GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How long was your honeymoon with the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 02:33 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm thinking of parting ways with the GS many times but unable to pull the trigger on it. I feel it's so special of a vehicle esp the F Sport model with great handling, power, reliability, comfort and excellent suspension.

This is my 2nd GS. I had an used 2016 GS 350 non-F Sport for a short period and I didn't like the body roll at all and that vehicle had some funny history like painted front bumpers, fenders (probably was in accident before I guess now).

I like how the 2020 GS350 F Sport but worry about the scheduled and unscheduled surprise maintenance cost when the vehicle gets older. My wife asked a number of times to sell it for a SUV with more versatility and lower cost like a RAV4 XSE hybrid but I couldn't decide. It will be a side ways in move in price if I sold today and I won't save anything also.

We already have a RX and it's great except some body roll but my wife drives that. The RX F Sport is great except the seats boosters are too aggressive for our needs.

Last edited by websurfer; 08-22-22 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 04:15 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
My wife asked a number of times to sell it for a SUV with more versatility and lower cost like a RAV4 XSE hybrid but I couldn't decide. It will be a side ways in move in price if I sold today and I won't save anything also.
Rav4 even in its top trim is cheaply made, you can tell it’s made to the nearest cent and dollar. I drove the top hybrid trim and couldn’t wait to get out of one. Apart from the amazing fuel economy it’s a bit overhyped but absolutely the right car for the majority of the population.

Have you tried the ES, RX or GS hybrids? It lowers the running cost if you drive often.

Old 08-22-22, 04:31 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by 703
Rav4 even in its top trim is cheaply made, you can tell it’s made to the nearest cent and dollar. I drove the top hybrid trim and couldn’t wait to get out of one. Apart from the amazing fuel economy it’s a bit overhyped but absolutely the right car for the majority of the population.

Have you tried the ES, RX or GS hybrids? It lowers the running cost if you drive often.
I didn't like the hybrid Rav4 interior given it's a conventional vehicle and nothing is special given the tech and gas savings are the only plus besides the extra storage.

We had a ES at one time but didn't think it was as special as the GS. I'll be driving often given we have to drive for a long commute nowadays. I was hoping the RZ had a longer range but that didn't come out that way.

GS interior still gives me the wow at times tho.
Old 08-22-22, 05:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I actually really like the RAV4 hybrid and its interior. Lots and lots of features, roomy enough, great ride and handling, and fabulous fuel mileage. I could easily own one as a daily.
Old 08-22-22, 07:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I actually really like the RAV4 hybrid and its interior. Lots and lots of features, roomy enough, great ride and handling, and fabulous fuel mileage. I could easily own one as a daily.
@JDR76 - I think @Im2bz2p345 really likes the RAV4 Hybrid too. He may be thinking about getting one.

I saw a video about the RAV4 Hybrid and it was impressive for what it is meant to be.

I'll tell ya - I am loving' my GS 450h. It continues to impress me every time i drive it.
If someone told me that NASA helped design the GS 450h's drivetrain - I'd believe it.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-22-22 at 07:24 PM. Reason: grammar
The following 3 users liked this post by bclexus:
Adicar (08-30-22), JDR76 (08-23-22), websurfer (08-23-22)
Old 08-22-22, 07:46 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by JDR76
My wife really likes the XSE exterior and the tech. I test drove the hybrid a number of times and like the sports suspension. Power was adequate but not like a sports car. The interior doors have some hard plastics and other areas which I thought was cheap. Super impressive with infotainment features. I would be saving around $200 per every 6 months on insurance. Probably can get 40 mpg compared to 21-22 mpg on the GS. Would be curious on the thoughts.

Last edited by websurfer; 08-22-22 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-23-22, 12:29 AM
pd7702
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm still in the honeymoon period because I still wash the car every week. The GS is easily the best car I've ever owned and it's really cheap to maintain even at 108k miles.

Plus with this car market as insane as it is, there's not much in terms of a feasible replacement.
Old 08-23-22, 07:51 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I love the way this car drives, but the honeymoon ended the first time I heard the roof creak/pop over uneven pavement, which was about 2 weeks after purchase. It is much more noticeable below 75 degrees (half the year here), so there is some kind of thermal expansion issue, but it's very faint and driving me insane. I've taken my headliner down on both sides and checked the 4 silver bolts for my sunroof, they were all tight. I've replaced the sunroof seal, no dice. The dealership replaced the entire sunroof glass, no dice.

I love this car, but my wife has started referring to this creak as my white whale. It wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't also occasionally drive her Subaru Legacy, which is like a bank vault in comparison.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (08-23-22)
Old 08-23-22, 08:01 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

@panyo64 HAHAHA

The creak/pop/rattle bothers me too, I've yet to attempt to fix it. It's pretty untolerable, but closing the inside shade/cover minimizes 80% of the noise.

For awhile after I first got the car I actually couldn't diagnose the sound and thought that I had blown struts, lol.

Old 08-23-22, 08:17 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Hmm.. so u guys GS are having noises too then. "D
Old 08-23-22, 08:35 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yeah, dealer keeps telling me "unable to replicate" so they aren't going to do anything about it.
Old 08-23-22, 09:34 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Maybe my creaking sound is from my sunroof too and this could be why dealer can't find anything wrong underneath the car, they're looking in the wrong place. Let me take a look when I get my car back.
Old 08-23-22, 09:42 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Maybe my creaking sound is from my sunroof too and this could be why dealer can't find anything wrong underneath the car, they're looking in the wrong place. Let me take a look when I get my car back.
Yeah, I’m willing to bet it’s the sunroof lol
Old 08-23-22, 10:40 AM
websurfer
Racer

I have no noise on my GS. Solid but I get occasional wind noises even it's a little windy outside. Totally weird.
Old 08-23-22, 12:23 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pd7702
I'm still in the honeymoon period because I still wash the car every week. The GS is easily the best car I've ever owned and it's really cheap to maintain even at 108k miles.

Plus with this car market as insane as it is, there's not much in terms of a feasible replacement.
I know. No Lexus products I'd want outside the LS which is not a viable option for me unless it's very old.

Genesis? Some of those seem like they're pretty nice.

Quick Reply: How long was your honeymoon with the GS?