GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How long was your honeymoon with the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-22, 02:07 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Default How long was your honeymoon with the GS?

I've had mine for about 8 months. I honestly can't believe how much I like it/think about it/look at it/enjoy taking care of it. I've never given a crap about cars in the past and have gone more than a year without washing some cars I've owned. Something about this car just floats my boat. I love the way it zooms down the road. It's so low key even in sport +, just effortless smooth power and the handling is still surprising to me. There's something about the car that just makes it a perfect match for me.

I'm driving about twice the miles I "need" to because I'm always driving it around extra miles just because I enjoy so much being behind the wheel. It's embarrassing to admit for some reason, but I'm kind of obsessed with it. I wash it every week, I look at online forums and youtube videos about it, I look for little weird accessories to personalize it. Most surprisingly, I have even gained interest in working on it myself (no desire whatsoever for that before), and even though I am not mechanically gifted, I look forward to fumbling my way through oil changes and brake maintenances soon. I even take pictures of the car, which is so unlike me.

Did you guys through this phase? Maybe it's just me because I've always driven sort of crappy cars before this one ('90 Corolla/'94 Saturn/'03 Accord/'12 Volvo S60) so it stands out. I'm sure at some point it'll be mundane to drive the car and I'll start thinking about driving something else. Hard to imagine right now though.
The following 4 users liked this post by gs350noob:
greys0uled (08-21-22), PhilC13 (08-21-22), signdetres (08-20-22), Xmanniac24 (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 03:06 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

I think you are obsessed 😀.

Sometimes you gotta take a step back, it’s just a car and has a limited shelf life as it’s not destined to be a classic like Supras or 2000GTs.

However, working on your own car is great, as you are always learning new things - keeping your mind sharp and no need to depend on a mechanic for the simple stuff.
Old 08-20-22, 04:23 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

Obsessed, nah. You've just caught "the bug". Better to love your car than hate it.

I wish you many years of blissful GS ownership. You are on the right road.
The following 3 users liked this post by 93SCMax:
greys0uled (08-21-22), gs350noob (08-20-22), Xmanniac24 (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 08:22 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Almost 4 years in and I still really like this car, feels just like the day I picked it up. Other cars wore off after 2 weeks or so but not this GS. It's really hard to let go and get something else. I miss my GS.

The car that really came close to the GS is the RX350 awd FSport. Yeah it's weird but this car has the GS DNA in it and feels way better to drive than the ES and has all the latest tech we need. This is how the ES should be if Lexus wanted it to replace the GS.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 08-20-22 at 08:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 09:30 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Almost 4 years in and I still really like this car, feels just like the day I picked it up. Other cars wore off after 2 weeks or so but not this GS. It's really hard to let go and get something else. I miss my GS.

The car that really came close to the GS is the RX350 awd FSport. Yeah it's weird but this car has the GS DNA in it and feels way better to drive than the ES and has all the latest tech we need. This is how the ES should be if Lexus wanted it to replace the GS.
Yeah interesting about the RX. I really don't like the looks of any SUV's but the RX's are solid and they are everywhere which must mean something. Another good thing about our car is that it's pretty rare - I always think I see a 4th gen GS from distance but it ends up being another IS or ES.
Old 08-20-22, 01:42 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Yeah interesting about the RX. I really don't like the looks of any SUV's but the RX's are solid and they are everywhere which must mean something. Another good thing about our car is that it's pretty rare - I always think I see a 4th gen GS from distance but it ends up being another IS or ES.
Yeah that's the part I don't like about the RX, everyone and their grandmothers have it. Unlike the GS, nobody has it!!

But I was really surprised at how the RX FSport drives and handles. Yes, power is lacking, especially in the low end due to less power than GS and 700 lbs extra fat but it feels solid at high speed and mountain roads. AWD and AVS helps a lot here, this thing doesn't struggle for grip or float like my ES does. I don't know about the non FSport RX though, probably not this good.

Can't wait to for the new RX 500 with the hybrid powertrain and turbo combo. At 400 lb/ft of torque, that thing should get off the line quicker than the old one with only 268 lb/ft and probably the GS too.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 08-20-22 at 01:48 PM.
bclexus (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 03:27 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I passed a dozen RX's getting pizza tonight and I own one too. It's incredibly boring to drive but so damned reliable. The GS is much more engaging to drive and 10 times more enjoyable.
Old 08-20-22, 04:06 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

I don't have honeymoons with cars. I grew up in a family dealership and was coming home with Dad at 5 years old with grease under my nails. They all have problems. When I was 15, I did the prep service, getting them ready for the showroom. I now buy a car knowing it isn't perfect and it is the best I can do so I deal with anything that pops up, usually without intervention from a real professional.
Mangsailor (08-20-22)
Old 08-20-22, 05:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yeah that's the part I don't like about the RX, everyone and their grandmothers have it. Unlike the GS, nobody has it!!

