GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Front Brake Squeal/Squeak - New Design Front Shim Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 11:18 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts
Exclamation Front Brake Squeal/Squeak - New Design Front Shim Kit

If anyone with a 4GS has front brake squeal/squeak noise from the front brake pads (must be either an AWD F Sport or a Non-F Sport model) you might want to check out this L-SB and consider possibly replacing the OE Front Shim Kit with the newly designed Front Shim Kit in an effort to stop the squeal/squeak from the front brake pads.

Note: The vehicle must be either an AWD F Sport or a Non-F Sport model.

Introduction: Some 2013 – 2020 model year Lexus AWD F Sport and non-F Sport model vehicles may exhibit a squeal/squeak noise from the front brake pads.
For customers who find this characteristic objectionable, an updated shim kit is now available as a service part.

Brake Squeal/Squeak (AWD F Sport and Non-F Sport)

PREVIOUS PART NUMBER: 04945-30370
NEW PART NUMBER: 04945-30360
PART NAME:SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEAL, FRONT

► See attachment below for: L-SB-0034-18 (Updated March 10, 2020 Rev 1)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Brake Squeal L-SB-0034-18.pdf (352.1 KB, 318 views)
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 05:03 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
If anyone with a 4GS has front brake squeal/squeak noise from the front brake pads (must be either an AWD F Sport or a Non-F Sport model) you might want to check out this L-SB and consider possibly replacing the OE Front Shim Kit with the newly designed Front Shim Kit in an effort to stop the squeal/squeak from the front brake pads.

Introduction: Some 2013 – 2020 model year Lexus AWD F Sport and non-F Sport model vehicles may exhibit a squeal/squeak noise from the front brake pads.
For customers who find this characteristic objectionable, an updated shim kit is now available as a service part.

Brake Squeal/Squeak (AWD F Sport and Non-F Sport)

PREVIOUS PART NUMBER: 04945-30370
NEW PART NUMBER: 04945-30360
PART NAME:SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEAL, FRONT

► See attachment below for: L-SB-0034-18 (Updated March 10, 2020 Rev 1)
Excellent, thanks for sharing. The new pads don't come with shims so for $25 bucks, its worth it. I'll pick up a set before I do mine in the next few months. I just did the rear pads and rotors and I reused the shims but added a generous coat of lube on the back of the pads and shims.

I had a squeal that was resolved by adding a quality lube to the back of the pads shims and all hardware but its cheap enough to go with new shims when doing a refresh.

Last edited by BMGS; 08-07-22 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-21-22, 06:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have a very slight, almost inaudible, squeal coming from the front brakes when in reverse with light brake pressure applied. It lasts only one or two seconds or 4-5 feet of travel. I just started hearing it when backing out of the garage a couple months ago.

I figured the cause was likely related to the Lexus issued Technical Service Information Bulletin L-SB-0034-18 (pdf is attachment of first post in this thread) .

I'll be having the updated new design anti-squeal front shim kit (Part# 04945-30360) installed on my GS 450h front brakes the next time I schedule service.
Old 10-21-22, 10:53 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Since when did either of these have brake squeal? I thought brake squeal was a problem exclusive to the RWD F Sports.
The following users liked this post:
Supraman18 (02-11-23)
Old 10-22-22, 03:46 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Since when did either of these have brake squeal? I thought brake squeal was a problem exclusive to the RWD F Sports.
I had some squeal on my base setup. The brakes were previously done at the dealer and there was no lube applied, which I think is per their procedure.

There's some oem aversion to lube that I haven't figured out yet, possibly due to attraction of dirt and grit but I've never had an issue. I added lube and it made them silent.

