GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone have a K&N engine filter and do they improve anything?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 07:09 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Anyone have a K&N engine filter and do they improve anything?

Good morning. Does anyone in here have experience with a k&n engine air filter? If so is it worth the cost? Are there any improvements in anything?
Old 08-13-22, 07:18 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
Good morning. Does anyone in here have experience with a k&n engine air filter? If so is it worth the cost? Are there any improvements in anything?
Count on zero performance improvement, but an increased likelihood of MAF trouble. But it may look purdy!
Old 08-13-22, 07:26 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 209 Posts

No significant gain but more risk to your sensors. Just stick with OEM and change it when required.
Old 08-13-22, 07:43 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
No significant gain but more risk to your sensors. Just stick with OEM and change it when required.
How will this affect my sensors? I'm curious.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (08-13-22)
Old 08-13-22, 08:07 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 209 Posts

How will this affect my sensors? I'm curious.
The K&N is an oiled filter whereas the OEM is dry. Depending on the car and how close the MAF is to the filter, I've seen cases where the sensor was soaked in oil, causing a CEL.
Old 08-13-22, 08:24 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a drop in K&N airfilter for my stock air box, not a cold air intake. I can say you get a bit more induction sound and throttle response is better. As far as power, doubt an change what so ever, however my MPG AVG has seemed to improve. Before I would avg 18-19 now I avg 20-21. I do mostly city driving.

As for the oil coating the MAF issue, I've had this filter since 2019, no issues. Just make sure to clean it and not over oil it.
jgscott (08-13-22)
Old 08-13-22, 08:54 AM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Yup. And nope. Installed the drop in K&N i think around 10k miles and just crossed 60k on my car. Other than not worry to replace it every 2 - 3 years, I have seen no benefit. The only reason I got it was because I got a crazy good deal on it. I think I paid like under 30 bucks shipped and taxed. If I had to pay the regular price, I wouldn't have done it.

Also, no issue with MAF (knock on the wood).

Old 08-13-22, 08:57 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I can just feel a ton of misinfo post coming from those who have not tried it on their GS.
Old 08-13-22, 09:09 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

One thing I forgot to mention it is washable and you will have to clean it. They have instructions online on how to do it. You will need their cleaning kit. I need to do mine soon. I also just remembered my spouse's RX also has a K&N drop in, so far so good. Its' been in for about 1 year.
Old 08-13-22, 09:21 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Glad to hear different prospectives and experiences from fellow gs350 owners. At this time, I'll just get a OEM filters for my upcoming 60k service
Old 08-13-22, 12:57 PM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a K&N air filter on my motorcycle. It's a nuisance to wash, dry overnight, and oil the next day. But I put less than 2000 miles a year on that motorcycle, so I don't have to do it often. I wouldn't want to do it to a daily driver car.
Old 08-13-22, 02:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Glad to hear different prospectives and experiences from fellow gs350 owners. At this time, I'll just get a OEM filters for my upcoming 60k service
Hearing some of this misinformation I would too if I was you.

There are millions of threads about K&N filter on the web for years. 99% are inaccurate. Two independent Filter Engineers provided results of real like engine cfm, temperature, materials expansion, flow efficiency, and particle filtration, with explanations, and debunked the 99% wrong who had nothing. Here we go.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
GibbsLexus (08-13-22), Measured (08-14-22)
Old 08-13-22, 02:23 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

I have no experience on the Lexus GS 350 but I have had numerous K&N filters through the years. If you do not overoil them, they are great in that you don't have to change them for years unless you drive down gravel roads all year long.

I currently have one in my carbed Buick GS that has been there for 30 years. Cleaned it and oiled it once about 10 years ago. I still have enough oil to clean it and oil it again. I had one in Buick Grand National and never cleaned it though I didn't own that car more than 3-4 years.

You will not get any more performance or HP from one. When I first got mine 30 years ago, I tried it with a new paper filter, no filter and the K&N. The paper and K&N were within the margin of error in the 1/4 mile tests. 12.45, give or take a few 100ths. The run with no element but the housing in place to smooth air flow only got it to 12.44 range. Still within the margin of error. They used to claim they filtered better the dirtier they got but I would also expect them to be more restrictive.

For the Lexus to gain HP, you would have to find the filter was a restriction and I don't think the factory filter is the limiting factor. It rarely is unless it is clogged with dirt and debris.

To verify the factory filter isn't a restriction, see what your vacuum reading is at WOT. If it isn't near 0, you have an induction restriction.
Old 08-13-22, 04:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I currently have one in my carbed Buick GS that has been there for 30 years. Cleaned it and oiled it once about 10 years ago. I still have enough oil to clean it and oil it again. I had one in Buick Grand National and never cleaned it though I didn't own that car more than 3-4 years. You will not get any more performance or HP from one.
@Knucklebus - Now be honest Knuckles - your Buick Grand National would have never been able to do a wheelie without a K&N engine filter.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-13-22 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added picture of Knuckles Buick Grand National a split second before he blew the engine
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Knucklebus (08-13-22), PM22 (08-23-22)
Old 08-13-22, 04:52 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Be honest Knuckles - your Buick Grand National would have never been able to do a wheelie without it.

My GN was nearly stock. It had a slightly bigger turbo, 12psi boost, a mild chip that locked up the converter and kept it locked. Back in the day, they hunted something fierce, in and out. Best it ever ran was 13.85 in the quarter on street tires. Funny, it got about the same mileage as the Lexus GS 350.

Some of the boys can stand them on the back bumper, though. The turbo looks like it is big enough to have been on the space shuttle and it was facing forward through the bumper with no filter, K&N or otherwise.
PM22 (08-23-22)

Quick Reply: Anyone have a K&N engine filter and do they improve anything?