GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

mirrors dimming feature doesnt work at all...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 02:04 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default mirrors dimming feature doesnt work at all...

Hi everyone i first let me say i have read several topics over the forum + i have done the flash light test on all of my mirrors.

My car is to the max specs all of my 3 mirrors should dim, auto dim, but only the center mirror inside the car works it have auto on and off and it works.

For my left and right mirrors i also have auto/ on and off but it doesnt change anything i tried tested with flashlight test nothing happens.... i have blind spot monitoring which works fortunately... is there a way to check this dimming feature with tech stream , or is it possible my glasses to be replaced and to have non dimmed glass?
Any suggestions are welcome or to have something broken ? Can this system be turned off from tech stream on or off or a way status to be checked ?
I am sad that my tpms cant be fixed for now but with this extra auto dimming feature i feel my car close to my classical ones...
i have driven many cars with dimming mirrors like Jaguar etcs so i know how they work, if they see light from cars they dim, so my only center mirror works and i am very sad i want to fix left and right mirrors, somehow... not sure how the system is implemented into the gs450h i dont think its related to night vision system or something else?
Old 08-10-22, 02:15 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine don't work that great either I've noticed. They do dim but it takes a while and by them I'm pretty ticked off at the guy behind me with his high beams on.
Old 08-10-22, 02:17 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Mine don't work that great either I've noticed. They do dim but it takes a while and by them I'm pretty ticked off at the guy behind me with his high beams on.
Mine doesnt work at all?
How i can fix them or find out if its a tech stream issue ,is this common issue, how the auto dim works, is there other place or only the middle mirror which controls left and right mirrors dimming feature?
Old 08-10-22, 02:30 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

Bladest, you have alot of bad luck with that car.

Old 08-10-22, 02:39 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gerf
Bladest, you have alot of bad luck with that car.

Can you suggest how to fix my mirrors, please,

i have some issues with my car but thats life, i guess every lexus is like that money pit.
Old 08-10-22, 03:04 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
Can you suggest how to fix my mirrors, please
I don't even know if you have auto dimming mirrors, I don't know if my cars has them either and I don't care.
You shouldn't concern yourself with these little problems because you have some big ones to take care of first, if you ever get all these problems you say you have fixed you will end up not knowing what to do with yourself.
Old 08-10-22, 03:23 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Just get tinted windows and that should help with the glare in the mirrors.

Wait, let me guess... nobody does window tinting in BG.
Old 08-10-22, 03:25 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gerf
I don't even know if you have auto dimming mirrors, I don't know if my cars has them either and I don't care.
You shouldn't concern yourself with these little problems because you have some big ones to take care of first, if you ever get all these problems you say you have fixed you will end up not knowing what to do with yourself.
As i mentioned in several previous topics,
my car have all possible options including extremely rare night vision, so according to my specs and broshure i have auto dimming mirrors,

the only options i am missing are sun and moon roof and auto high beam assist. So i am always inside 18 way driver seat adjustble seat cooled and heated inside my ultra luxury cocoon.i have eyes issues so i dont see well in the dark my classical cars have standart mirrors thats why i opted to have every single possible option and i need to fix this one since i drive in the dark , when there is not a much traffic.

This is what i have from my specs sheet .

Outside rear view mirror Auto, ec, dp: aspherical, heater, bsm
- So i have auto, dimming mirror,ashperical,heated + blind spot
EC mirrors are dimmer mirrors made with electrochromic (EC) materials.
So i have it but for some strange or unknown reason to me ,both of my mirrors doesnt work at all only center one works as electrochromic i need to solve this puzzle.
My blind spot works fine on my both mirrors.

My Car have factory tinted rear windows , remember i got all the specs including water repellent ,remember the highest possible lexus ever existed and created gs baby.
Old 08-10-22, 03:37 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I think all 3 of my mirrors dims when there's a bright light shining at it from behind me. But then I have tinted windows all around so it probably absorbs some of the glare.
Old 08-10-22, 03:39 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think all 3 of my mirrors dims when there's a bright light shining at it from behind me.
My mirrors doesnt dim, i tried test with flash light, i tried tested driving in the night, i tried on off button in the center mirror so outside mirrors doesnt work and i am very frustrated , i think i got a lemon, is there a way to fix these mirrors , can they be disabled from toyota tech stream or other place may be previous owner done something i dont know what, he was stupid person and i am fixing his mistakes now..

When i manually flash with bright light my mirrors in the dark left doesnt respond, on started car , right doesnt change/respond
only the center mirror respond,
my rear window is tinted but my middle mirror always goes dark when there is light, but for my outside left and right thats not the case they never change ... so they are either broken or broken connections or something else like permanently disabled, is there a function somewhere else exept central mirror for this option?
Old 08-10-22, 03:53 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I think it turns on with the middle mirror. If both left and right don't dim then maybe ur car doesn't have it.
Old 08-10-22, 04:00 PM
bladest
Instructor

I think it turns on with the middle mirror. If both left and right don't dim then maybe ur car doesn't have it.
This is what i have from my specs sheet .

Outside rear view mirror Auto, ec, dp: aspherical, heater, bsm
- So i have auto, dimming mirror,ashperical,heated + blind spot
EC mirrors are dimmer mirrors made with electrochromic (EC) materials.
So i have it but for some strange or unknown reason to me ,both of my mirrors doesnt work at all only center one works as electrochromic i need to solve this puzzle.
My blind spot works fine on my both mirrors.

I bet previous owner have done something, is it possible that my mirror glass is replaced, how i can verify if its genuine or not ? Are there any marking or the only option is to be dissambled, is it easy to dissamble mirrors , my car had the options from the factory but they are either damaged/ broken or replaced with non dimmable.... if the mirror have that electrochromatic option but someone replace it with regular glass with blind spot and heated only, will it work or?

My car lexus specs sheet doesnt lie i have but it it doesnt work like some of my car options....
Old 08-10-22, 04:01 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Is the heated function working? U can pop off the mirrors and check if they're OEM or aftermarket.
Old 08-10-22, 04:03 PM
bladest
Instructor

Is the heated function working? U can pop off the mirrors and check if they're OEM or aftermarket.
Here is 40 degrees so i cant check out the heating function, is it easy to pop off the mirrors i cant do dissambly i will ask my village mechanic once he replace my shocks...
Also how to start this heating function, for the mirrors, is it from the physical button or some menu inside my air conditioner? I will try to test them soon.
Old 08-10-22, 04:13 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I think it turns on with the rear window defroster button.

Quick Reply: mirrors dimming feature doesnt work at all...