GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

mirrors dimming feature doesnt work at all...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22 | 04:16 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think it turns on with the rear window defroster button.
i will try it soon,how to remove window glass is it easy?
Old 08-10-22 | 04:41 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Just pull, there are 4 clips holding it. Don't break it or u'll be adding more money to that money pit.
Old 08-11-22 | 02:00 AM
bladest
Instructor

Just pull, there are 4 clips holding it. Don't break it or u'll be adding more money to that money pit.
i will leave this complex job for my village mechanic i am afraid that i can brake it.
Old 08-11-22 | 08:10 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

It's not that complex but if u pull the wrong way, the glass will crack. Happened to some people here already.
Old 12-11-22 | 02:33 PM
bladest
Instructor

I am still unable to understand how this dimming system works.
When i turn on my central mirror it becames darker when it see lights but both of my left and right mirrors doesnt became dark...
how exactly system operate is there a separate switch for left and right dimming fuction of these mirrors ?
Can it be some Fuse if its a fuse which fuse, my blind spot works and heating works my mirrors are 100% genuine.
Can test or error be checked with tech stream and issue be found or its not possible, how to trouble shoot left and right mirrors i really need this dimming function but i dont know how to fix it.
My car is having is 100% i checked specs and level of equipment of my car but for some strange reason doesnt work, where are sensors responsible for dimming left and right mirrors located , please advice how to trouble shoot and fix it, i really need this functionality to work...

I am attaching photo of my left mirror...
can someone attach photo of gis auto dimming working gs mirror so i can compare ...
i have no way to dissamble mirror with my current skillz and my village repair is busy thats why i rely on you great people

i notice my mirror have blind spot symbols which works and i also have some
dotted line? Is this how these mirrors should look like or?

Last edited by bladest; 12-11-22 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-11-22 | 06:23 PM
Intermediate

Turn on your phone's flashlight .

Face it to your rear view mirror.

Watch your side mirrors dim.
Old 12-11-22 | 08:15 PM
Cwang
Instructor

I think it turns on with the rear window defroster button.
Damn, I've had this car for 4 years and didn't know I had heated mirrors! Thanks! I now see how the icon shows a mirror.

Bladest, for God's sake don't pull the mirrors apart. This was the only way I could get them to dim, shining a torch at the rear view mirror did nothing.
To test the dimming function, push the auto button so the light on the left lights up green. The car must be on.

Then take something dark (I used a spare pair of socks) to cover the sensor behind the mirror, here

You will see the green light go out as the centre and side mirrors dim.
Old 12-12-22 | 01:01 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by 909
Turn on your phone's flashlight .

Face it to your rear view mirror.

Watch your side mirrors dim.
I have done this test
and it doesnt work, my mirrors doesnt dim thats the problem, either they have fuse broken or they have been replaced with fake ones without dimming option... or something else related ?

I will summarize it again
my central mirror is dimming and its fine, with and without flashlight from car lights.

but my outside mirrors left and right doesnt dim never even with flashlight even with car lights so its something broken.

Either fuse, electric wire or mirrors have been replace is there a way to trouble shoot outside mirrors left and right can someone provide picture of your mirrors so i can compare with mine.
Old 12-13-22 | 08:00 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by bladest
but my outside mirrors left and right doesnt dim never even with flashlight even with car lights so its something broken.
Did you try my method of testing? You know not every GS is automatically equipped with this feature in the mirrors. My manual says 'if fitted'. It could be a regional thing?
Here all 2012 350s have folding mirrors, HUD and radar cruise yet the beautiful TPMS display and auto locking doors are not available. Why? Who knows. Perhaps your car never had them??
Old 12-14-22 | 03:22 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cwang
Did you try my method of testing? You know not every GS is automatically equipped with this feature in the mirrors. My manual says 'if fitted'. It could be a regional thing?
Here all 2012 350s have folding mirrors, HUD and radar cruise yet the beautiful TPMS display and auto locking doors are not available. Why? Who knows. Perhaps your car never had them??
My Car is For European market
i have all the options without high beam assist and sun moon roof, and rear steering everything else i have based on my vin/chasis from toyota/lexus europe
i will paste again, that i have AUTO dimming mirrors for the whole car, i also have night vision and possible single option.
thats how my car left factory, if previous owner changed mirrors or glass this explains why they doesnt work or its something wrong with my mirrors or mirroring system,

i have tested many times with flashlight left and right mirror they doesnt change at all. only inside central mirror changes.i am not talking about brochure from toyota or lexus i am talking when your car has been created from the factory you see your specs of the car from toyota lexus you need subscription for that.

i am attaching photo as well.
You will see i attached only few things not my full car specs, but mirrors are EC- ec means electro cromatic. Everything which is written inside the specs from toyota i have on my car and everything my car is without i dont have...

how these Electrochromatic exactly works is there a Fuse or something , or they only react based into the light without electricity

