GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carista βeta Version App w/ New Live Data ATF & Engine Oil Temperature Readings

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22 | 11:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Default Carista βeta Version App w/ New Live Data ATF & Engine Oil Temperature Readings

Carista has a newly available βeta version app available with new 'Live Data' readings (e.g. Transmission Fluid Temperature & Engine Oil Temperature).

The βeta-only features are free to use and you don't need any purchases to use them; Regular (already-released) features are still paid, even in the βeta version. But if you already have an active subscription from the regular Carista version those features will also work in the βeta version.

Message from Carista Tech Support:
We have transmission fluid temperature 'Live Data' in our βeta version that might be available for your Lexus vehicle.
Would you like to try it for free? If yes, here's how to get into the βeta: https://help.caristaapp.com/hc/artic...et-in-the-beta

► Download the free Carista βeta version app and start using it right away:
  • On Android: Visit the following link and click 'BECOME A TESTER': https://play.google.com/apps/testing...rizmos.carista (Note: Make sure the Google account displayed in the upper right-hand corner is the same account with which you're logged into Google Play Store on your Android device).Soon after clicking on 'BECOME A TESTER' you should get an update on your Android device to the βeta version of Carista through Google Play Store, just like you get any other app update.
  • On iOS: Visit the following link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/gIveBHOs and follow Apple's instructions to download 'TestFlight' (which is Apple's App Store for βeta Apps). Then download the βeta version of Carista from TestFlight.
  1. Open the βeta Carista app and press 'CONNECT'. The app will ask you to send "debug data" from each car you connect to (just once per car). It usually takes between 15 and 40 minutes to collect debug data.
  2. All βeta-only features are free. All newly released (non-βeta) features are still paid, but if you currently have a subscription all newly added features are included at no additional cost in your current subscription plan. You don't need to make any purchases at all in order to try the βeta-only functionality.
Note: Do not delete the βeta app - If you delete the βeta app you're also deleting the collected history of what you've done in the app, which makes it harder for us to help you if you have any questions or issues about the app.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
2GR (07-11-22), Measured (07-11-22)
Old 07-11-22 | 11:54 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

My grandfathered app might have this feature too then?
Old 07-11-22 | 12:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
My grandfathered app might have this feature too then?
Yes, I think so - but you must first 'become a tester' by clicking on the update that you should already have received for your Carista app. Then - after getting the update - make sure the Google account displayed in the upper right-hand corner is the same account with which you're logged into Google Play Store on your Android device. Soon after clicking on 'BECOME A TESTER' you should get an update on your Android device to the βeta version of Carista through Google Play Store, just like you get any other app update. Once you get this update you'll then have the βeta version of Carista which will of course include the previous version of the app you've always had.
  • On Android: Visit the following link and click 'BECOME A TESTER': https://play.google.com/apps/testing...rizmos.carista (Note: Make sure the Google account displayed in the upper right-hand corner is the same account with which you're logged into Google Play Store on your Android device).Soon after clicking on 'BECOME A TESTER' you should get an update on your Android device to the βeta version of Carista through Google Play Store, just like you get any other app update.
Old 07-11-22 | 12:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Interesting. I'll have to give this a try. I monitor my Tundra's ATF temps like a hawk, particularly while towing. I would love to see how the GS temps compare. Tundra transmission runs hot.
Old 07-11-22 | 01:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Interesting. I'll have to give this a try. I monitor my Tundra's ATF temps like a hawk, particularly while towing. I would love to see how the GS temps compare. Tundra transmission runs hot.
Yeah, It's a shame that Lexus doesn't provide an accurately marked (or preferably digital) temperature gauge for both the ATF and engine oil that can be added to the gauge cluster of their vehicles, especially their sport models (e.g. IS, GS, RC, LC, etc.)
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (07-12-22)
Old 07-11-22 | 02:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, I just signed up and updated the app. Will need to test it later.
JDR76 (07-11-22)
Old 07-11-22 | 04:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Okay, I just signed up and updated the app. Will need to test it later.
@ItzFilyO - Keep in mind that like most βeta versions the developers are looking to gain knowledge from its users.

The βeta version of the Carista app will ask you to send 'debug data' from each car you connect to (just once per car). It usually takes between 15 and 40 minutes to collect debug data. This data would be used to enhance the 'Live Data' category of the Carista app. The 'debug data' helps the developers learn if the car the app is connected to has certain modules and sensors which can be used to obtain data. Many vehicles have already had its 'debug data' sent to the developers (e.g. Audi, BMW, VW). The developers are needing 'debug data' for other vehicles, such as all models of Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti vehicles. There is practically no risk in using the βeta version or in sending the 'debug data'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Debug data” is technical information about the modules and sensors in your car and their current and/or supported settings. Here’s how to send Carista the 'debug data':
  • iOS:
  1. Open the slide-out menu from the left of the main screen in Carista
  2. Pick "Debug menu" -> “Collect debug data”
  • Android:
  1. Open the slide-out menu from the left of the main screen in Carista
  2. Tap on the version label at the bottom of it five times in a row
  3. Pick “Collect debug data” from the new menu that shows up

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is not known at this time is if the βeta version already has in its 'Live Data' category the data needed to source from your vehicle's modules and sensors the vehicle's coolant temperature, battery voltage, alternator voltage and rpm, ATF fluid temperature and pressure, and engine oil temperature and pressure...and much more.

The βeta version may already have what is needed to access those modules and sensors in your car needed to acquire this information and much more, but maybe not 'yet'. That's where your use of the βeta version and your willingness to send Carista 'debug data' provides the developers the help they need. The Carista developers are constantly working to add new module/sensor readouts to 'Live Data'.

An example of the precise module/sensor data the Carista app is capable of providing in 'Live Data' is the TPMS tire pressure data which is accurate to 1% (.01 decimal) psi and bar.

Anything a module/sensor can obtain data from that is used to control engine and transmission performance, and probably suspension and brake performance, can also be provided to the user of the app.

Post to let us know if you download the βeta version and check it out to see what new 'Live Data' readouts may be available.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-11-22 at 06:11 PM. Reason: grammar
2GR (07-11-22)