GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone have a K&N engine filter and do they improve anything?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 04:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
My GN was nearly stock. It had a slightly bigger turbo, 12psi boost, a mild chip that locked up the converter and kept it locked. Back in the day, they hunted something fierce, in and out. Best it ever ran was 13.85 in the quarter on street tires. Funny, it got about the same mileage as the Lexus GS 350.

Some of the boys can stand them on the back bumper, though. The turbo looks like it is big enough to have been on the space shuttle and it was facing forward through the bumper with no filter, K&N or otherwise.
Haha! Yep, turbos are so easy to gain significant horsepower by increasing the boost.

We often talk about engine oil; its color and whether it needs replacing. Turbocharged gasoline engines will darken engine oil very fast. Not only is the turbo and the turbo bearings hard on the engine oil, but the increased chamber pressures and blow-by will darken the engine oil. Much of the additive package in engine oils tend to darken quickly from just the 100°C (212°F) typical operating heat. That darkened or black color of the engine oil often needlessly concerns many vehicle owners. But just because the engine oil looks dark or pitch black does not mean it's worn-out or in any way the least bit ineffective and needs replacing...

Last edited by bclexus; 08-14-22 at 09:25 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-13-22, 06:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,049 Posts

IS350's 3.5 N/A (No Turbo), with Bolt on's only, have done 13.2 quarter miles. Most technologies have changes 35-40 years later to date. Including Filter engineering.
Old 08-13-22, 06:20 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

No, no and no! What a senseless waste of $$.
The following users liked this post:
GibbsLexus (08-13-22)
Old 08-13-22, 06:24 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

Those that have them, take it out, hold it up to a light, and take a look at how many holes they've developed in the gauze letting dirt and nonsense through.

I'd say 80% of every K&N I pulled out of customers cars when I worked in a quick lube (For chevrolet) they were full of holes. I'd recommend a filter, then the car's owner would come out and nag about all sort of fun blah blah and airflow and nascar and what-not.

Then they'd buy a real air filter and watch me install it when I showed them their filter was more like a screen.

DON'T. BUY. ONE.

If you're down with rebuilding the motor to go to the strip and knock a tenth or so off your time then, sure, get yourself one so you can suck more air. If you're not... then K&N is going to disappoint you.

Edit: Gauze, stupid autocorrect

Last edited by Mangsailor; 08-13-22 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-13-22, 07:38 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
Those that have them, take it out, hold it up to a light, and take a look at how many holes they've developed in the gauge letting dirt and nonsense through.

I'd say 80% of every K&N I pulled out of customers cars when I worked in a quick lube (For chevrolet) they were full of holes. I'd recommend a filter, then the car's owner would come out and nag about all sort of fun blah blah and airflow and nascar and what-not.

Then they'd buy a real air filter and watch me install it when I showed them their filter was more like a screen.

DON'T. BUY. ONE.

If you're down with rebuilding the motor to go to the strip and knock a tenth or so off your time then, sure, get yourself one so you can suck more air. If you're not... then K&N is going to disappoint you.

Just nonsense. To sell customers a new filter that should just be cleaned and re-oiled. Even if you did not clean and oil it which is not proper and then it becomes user error.

Just a warning - if someone is about to show some out the car test it will be debunked and a embarrassment to test outside the engine air housing with inaccurate data. lol!
Old 08-13-22, 07:49 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Just nonsense. To sell customers a new filter that should just be cleaned and re-oiled. Even if you did not clean and oil it which is not proper and then it becomes user error.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9lJxQ1s-U

Just a warning - if someone is about to show some out the car test it will be debunked and a embarrassment to test outside the engine air housing with inaccurate data. lol!
You literally didn't read what I wrote. "Lol" indeed.

I've seen tons of them with holes in them where airflow through the filter would've been at it's highest velocity.

Save it. The proof in the pudding is how it tastes.
Old 08-13-22, 08:53 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

You literally didn't read what I wrote. "Lol" indeed.

I've seen tons of them with holes in them where airflow through the filter would've been at it's highest velocity.

Save it. The proof in the pudding is how it tastes.
I see nothing but inaccurate claims. I see NO proof. I see Nothing to save.

I hear someone recommending to sell a new filter.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...-mechanic.html
Old 08-13-22, 09:17 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
I see nothing but inaccurate claims. I see NO proof. I see Nothing to save.

I hear someone recommending to sell a new filter.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...-mechanic.html
Oh yeah man you're totes so right there's no way people post about this on other forums talking about it must be bull because I didn't post a link

Do a little research yourself. 10sec of googling and you can find plenty of K&N filters with holes in them. Here's an example: https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/ho...ilters.729910/

I'm not going to spoon feed you, its super simple to find for yourself.

I'm done here anyways. I've seen hundreds full of holes and plenty of people like you with the same rhetoric that they're super-duper special... until you actually look at them against a light.

Everyone else that has one, pull it out and look at it against the sun or your kitchen light or whatever, you'll see what I mean.

Best of luck #haveablessedday!
Old 08-13-22, 10:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah man you're totes so right there's no way people post about this on other forums talking about it must be bull because I didn't post a link

Do a little research yourself. 10sec of googling and you can find plenty of K&N filters with holes in them. Here's an example: https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/ho...ilters.729910/

I'm not going to spoon feed you, its super simple to find for yourself.

I'm done here anyways. I've seen hundreds full of holes and plenty of people like you with the same rhetoric that they're super-duper special... until you actually look at them against a light.

Everyone else that has one, pull it out and look at it against the sun or your kitchen light or whatever, you'll see what I mean.

Best of luck #haveablessedday!
10k no cleaning and oiling of a filter that specifies it. Ok, and if you read the post links other mentioned the same, including no dyno test ( any GS350 dyno test?) The filter was not used as designed. What's so difficult to understand about that? That's not the Filter short coming or its fault. Not having Oil in your engine will create a problem too. lol!

I have one and 2 of my friends have them also. I'll ask them to post pics also. Then when No holes, then what?

Blessings to you also. Thanks.
Old 08-13-22, 11:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I wonder if the F Sport one will cause any problems. If it's trash then Toyota wouldn't make it right?

The following users liked this post:
PM22 (08-23-22)
Old 08-14-22, 03:22 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

i used on gs350 for the past 90k? no problem usually when i change out the filter i clean the sensor too.
Old 08-14-22, 09:19 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I wonder if the F Sport one will cause any problems. If it's trash then Toyota wouldn't make it right?

Nor will the K&N cause a problem if you just clean and oil it.
Old 08-15-22, 10:15 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe the Lexus F-Sport filter is a dry-type. No oiling, no worries.

I see it has a cleaning solution, don’t believe its an oil.

Last edited by DaSyce; 08-15-22 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-15-22, 10:22 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I believe the Lexus F-Sport filter is a dry-type. No oiling, no worries.

I see it has a cleaning solution, don’t believe its an oil.
It does have a cleaning solution and it is a dry filter. This is one of the reasons why I chose this over the K&N. Don't like dealing with the oil stuff. Plus it has the FSport logo, it looks cool, and it's made by Lexus so no warranty issues. Who wouldn't want that?!
Old 08-15-22, 10:33 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
It does have a cleaning solution and it is a dry filter. This is one of the reasons why I chose this over the K&N. Don't like dealing with the oil stuff. Plus it has the FSport logo, it looks cool, and it's made by Lexus so no warranty issues. Who wouldn't want that?!
I use an AEM DryFlow filter on my GS, it looks very close to the F-Sport one.

I've used K&N filters on a few cars for about a 15 year period, I never had any issues but I switched to the DryFlow design since its one less step without the oil.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a K&N engine filter and do they improve anything?