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats going on with my MPG !??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-22 | 02:28 PM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JDR76
Has it always been this way or is it a change from what you used to get?
I think it's been about this. The dealer said it's just the car I chose. It's the modern loaded dump truck in the body of a light sports-like sedan. I didn't have a lot of opportunity to do a lot of research. Someone told me my previous car, and I needed a new one quickly. My friend who worked at the dealer recommended this one that was ready to go. Liked the color, and the interior, so made the purchase. I need to own the mistake. Like the fact that it was all we'll drive because they have blizzards here in the Midwest.
Old 12-20-22 | 03:55 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

@maiahsdad I have a non F-sport '13 GS350 AWD with 68k miles with zero mods to engine/exhaust and 18" OEM wheels. I've owned the car since 2015 when it was CPO and had 43k miles on the odometer. In city driving, normal mode i typically get between 12-15mpg (i almost never drive in Eco or Sport).

I just drove the GS over 250miles this past weekend and got 21mpg in mostly highway driving. The range of mileage you get out of the GS depends on too many factors ... it seems to burn a lot of gas unless conditions are ideal which is the way the EPA tests and comes up with those "official" ratings. In my experience, the GS burns noticeably more gas during idling in bumper/bumper traffic; and also if you're pushing 80-90mph on the highway.

I've personally become accustomed to getting 300 miles (or less) out of a full tank on average. Its probably one of the only true long term ownership negatives we can point to. I actually felt my older GS430 with a V8 had very similar real-world mpg as the V6 in my GS350.
The following 3 users liked this post by AJLex19:
greys0uled (12-22-22), maiahsdad (12-21-22), Neil64 (12-23-22)
Old 12-20-22 | 05:08 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm.. maybe that's why I never see 400 cause I rarely drive under 80.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (12-21-22)
Old 12-20-22 | 06:19 PM
chinee
Racer

When was the last time you gave it an italian tune-up? Try a few of those everyday over the next week or so and see if there's any change. (that's from the curious non-scientific part of my brain...)
Old 12-21-22 | 02:31 AM
CLuser
Rookie

One can’t really compare mileages between different GS’s when the conditions each of us drive in vary so wildly. Like comparing city/in-town mileage… I live in San Francisco which is easily the worst place for gas mileage in the entire country. Between the short blocks, stop signs everywhere, hills, traffic, etc, I think my average speed indicated in the dash is usually around 15mph. If I drive 100% in town with no freeway driving, I get 12-13 mpg. Every single car and motorcycle I’ve owned has gotten significantly worse mileage than the EPA estimate, that’s just how it is here. The conditions in my city driving vary *a ton* from most other city driving. There are so many factors that determine fuel economy, not to mention how differently two people will drive, that comparing with someone who lives in a different location is not very helpful.
The following 4 users liked this post by CLuser:
AJLex19 (12-21-22), bclexus (12-21-22), JDR76 (12-21-22), praetor (12-22-22)
Old 12-21-22 | 04:45 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chinee
When was the last time you gave it an italian tune-up? Try a few of those everyday over the next week or so and see if there's any change. (that's from the curious non-scientific part of my brain...)
Ummm, ITALIAN TUNE-UP.... No idea
Old 12-21-22 | 05:52 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@maiahsdad I have a non F-sport '13 GS350 AWD with 68k miles with zero mods to engine/exhaust and 18" OEM wheels. I've owned the car since 2015 when it was CPO and had 43k miles on the odometer. In city driving, normal mode i typically get between 12-15mpg (i almost never drive in Eco or Sport).

I just drove the GS over 250miles this past weekend and got 21mpg in mostly highway driving. The range of mileage you get out of the GS depends on too many factors ... it seems to burn a lot of gas unless conditions are ideal which is the way the EPA tests and comes up with those "official" ratings. In my experience, the GS burns noticeably more gas during idling in bumper/bumper traffic; and also if you're pushing 80-90mph on the highway.

I've personally become accustomed to getting 300 miles (or less) out of a full tank on average. Its probably one of the only true long term ownership negatives we can point to. I actually felt my older GS430 with a V8 had very similar real-world mpg as the V6 in my GS350.
Similar power too.
Old 12-21-22 | 06:04 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Hmm.. maybe that's why I never see 400 cause I rarely drive under 80.
🤣 Go figure 😄
Old 12-21-22 | 10:28 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Averaged 21 MPG this morning on a 55-mile trip of mostly highway with a little bit of traffic today. I did have some fun with the right pedal a few times and even saw 115 around a bend. Yeah it's so hard to go eco on this car.
Old 12-21-22 | 01:59 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CLuser
One can’t really compare mileages between different GS’s when the conditions each of us drive in vary so wildly. Like comparing city/in-town mileage… I live in San Francisco which is easily the worst place for gas mileage in the entire country. Between the short blocks, stop signs everywhere, hills, traffic, etc, I think my average speed indicated in the dash is usually around 15mph. If I drive 100% in town with no freeway driving, I get 12-13 mpg. Every single car and motorcycle I’ve owned has gotten significantly worse mileage than the EPA estimate, that’s just how it is here. The conditions in my city driving vary *a ton* from most other city driving. There are so many factors that determine fuel economy, not to mention how differently two people will drive, that comparing with someone who lives in a different location is not very helpful.
Well said!

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
Give it WOT! See here: https://www.autotrader.ca/editorial/...alian-tune-up/

Originally Posted by panyo64
Similar power too.
Very true that the hp power ratings on the six cylinder 4GS350 (306; 311) and the eight cylinder GS430/GS460 (300hp; 342hp) are similar.

Those older Lexus V8s in the GS felt quick off the line too bc of the high torque ratings. But since the MPG in real world driving isn't much different, I would've took a 4GS with a (non GS F) V8 any day.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (12-27-22)
Old 12-22-22 | 07:39 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CLuser
People should report their mileage on www.fueleconomy.gov The more that do, the better idea of what the average real life mpg will be.
Old 12-22-22 | 07:44 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
Those don't really do anything. Take the car to a shop and have an intake cleaning done. They will inject a cleaner into the intake while the car runs and it will clean the top of the valves. 3M, ATP (AT-100) STP Berryman all make DIY kits but I hydrolocked a motor on myIS250 using Berryman's kit so now I recommend having it professionally done. I had good success with 3M and AT-100 though on several occasions.
Old 12-22-22 | 10:44 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
Those don't really do anything. Take the car to a shop and have an intake cleaning done. They will inject a cleaner into the intake while the car runs and it will clean the top of the valves. 3M, ATP (AT-100) STP Berryman all make DIY kits but I hydrolocked a motor on myIS250 using Berryman's kit so now I recommend having it professionally done. I had good success with 3M and AT-100 though on several occasions.
2GR-FSE and 2GR-FKS are both dual injected - the port injection fuel washes the tops of the intake valves. The IS 250 came with a 4GR-FSE, which was direct injected only.
Old 12-24-22 | 09:15 PM
chinee
Racer

Did a day trip today... @90 on the highway for 140 miles, mpg 21.5. Added another 25 miles @75-ish and ended the trip up with an average mpg of 22.1... that's pretty bad. But then I remembered that I was gassing it every now and again to get around those left lane hogs most of the morning.

The return trip. The first 25 miles @75, I averaged 26 mpg. The final140 miles @90 brought the average down to 24.2. That is my normal mpg for that trip. Goose the gas a little but too much and the mpgs dip significantly.

Old 12-28-22 | 06:46 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Have u tried resetting the MPG/Range calculator?
How is this done?

Quick Reply: Whats going on with my MPG !??