GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Compliments on your 4GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-22, 08:03 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts
Default Compliments on your 4GS

Lately, I've been getting compliments on my 4GS from random folks.

Today I was getting into my driveway and a passerby complimented my ride and we started chatting about calipers, brakes, Lexus ownership experience. He has an older LS430.

The other day a gentleman walking his dog said "Thats a beautiful car my friend."

Always nice to hear a kind word. My guess is the GS is aging well!

Anyone else experiencing random compliments from strangers on their 4GS?
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (08-21-22)
Old 08-19-22, 08:52 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

No. I don’t talk to strangers. Unless the stranger is an attractive woman swiping right at my mere mortal presence.
The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
AJLex19 (08-20-22), Gerf (08-20-22)
Old 08-19-22, 09:40 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the only compliment I’ve ever received on a car from a stranger was on my 2003 bmw 540i. Which admittedly was a nice car to look at, and very fun to drive, but terrible to own. Good riddance. Maybe I’ve had a compliment here or there on my GS but never from a stranger, maybe just a friend or family member who, after they drive in it, are like hey nice car. My fiancée has always liked it, good enough for me
AJLex19 (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 01:51 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Rarely get compliments from strangers but some people I know have told me they like it and everyone who's driven it is always complimentary.

A super sketchy guy in a beat down Altima told me "wow that car looks like it's fast - is it fast?". Cool compliment but you also have to consider the source.

I told him it's about as fast as it looks. To him that means crazy fast, for me it means slightly faster than average LOL.
AJLex19 (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 06:10 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I parked far away from any other vehicles in a large parking lot at Lowes Hardware recently and as I was walking back to my GS 450h a fellow stopped to look at my car, walking all around it two or three times. He saw me coming toward him and the car and when I arrived he told me how beautiful it was. He said he was going to visit a Lexus dealership to see about buying one. I told him Lexus discontinued it and it's no longer in their lineup. He said; well Lexus lost a sale!

Last edited by bclexus; 08-20-22 at 08:30 AM. Reason: grammarr
The following 3 users liked this post by bclexus:
AJLex19 (08-20-22), Ironman50 (09-05-22), JeffKeryk (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 07:59 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

My GS is still out of commission.
Old 08-20-22, 08:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Did they provide any information about it?
Old 08-20-22, 08:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I get occasional but infrequent compliments on the GS, though I barely drive it so that makes sense. For whatever reason, I get compliments on the Tundra all of the time.
AJLex19 (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 08:29 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
They did and still couldn't find the mystery rattle. Does anyone else have the rattle?! Maybe it's a GS thing.
Old 08-20-22, 09:10 AM
tomex77
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

On the contrary, I get tons of compliments on mine. It's black, triple beams and has been buffed and ceramic coated. So when it's clean, it's so glossy and shinny you can't help but see it.
AJLex19 (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 09:20 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

My GS has this very faint rattle or creaking noise and it's most noticeable when accelerating from a stop and letting go of the gas. It's very soft and I don't know where it's coming from. I can only hear it when the radio is off and windows are closed. I can't hear it with the windows down though. Car drives fine and doesn't make any weird noise when driving fast and cornering hard. Only when accelerating slowly from a stop and in slow city driving.

This has been happening for a long time (since I got it probably) and has not gotten any worse. If I recall correctly, my 2018 RC350 was doing the same thing. It almost sound like engine knocks when using lower grade fuel but I don't think it's coming from the engine. Engine knocks are loud, this is very soft and doesn't happen when idling either. Are u guys experiencing the same thing with urs?
Originally Posted by bclexus
They did and still couldn't find the mystery rattle. Does anyone else have the rattle?! Maybe it's a GS thing.
So, is it a rattle or is it a creaking noise? Those two noises are really quite different. Is the rattle a metal-on-metal rattle or from some other material?

If it's a faint creaking noise heard when first accelerating lightly from a stop, the first thing I think of is maybe it's something associated with the suspension creaking (e.g. bushings) like a bushing on sway bar twisting or maybe the engine mount (e.g. equivalent to an engine dog bone mount) that prevents the engine from torque twisting and lifting up when it increases rpm. Or, maybe a brake caliper releasing its clamp on the brake disc.

If it's a very soft metal-on-metal rattle when first accelerating lightly from a stop and then lifting off the throttle, the first thing I think of is the VVT-i mechanism or a tensioner pulley. If it's more of a clicking noise maybe its the electrically operated solenoids in the transmission reacting to the signals from the ECU in response to your throttle input.

