GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car won’t start, stiff brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22, 01:03 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Car won’t start, stiff brake pedal

Like the title says, this morning my 16 GS had a tough time starting, thought it was weird but didn’t think much of it, got home and went to leave and the car is just making a repeated loud noise sounds like almost underneath the car, and the brake pedal will not push in hardly at all. Car only has 47k on it seems odd that the starter would die that early. Battery is less than a year old. Dash said something along the lines of low brake power or something similar but the brakes felt fine when driving earlier. Hoping this doesn’t turn into something super expensive
Old 07-25-22, 03:38 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Like the title says, this morning my 16 GS had a tough time starting, thought it was weird but didn’t think much of it, got home and went to leave and the car is just making a repeated loud noise sounds like almost underneath the car, and the brake pedal will not push in hardly at all. Car only has 47k on it seems odd that the starter would die that early. Battery is less than a year old. Dash said something along the lines of low brake power or something similar but the brakes felt fine when driving earlier. Hoping this doesn’t turn into something super expensive
Sounds like a dead battery, get it tested from the place you bought it, should get replaced for free if that’s the problem.
Old 07-25-22, 04:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,584 Posts

My guess is your less than a year old battery has a bad cell and needs to be replaced (not uncommon at all, especially with cheap batteries). Not knowing where you purchased the battery a year ago, it should be under at least a 7 year (84 month) warranty with replacement at no charge if it fails within 24 months.

Tip - The Lexus GS 350 can be a little touchy about replacing the battery. Be aware that after replacing a battery some people have had their navigation system, the electric emergency brake, the radio head unit, the A/C system , etc. fail to operate as it should which can then require the owner to visit (or even have the car towed) to a Lexus dealership to have things diagnosed and repaired. That said, it is a good choice to get a battery replaced at your Lexus dealership so they will be responsible for anything that fails to operate due to the battery replacement. The cost difference for a battery at the dealership versus most any other place that sells and installs batteries is minimal, plus you get a 84 month warranty and the assurance that Lexus will do it so nothing fails and needs to be diagnosed and repaired. .
Old 07-25-22, 04:49 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
My guess is your less than a year old battery has a bad cell and needs to be replaced (not uncommon at all, especially with cheap batteries). Not knowing where you purchased the battery a year ago, it should be under at least a 7 year (84 month) warranty with replacement at no charge if it fails within 24 months.

Tip - The Lexus GS 350 can be a little touchy about replacing the battery. Be aware that after replacing a battery some people have had their navigation system, the electric emergency brake, the radio head unit, the A/C system , etc. fail to operate as it should which can then require the owner to visit (or even have the car towed) to a Lexus dealership to have things diagnosed and repaired. That said, it is a good choice to get a battery replaced at your Lexus dealership so they will be responsible for anything that fails to operate due to the battery replacement. The cost difference for a battery at the dealership versus most any other place that sells and installs batteries is minimal, plus you get a 84 month warranty and the assurance that Lexus will do it so nothing fails and needs to be diagnosed and repaired. .
You won't have any issues if you use something like this:

EZRED MS4000 Automotive Memory Saver With Built In Charger , Black https://a.co/d/183vCiY

My battery died last month and it wasn't an option timewise to get to a dealer. I used the above and had no issues.

OP: Does it start with a jump pack or other jump start? Grab a multimeter and test the voltage while off, running and starting. It should be around 12.4-12.5 when off, at least 14 when running and most importantly, should be above 10 when starting.

It's normal to have a stiff brake pedal when the car is off. I also get that low brake power warning when I roll the car out of my garage in neutral with the engine off and feather the brakes while doing so.

Last edited by BMGS; 07-25-22 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-26-22, 10:27 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

you were right it was a bad cell, I’ve just never had that happen on such a new battery so I assumed it was something else, it was a pretty expensive interstate battery, guess just bad luck but better than a new starter/alternator
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (07-26-22)
Old 07-26-22, 10:56 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 542 Likes on 366 Posts

you were right it was a bad cell, I’ve just never had that happen on such a new battery so I assumed it was something else, it was a pretty expensive interstate battery, guess just bad luck but better than a new starter/alternator
Not common, but more than you may think. Stuff happens, right?
Old 07-26-22, 11:04 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I'm glad you got it replaced and didn't have any related or lingering problems.

You did not disclose what you replaced the failed battery with - another Interstate battery replaced under warranty or some other choice?
Old 07-26-22, 01:44 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

I'm glad you got it replaced and didn't have any related or lingering problems.

You did not disclose what you replaced the failed battery with - another Interstate battery replaced under warranty or some other choice?
went with the lexus dealership battery. The factory lexus batteries I’ve had in the past lasted 7-8 years.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (07-26-22)