When I did my new set of pads and rotors, I lubed them from the start and didn't opt for any upgraded shims but Lexus seems to like the new shims instead of lube.
Old 10-22-22, 09:08 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
My understanding is, the RWD F Sports, like mine, are infamous for their LOUD front brake squeak, but the other cars are not immune.
IMO, any fix to a problem, even a small problem, is a welcome improvement.
Old 10-22-22, 11:54 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Just hit 13k on my 18 F sport RWD and no squeaks yet.
Old 10-23-22, 07:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

My 15 AWD F Sport had terrible squealing brakes. My 19 and now my 20 are ok so far.
Old 12-07-22, 06:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I randomly heard a very slight little squeal sometimes when in reverse backing up very slowly (creeping speed like when backing out of a garage) and lightly applying the brakes. This was caused by poor brake pad contact. It was actually something I could easily overlook and just ignore but since Lexus issued a TSB and new updated part as a remedy I figured I'd go ahead and have the updated shim kits installed.

I had the TSB new updated front brake shim kits (New Part Number 04945-30360)installed today under warranty. No more slight squeal when backing up slowly...

Old 01-19-23, 11:47 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Just need clarification. Does this shim kit upgrade apply to 2013 GS350 AWD, not F Sport, and are the last three digits 370 or 360 for upgraded shims? Or...am I reading the TSB entirely wrong and this only for F Sport and there is no updated shim kit for 2013 Lexus GS350 non F sport?

Last edited by tompass; 01-19-23 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-19-23, 01:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tompass
Just need clarification. Does this shim kit upgrade apply to 2013 GS350 AWD, not F Sport, and are the last three digits 370 or 360 for upgraded shims? Or...am I reading the TSB entirely wrong and this only for F Sport and there is no updated shim kit for 2013 Lexus GS350 non F sport?
The GS model must be either an AWD F Sport or a Non-F Sport model. In other words, the model must not have the larger front brakes that the F-Sport has.

If your GS 350 is an AWD model, this is for your car!

The new (upgraded) anti-squeal front shim kit part number is:
04945-30360

Hope that clarifies it for you...
Old 01-19-23, 01:29 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Great and thanks for clarification. Front brake pads only have 30K miles and are in good shape but I suspect that when mechanic did the job, either did not use the correct shims or did not grease or maybe both. Point is that getting tired of getting that screeching from front on cold start up. Embarrassing and annoying to say least. Made an appointment with another mechanic, first mechanic in state that we no longer live in, to inspect and grease shims. Am I assuming correctly that the pads will have to removed to grease the shims? If that is the case, OK to reinstall same pads given mileage? Both retired now and Lexus is second car and in fact only put 2K miles on it last year.
Old 01-19-23, 01:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Great and thanks for clarification. Front brake pads only have 30K miles and are in good shape but I suspect that when mechanic did the job, either did not use the correct shims or did not grease or maybe both. Point is that getting tired of getting that screeching from front on cold start up. Embarrassing and annoying to say least. Made an appointment with another mechanic, first mechanic in state that we no longer live in, to inspect and grease shims. Am I assuming correctly that the pads will have to removed to grease the shims? If that is the case, OK to reinstall same pads given mileage? Both retired now and Lexus is second car and in fact only put 2K miles on it last year.
Yes, the existing front pads can be re-installed after the new shim kit is installed. As the TSB stated, the upgraded shim kit is to eliminate front squeal when lightly using the brakes when reversing (e.g. backing out of garage). My tech told me it should eliminate it, but it might not! It is not for brake squeal when moving forward, though it might help with that issue.
Old 01-19-23, 01:46 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Thanks. Squeals backing out for sure but also when going forward and coming to stop on first application of brakes. Appreciate your help. Goes in the shop on Monday.
Old 01-19-23, 02:22 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

With 30K on those pads, and since you are going in there removing, greasing etc. I would just put new pads in front with those shims to have piece of mind that its like a new brake job. The rear pads can last nearly twice as long as the fronts. Plus pads are cheap.
The following 2 users liked this post by PGA71:
bclexus (01-19-23), tompass (01-19-23)

Quick Reply: Front Brake Squeal/Squeak - New Design Front Shim Kit