But I was really surprised at how the RX FSport drives and handles. Yes, power is lacking, especially in the low end due to less power than GS and 700 lbs extra fat but it feels solid at high speed and mountain roads. AWD and AVS helps a lot here, this thing doesn't struggle for grip or float like my ES does. I don't know about the non FSport RX though, probably not this good.

Can't wait to for the new RX 500 with the hybrid powertrain and turbo combo. At 400 lb/ft of torque, that thing should get off the line quicker than the old one with only 268 lb/ft and probably the GS too.
@ItzFilyO - I think we all should be thinking about our future vehicles being EV. All the supercars are going pure EV now. Even the Dodge Hellcat is turning electric and will be much faster than the Hellcat with ICE.
Old 08-20-22, 06:42 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,151 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
I've had mine for about 8 months. I honestly can't believe how much I like it/think about it/look at it/enjoy taking care of it. I've never given a crap about cars in the past and have gone more than a year without washing some cars I've owned. Something about this car just floats my boat. I love the way it zooms down the road. It's so low key even in sport +, just effortless smooth power and the handling is still surprising to me. There's something about the car that just makes it a perfect match for me.

I'm driving about twice the miles I "need" to because I'm always driving it around extra miles just because I enjoy so much being behind the wheel. It's embarrassing to admit for some reason, but I'm kind of obsessed with it. I wash it every week, I look at online forums and youtube videos about it, I look for little weird accessories to personalize it. Most surprisingly, I have even gained interest in working on it myself (no desire whatsoever for that before), and even though I am not mechanically gifted, I look forward to fumbling my way through oil changes and brake maintenances soon. I even take pictures of the car, which is so unlike me.

Did you guys through this phase? Maybe it's just me because I've always driven sort of crappy cars before this one ('90 Corolla/'94 Saturn/'03 Accord/'12 Volvo S60) so it stands out. I'm sure at some point it'll be mundane to drive the car and I'll start thinking about driving something else. Hard to imagine right now though.
It lasted a couple years for me - I usually gauge the "honeymoon" period on my cars with the money spent on extras. I spent money on little add-ons in the first few years of ownership...painted calipers, LED bulbs, aftermarket grille, illuminated sills, etc. I wanted to upgrade the wheels as well - always liked the pre-refresh 19" F Sport Full Face Forged optional wheel but never pulled the trigger...

I did love with the way the Vossen CV7's looked on the GS (if i didn't live in pothole ridden NYC, i would have bought them during the honeymoon period!):

Even if I was getting into something else as the honeymoon period is certainly over, I think i'd still keep my GS.
Old 08-21-22, 04:50 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

I love this car, but after 9 months of ownership it's a bit over.

Still like looking at it and doing WOT pulls on the highway though.

I've been looking at what's next for me recently. I really want better tech and better MPG; ready to go hybrid or EV.
The 530e has caught my attention but haven't test driven one yet.
Old 08-22-22, 02:26 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by greys0uled
I love this car, but after 9 months of ownership it's a bit over.

Still like looking at it and doing WOT pulls on the highway though.

I've been looking at what's next for me recently. I really want better tech and better MPG; ready to go hybrid or EV.
The 530e has caught my attention but haven't test driven one yet.
Wow 9 months is short. With the exception of my Volvo (only had it 4 years because it got totaled). Hope I don't get tired of this car too fast I don't think I will.
Old 08-22-22, 03:09 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

If you think the GS is somewhat rare, try owning a GS 450h. I have never seen another one on the road here in Orlando FL. Now I sound like a broken record, but I only drive the car twice per week unless I go on a minor trip to visit someone. It’s good for gas, but I almost feel like I have a nice boat that just sits around. Haven’t washed it since early July as well, but it still looks pretty good with just some rain spots on it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hues10:
AJLex19 (08-22-22), bclexus (08-22-22), gs350noob (08-22-22)
Old 08-22-22, 07:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've basically had the same car for the past 7 years. In my entire car buying history, that has never happened before. I am usually tired of a car by year two or three, so I lease and change it up often. My 2015 GS was a lease, and the first car I've ever had that I was not ready to part with at the end of the lease. The lease buyout terms were terrible, so I just went out and purchased (not leased) another GS.

Lately I've been thinking about selling it, but not because I don't love it. I absolutely do. I just don't use it enough to justify it, though my wife wants me to hang on to it for a while longer before deciding.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
bclexus (08-22-22), greys0uled (08-22-22)
Old 08-22-22, 08:15 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

@JDR76 Replace the GS with something exciting
JDR76 (08-22-22)

Quick Reply: How long was your honeymoon with the GS?