If the noise is as faint and soft as you say I'd just consider it normal noise coming from a very complex piece of sophisticated machinery that has all sorts of mechanical and electrical actions taking place. I'm guess a Bentley would likely make some similar noises...

Last edited by bclexus; 08-20-22 at 09:25 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-20-22, 09:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tomex77
On the contrary, I get tons of compliments on mine. It's black, triple beams and has been buffed and ceramic coated. So when it's clean, it's so glossy and shinny you can't help but see it.
Did you know that black cars only stay clean for a mere 42 seconds!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There’s nothing sexier than a shiny, clean black car. Nothing! There is nothing LESS sexy than a dusty, or dirty, or scratched black car. Nothing!

When you’re looking for a new car, the black one will seduce you. You’ll look at that model in another color, think about being practical, but the black one will wink at you. Tip its chin. Purr, “Hey baby… I want you inside me.” Walk away NOW, or you’ll take it for a test drive. When you get into a black car for the first time, you’ll feel dangerously sexier than you ever felt in your whole life. Your inner panther will roar. You’ll tingle in places you forgot you had. You’ll like it. And, chances are - you’ll buy it. The other cars just won’t make you tingle like that. Your only protection is to never get behind the wheel of a black car in the first place. Just walk away, and life will be uncomplicated. But, you’ll always wonder…what if.

A thin film of dust becomes luminescent on a black car. Every single spot of anything, even dried sterile water, stands out like a goober zit on prom night. At first, it will disturb and upset you so much that you’ll wash your car immediately. And…then it’ll be dusty again before you even finish drying it. An unknown little fact: Black cars only stay clean for a mere 42 seconds. But, they are the sexiest 42 seconds you’ll ever know. Because of that 42 second rush, you’ll wash your black baby faithfully every weekend. For the first year anyway. And then, all those scratches and swirls you put in the paint taking care of your baby will erode your resolve. You’ll start skipping. People will stare at your car in disgust, and make all sorts of judgments about your sloppiness. You'll scream things at them like; 'Shut up - I just washed this damn car 15 minutes ago.' Of course, you could always buy the black car and make it a garage queen...and never drive it. That's really smart! But hey, it will still get dusty...and all scratched up by you carefully hand washing it.

If you’ve never owned a black car - you may want to admire them from afar, with someone else dealing with all that goes with owning a black car. But...maybe you're the kind of guy that is 'up for the job'. Because maybe you have loads of time and energy to deal with it. If so, you either don't have a job, or a wife, or a girlfriend (or both!), or children...or a even a life!

A scratch on a black car means only one thing - extreme sadness. Be prepared, because you will have zillions of tiny scratches all over your black beauty. You know what color the car is underneath that glossy black? White. You know what scratches black cars? Car washes. Yes, you must always wash it by hand, or that slick black paint will be gouged with zillions of little white arcs where the car wash spinners hit it. Oh, but guess what? If you even touch your paint when you hand wash it - you too will also be putting zillions of scratches in the paint. It simply cannot be avoided. A scratched-up black car is not sexy. Don’t let your black car go like that. Don’t let it get all scratched up because you’re too lazy to wash it by hand either. Or, because it's too cold. Or, you don't have the time. Nothing is worse looking than a black car with white swirl rainbows in the black paint that is supposed to be like a fine mirror finish. Be prepared to buy thousands of dollars worth of products and tools to keep it decent looking. Are you ready to wash/clean, strip, clay, polish and wax/coat on a regular basis? All to see it looking less than sexy again as soon as you drive it around the block.

You will park under a tree only once where birds are known to perch. It will only take you one time to park under the trees in a parking lot notorious for attracting flocks of pooping birds to learn this lesson the hard way. If the bird poop remains for more than an hour on that soft black finish the paint becomes acid etched for sure, which will add nicely to all those swirls and scratches.

Black cars aren’t just hot, they are HOT. Getting into a black car on an average summer day is like getting inside a Weber barbecue with the coals at a perfect red glow. If you like to wear shorts, get used to the smell of bacon frying. It takes longer for the A/C to put out the fire.

Other than that - enjoy your black car!

Last edited by bclexus; 08-20-22 at 09:56 AM. Reason: grammar
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
LexusGSboy (08-21-22), tomex77 (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 11:29 AM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

"Nice caked on break dust!"
AJLex19 (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 04:46 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

The only compliments I've ever gotten on my GS is after someone has ridden in it.
Old 08-20-22, 05:54 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 525 Likes on 358 Posts

All the time.
AJLex19 (08-21-22)

Quick Reply: Compliments on your 4GS