GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Seat repair pricing my mecanic is not happy.. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22 | 03:47 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cwang
Tyre guys ruin wheels and brakes, that is a fact we can all agree on. However, you can drive with only 4 nuts, it's not going to fall off because it's missing one. I'd drive with 3 if I had to. Really? What an upstanding mechanic haha. I'll bet it's higher for women.

I've worked it out, he's Steve Coogan or Sasha Baron Cohen roadtesting a new character!
I'd like to meet the village mechanic, 3d printing one off parts for seats and doesn't give you a bill when it's done!
My some of my wheels have less than 3 nuts, and all my hub nuts are damaged, so most of them will fall a part soon.. you can come to my country and i can introduce you , we work together for more than 15 years i have done many favours to him.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Figure out what he's charged you in the past on average per hour for recent jobs.
The 'less than an hour' you saw was probably just the last install part, count the earlier disassembly and diagnosis. Figure he spent at least that much time creating the part out of your view before bringing it back, plus consumables, then reinstall.

So... maybe at least 3x your original time estimate x the rate you came up with.

Plus it sounds like he is the only local mechanic who is somewhat competent and honest, and importantly he has put up with you so far. You need to keep him happy or you will have one very expensive, very rusty, very smelly paperweight on your hands.
​​​​​​​Since we work for more than 15 years he doesnt have any pricing for me, he tells me whatever i want to pay him, and thats it for the last couple of years we worked like that way..
for the last couple of years, i pay him what dealerships charges me, but they doesnt offer this service car repair seats so i cant have a pricing.

Old 07-10-22 | 04:28 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Let's say the going hourly rate for tradesmen is 100. Minus 20 because you are friends, add 20 because you're a special kind of guy l.
I'm not sure anyone worth paying would let your car out of their sight with so many missing bits. Personally i think your best effort was Knowing Me Knowing You. Aha!
Old 07-10-22 | 04:54 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cwang
Let's say the going hourly rate for tradesmen is 100. Minus 20 because you are friends, add 20 because you're a special kind of guy l.
I'm not sure anyone worth paying would let your car out of their sight with so many missing bits. Personally i think your best effort was Knowing Me Knowing You. Aha!
if u visit my country anytime you can help me on site and u will make small fortune trust me. I have given him 300$ total added more money to him today
Old 07-10-22 | 05:47 AM
oldguy77
Rookie

Old 07-10-22 | 06:13 AM
bladest
Instructor

I live in BG Which is in europe
Old 07-10-22 | 09:34 AM
oldguy77
Rookie

Bulgaria. Why not say so?
Old 07-10-22 | 11:06 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

I don't understand why you expect us to provide you with suggestions how much to pay your mechanic when...

A) We don't live in Bulgaria & have no idea how much labor rates are there. Members of this community are primarily from North America (with a handful of active folks from other countries).

B) We don't have a detailed list of the parts he repaired/fixed/etc. Did he fabricate some parts? You said in your original post "created"

Why don't you schedule some time to sit down with him and go over exactly what he fixed on your car? Then go into details about how long each process took (i.e. if he fabricated parts, you'll need to consider that). Be direct with him and ask how much he expects to get paid. Compare what he expect to get paid to the cost of materials & other rates for repair from other mechanics in your area (you can ask them how much they would estimate to repair).

I'm sorry to say, but this is useless topic for ClubLexus in my humble opinion.

Best of luck,

~ im2bz2p345
Old 07-10-22 | 11:30 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
I don't understand why you expect us to provide you with suggestions how much to pay your mechanic when...

A) We don't live in Bulgaria & have no idea how much labor rates are there. Members of this community are primarily from North America (with a handful of active folks from other countries).

B) We don't have a detailed list of the parts he repaired/fixed/etc. Did he fabricate some parts? You said in your original post "created"

Why don't you schedule some time to sit down with him and go over exactly what he fixed on your car? Then go into details about how long each process took (i.e. if he fabricated parts, you'll need to consider that). Be direct with him and ask how much he expects to get paid. Compare what he expect to get paid to the cost of materials & other rates for repair from other mechanics in your area (you can ask them how much they would estimate to repair).

I'm sorry to say, but this is useless topic for ClubLexus in my humble opinion.

Best of luck,

~ im2bz2p345
you can help since i will pay him based on international prices since this service for car seat repair is not available in my country, i dont know how much it cost in usa to fix driver seat lumbar support for such rare car

b) before posting here i tried speaking with him but he doesnt want to tell me number. Yes some parts was fabricates by him not sure how much at least 2 parts. I asked him many times how much he expect to be payed but i dont get any numbers so far i have given him 300$. Total for that repair not sure if this is enought. , i dont have any other repair people i spoke with toyota but they dont offer such repair can someone tell me pricing for usa so i can adjust my payment to him.
Old 07-10-22 | 11:30 AM
dezymond
Instructor

I don't get how you haven't figured out how labor rates work with all your classic car experience.......
Old 07-10-22 | 11:34 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
I don't get how you haven't figured out how labor rates work with all your classic car experience.......

classic cars restoration took several years and its easy to work on them pricing was for specific task and it was before inflation no hourly rate , right now inflation happened so pricing is increased for everything.
Old 07-10-22 | 11:36 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by bladest
classic cars restoration took several years and its easy to work on them pricing was for specific task and it was before inflation no hourly rate , right now inflation happened so pricing is increased for everything.
And yet you found that $100 would be an acceptable price for custom fabrication, install, and labor. From the ONE mechanic in your town. Got it...
Old 07-10-22 | 11:48 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
And yet you found that $100 would be an acceptable price for custom fabrication, install, and labor. From the ONE mechanic in your town. Got it...
its Friend of mine i receive better pricing , and its not in my town a lot of miles aways is his village , do you think 300$ is enought or i need to give him more?
Old 07-10-22 | 02:15 PM
veez81
Intermediate

this is 100% a troll account.
Old 07-10-22 | 02:22 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by veez81
You are wrong,
only few people,who have courage enough, will get car from abroad without seeing it and without any proper dealership or repair service and seek help over forums here. Here is my dissambled and repaired seat!
as a proof for trolls over here. Here repaired and new parts are only missing.

Old 07-10-22 | 02:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by veez81
Folks that are going to continue to make comments like the above, put bladest on your forum ignore list or knock off this type of response. That's not the type of community we are.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...?do=ignorelist

Not only are posts like that rude, they bump threads to the top and give more visibility to content that might annoy you and others. You are creating a bigger problem.

Bladest is where he says he is (I have repeatedly validated his IP location). English is clearly not his native language and he made a terrible purchase with this vehicle which has a lot of problems. Either help him, don't reply or put him in your ignore list.

I have also asked bladest (and am asking him again here) to stop making multiple threads about the same topic. I will also ask him to pay more attention to member recommendations because he simply ignores them and bumps threads with a dismissive reply when it isn't aligned with what he already wants to do. Bladest, if you've made up your mind about something and don't want to consider advice from other members, then do not create a post about it. I'm going to lock or remove your threads when I see that happen.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
LatinLS430 (07-13-22), Measured (07-11-22)