Old 12-14-22 | 04:13 AM
Cwang
Instructor

i will paste again, that i have AUTO dimming mirrors for the whole car,
I believe you, but for the third and final time, did you try the method I described above?
Old 12-14-22 | 04:42 AM
bladest
Instructor

I believe you, but for the third and final time, did you try the method I described above?
Hello again,
thank you for your suggestion i tried it again,
and i can CONFIRM only my center mirror is going dark, i also tried on off of the center mirror, when i press it off it never goes dark, when i make it on it goes dark when i do your test, unfortunately for reasons unknown to me left and right mirrors never goes dark ,do they have separate or fuse of something which i can troubleshoot.
Can it be falthy sensor of my center mirrors ? I really have no clue how to fix it , i think my glasses are different did you check my picture my mirrors have puncture is this normal for dimmed mirrors?

i saw on ebay mirrors used with auto dimming feature where they doesnt have this puncture ?
Are only fake non dimming mirrors with this punctured line?
Any more trouble shooting steps, also if 1 mirror is dissambled from my village mechanic in a few months can we figure it out if they have it as option and how or its not possible ?
how dimmed and non dimmed mirrors look like from inside?
glass it self ?
Old 12-14-22 | 02:06 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Just so you know, the one sensor in the mirror controls all three mirrors. You need to watch the side mirrors very closely, the change is subtle. Don't take your eyes off them when you do the test. I'll look up the appropriate documentation later to answer your other question.
Old 12-14-22 | 02:13 PM
bladest
Instructor

Just so you know, the one sensor in the mirror controls all three mirrors. You need to watch the side mirrors very closely, the change is subtle. Don't take your eyes off them when you do the test. I'll look up the appropriate documentation later to answer your other question.
i see center mirror changes colour but left and right outside mirrors,doesnt change colour at all.. i wear glasses but i have driven at least 40 cars with electrocromatic mirrors , i really see absolutely no difference,, option 1 previous owner changed glass, option 2 sensor is faulthy or fuse or something else...
can these mirrors be tested with techstream or some other option , so the issue problem be located easily because currently it can be a lot of things it can be mirrors it self swapped to non genuine or not the right one.... So far thanks for your help i hope we will be able to find where exactly the issue is.

How minor subtle is the change, can it be seen with human eye or?
For sure center mirror works but other not... do i need to press other buttons exept the center button on/ green button for side mirrors?

Old 12-14-22 | 04:19 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Hmm that's interesting. So yours is a 'Baltic' pack. I'd love to see a list of all the different regions, and their specific oddities. Odd you don't have a sunroof or lane keep assist, but other than that it's pretty bloody well specced. It says Clock - with.......is there a GS out there without a clock????? According to the data your mirrors are EC compatible.

Bladest, this is the last I want to hear about this particular issue, whether you try to fix your mirror or not is up to you. If you go ahead and start following the steps I've outlined, I'm here to support you but you will need the skills and tools to carry out the work, we can't help you with that. I'm marginally handy and I wouldn't attempt to remove my mirror glass, let alone without a dealer network in my city. ALL the information is here. If I've missed something or your technician carrying out the work needs more info, I'm only too happy to provide it.
can these mirrors be tested with techstream or some other option
Documentation tells me that every function can be tested like movement, fold, heater etc but not the EC function. Feel free to try though. If you have an old high mile Lexus you MUST have Techstream and the suitable OBD-USB cable.
How minor subtle is the change, can it be seen with human eye or?
You'll see it changing with the human eye, it just dims a little. Don't take your eye off it, it's subtle.
, option 1 previous owner changed glass, option 2 sensor is faulthy or fuse or something else...
Nah, you're looking at it the wrong way, trust me I know. What you need to do is test the centre mirror itself (you've done that). That confirms all the fuses work and the system is working. Now you just need to check 1) whether the mirrors EC (Electrochromatic) function itself works and if that tests OK 2) whether the mirrors/ECU are receiving the command.

The thing is, it's all a PITA to get to. To test the mirror itself, do this. Personally I wouldn't risk breaking my mirror to fix the EC functionality. (I didn't even know my mirror dimmed or heated until I tested it yesterday)

If that works, your mirrors are good. Check the signal coming in with a multimeter whilst you're there, too. Then check the signal going to the front multiplex network door ECU, and leaving it going to the mirror itself. How to do that is discussed in the attached PDFs. It looks like a freaking nightmare to access, door glass out!!!! 11.pdf tells you how to remove enough of the door to get to the ECU. 12.pdf tells you what pins to check for what voltage.
If that all checks out, then check the voltage at the mirror connector itself, easy to do given the door has been stripped. Troubleshooting is a very simple procedure, you just have to start from the beginning!
I have COVID == time at home......so much time.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
11.pdf (1.14 MB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf
12.pdf (173.6 KB, 13 views)

Quick Reply: mirrors dimming feature doesnt work at all...