GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Seat repair pricing my mecanic is not happy.. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-22, 02:47 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Seat repair pricing my mecanic is not happy.. please help.

Hi my mecanic recently repair my lumbar support of my seat, he made brand new mecanism and other things install // uninstall everything is working now, but he dont know how to charge me what price any suggestion.......... i dont know pricing for such operations it doesnt exist here in Bg.

How much is fair i can give to him i have given him 100$ but he is not happy , how much more please advice... i cant get pricing toyota doesnt do repairs only sale new parts, he created/repaired all parts installed/deinstalled ..
he is pro from the village.
Old 07-09-22, 03:22 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

It just keeps getting better and better.
The following 3 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
bloodbean (07-10-22), Im2bz2p345 (07-10-22), NJLEXES (07-11-22)
Old 07-09-22, 03:26 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
It just keeps getting better and better.
Its not better if i dont manage to change mind of my village mecanic i am done, who will repair my rusty bucket? What i will do...
right now wheels...
due to hub bolts... which was destroyed by tyre guys today i barely managed to go home with help of road assistance...
i cant drive car without Hub bolts. Wheels are not stable,
i dont want to make road accident or to kill people or my self..
i need your help good people please.
Old 07-09-22, 03:46 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts
Talking

Get you mechanic a bottle of vodka.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (07-09-22)
Old 07-09-22, 03:50 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by peasodos
Get you mechanic a bottle of vodka.

he drinks soda , unfortunately i have already given him a lot of sodas, but this doesnt help,. i also have given him a lot of smokes, but this doesnt help as well, i guess i need to pay him more money, whats your suggestion.... i have tons of repairs for my car like shocks,brakes etcs a lot of things incoming...
endless money pit and repairs bill i need to have a repair man.
Old 07-09-22, 03:58 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Labour is generally billed by the hour. Add the cost of the parts / consumables / whatever and you have your final price. Like what the **** are those questions
Im2bz2p345 (07-10-22)
Old 07-09-22, 04:10 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Labour is generally billed by the hour. Add the cost of the parts / consumables / whatever and you have your final price. Like what the **** are those questions
He finished in less than 1 hour so , what will be pricing according to you, you are charging people as well for repairs.. . can you give me quota.
parts + labour total.
Old 07-09-22, 04:17 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Whatever his hourly rate is + whatever the parts/consumables cost. Not sure how much clearer we can spell this out.

Originally Posted by bladest
you are charging people as well for repairs
?!?!?!?!?!
The following 3 users liked this post by Lwerewolf:
bloodbean (07-10-22), Im2bz2p345 (07-10-22), Margate330 (07-09-22)
Old 07-09-22, 04:18 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Whatever his hourly rate is + whatever the parts/consumables cost. Not sure how much clearer we can spell this out.

?!?!?!?!?!
He dont do Lexus cars and he doesnt have Hourly rate he provide different pricing for everyone but i am regular customer for 15 years.
So he doesnt provide pricing for some things to me he tells me i to decided how much and doesnt give me how much parts and cost everything.
Old 07-09-22, 04:25 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

He is the mechanic who saved you thousands of dollars of not having to go buy a new seat from "aboard" and smart enough to 3D print broken components. And all he gets is a measly $100?

And you wonder why your mechanics never return for a second job? At this rate, you'll have no one to help you and since you don't want to learn any DIY skills, better to move on with the car and get a new one with warranty.

The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
Im2bz2p345 (07-10-22), LatinLS430 (07-13-22)
Old 07-09-22, 04:27 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by 703
He is the mechanic who saved you thousands of dollars of not having to go buy a new seat from "aboard" and smart enough to 3D print broken components. And all he gets is a measly $100?

And you wonder why your mechanics never return for a second job? At this rate, you'll have no one to help you and since you don't want to learn any DIY skills, better to move on with the car and get a new one with warranty.
We work together for 15 years! He have done restoration - for some of my cars over the years and work.. but he is very busy..

i always ask him for a price, but sometimes he doesnt even give me any pricing and tells me i to give him whatever i like...
no one wants to buy the car
so i am kinda screwed.

keep in minda for our country 100$ for less than 1 hour, is 1/3 of our national salary, for us it can be mizerable, but here is not!

Last edited by bladest; 07-09-22 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-09-22, 04:34 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

keep in minda for our country 100$ for less than 1 hour, is 1/3 of our national salary, for us it can be mizerable, but here is not!
How is he able to uninstall the seat, take it apart, diagnose the problem, print 3D components, install and test in 1 hour?

Old 07-09-22, 04:37 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by 703
How is he able to uninstall the seat, take it apart, diagnose the problem, print 3D components, install and test in 1 hour?
He never , removed seat from the car, he removed back cover,

he inspectec what was broken taken it a part
and i visited him after few weeks,
and he installed new parts and assembled back cover of the seat,
seat was never removed from the car.
he doesnt have that much time to do it.
wanted also cleaning of my cooling options but he told me no time. I Diagnosed the problem i showed him which button doesnt work and he traced proper motor or whatever mecanism is responsible for that option.
Old 07-09-22, 06:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Figure out what he's charged you in the past on average per hour for recent jobs.
The 'less than an hour' you saw was probably just the last install part, count the earlier disassembly and diagnosis. Figure he spent at least that much time creating the part out of your view before bringing it back, plus consumables, then reinstall.

So... maybe at least 3x your original time estimate x the rate you came up with.

Plus it sounds like he is the only local mechanic who is somewhat competent and honest, and importantly he has put up with you so far. You need to keep him happy or you will have one very expensive, very rusty, very smelly paperweight on your hands.
Margate330 (07-09-22)
Old 07-10-22, 02:15 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

due to hub bolts... which was destroyed by tyre guys today i barely managed to go home with help of road assistance...i cant drive car without Hub bolts.
Tyre guys ruin wheels and brakes, that is a fact we can all agree on. However, you can drive with only 4 nuts, it's not going to fall off because it's missing one. I'd drive with 3 if I had to.
he doesnt have Hourly rate he provide different pricing for everyone
Really? What an upstanding mechanic haha. I'll bet it's higher for women.

he drinks soda , unfortunately i have already given him a lot of sodas, but this doesnt help,. i also have given him a lot of smokes
I've worked it out, he's Steve Coogan or Sasha Baron Cohen roadtesting a new character!
​​​​​​​I'd like to meet the village mechanic, 3d printing one off parts for seats and doesn't give you a bill when it's done!

Quick Reply: Seat repair pricing my mecanic is not happy.. please help.