GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tremendous Brake Squeal on New Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-22, 01:47 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
after 3 month most shop would say why dont you bring it right away and why bring it back after 3 month? im a tech and thats what I would say, no1 gonna wait 3 month if you hear noises after a job. for example u did a oil change and u c oil dipping will you drive the car for 3 month with the oil dipping and then go bak to the shop in 3 month and say ur engine knocking.
You should know more than anyone that a proper brake job shouldn't erode into squealing in such a short timespan and accept that an installation error occurred. If I drive 10k miles per year, pads and rotors can last 4-5 years. If a terrible squeal appeared 5% into that timeline, any shop that I go to would take care of their customer for the remaining 95%.

Unfortunately, the above post is a representation of how customer service has devolved and I do as much work as I can myself. I completed an alignment adjustment on my wife's car this morning to avoid dealing with the shops and above techs and "advisors".

Last edited by BMGS; 07-06-22 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-06-22, 02:30 PM
badman5
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
after 3 month most shop would say why dont you bring it right away and why bring it back after 3 month? im a tech and thats what I would say, no1 gonna wait 3 month if you hear noises after a job. for example u did a oil change and u c oil dipping will you drive the car for 3 month with the oil dipping and then go bak to the shop in 3 month and say ur engine knocking.
I had my pads and rotors (all 4) replaced on 9/7/21. They squealed like that since after the install. I went in about a week later on 9/17/21 so the mechanic could replace a rear caliper (that I ruined). I told the mechanic that my rotors squeal and he responded that its not them, they did everything, right etc.

I believed him at the time only because I Googled "Brake Squeal new rotors" and read: https://autochimps.com/brakes-squeak...being-replaced
"One of the most common reasons that new brakes squeal is that there's moisture on the rotors. When they get wet, a thin layer of rust will develop on the surface. When the pads come into contact with the rotors, these particles get embedded into them, creating a squealing sound."

Richard, the type of tech who never admits fault.

Anyways, I've contacted my friend who originally recommended the mechanic (I've used this mechanic previously for oil changes and an oxygen sensor replacement). My friend had his brakes done recently as well and they also sequel. It appears that this mechanic doesn't lube anything and that may be part of the problem. I've since concluded that if I go back, he wont rectify the situation for free, so I will use a different mechanic going forward.

Last edited by badman5; 07-06-22 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling and added more details.