GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Buying my first Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 01:05 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mylehigh1
I'm surprised no one asked you how many miles you plan on putting on the car. If I was putting 20K miles annually on the car, I'd have to go with the low mileage choice.
Your reasoning? Why does that matter?
Old 08-22-22, 02:14 PM
mylehigh1
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you drive a lot you'd have to replace a high mileage car that much sooner.

You're not going to be willing to invest in cosmetic freshening or expensive repairs once the car is north of 200K miles. We like to talk about how these cars will get to 200K, but your high mileage choice is almost there already. If you drive only 12K miles per year, you'll be at 220K miles in less than 3 years, and you'll be tired of looking at the exterior flaws.

On the other hand, if you plan on swapping the car out for something else in less than 3 years, save your money and take the high mileage car.
Old 08-22-22, 02:32 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

If you drive a lot you'd have to replace a high mileage car that much sooner.
Why? And how? These cars don't necessarily die. People drive cars until they die. Replacing sooner would be ok, because once again, he saved 15k lol
You're not going to be willing to invest in cosmetic freshening or expensive repairs once the car is north of 200K miles. We like to talk about how these cars will get to 200K, but your high mileage choice is almost there already. If you drive only 12K miles per year, you'll be at 220K miles in less than 3 years, and you'll be tired of looking at the exterior flaws.
I don't think the GS he's looking at has any exterior flaws, but if it does have some minor ones, why couldn't he invest say $1K in cosmetic refreshening later down the line. The car was 15K cheaper than the other one mentioned. At the end of the day, he still saved money.

I know I'm playing devils advocate here I just don't understand why people are "afraid" of high mileage Toyota products.
These are not, and have never been disposable cars.

Last edited by greys0uled; 08-22-22 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 02:50 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 7birdies
I’m currently at the point that I need to buy a car. I know car prices are extremely high but I don’t have time to wait any longer. This brings me to my post. I’m currently looking at these 2 models.

2014 lexus GS 350 185k miles and 2 owners. Maintained in the west coast and all scheduled services were done at the Lexus dealership every 5k miles. Asking price is $14k, new brakes and tires.

2015 Lexus GS 350 f sport 68k miles, 1 owner. Maintained in Az. All services were done every 5k miles by vavoline. Asking $29k with new tires.

both cars look pretty good, no issues with paint and rims. My first choice is to buy the car with 185k miles because of the price and we’ll maintained.

which one in your experience?
Personally, I like the firmer suspension and go with the 2015 Lexus GS 350 F Sport. If you want a softer ride, go with the 2014 GS 350 one. Did you pull the maintenance records thru drivers.lexus.com on each VIN#?

I pulled it for a few in our local dealership and found some very surprising repairs on a few of them.
Old 08-22-22, 07:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
People drive cars until they die. These have never been disposable cars.
Most people do not drive cars until they die. The average ownership is 8 years. The average yearly mileage is 13,500 miles, which in 8 year's time equals 100k miles. Some people will then buy these pre-owned cars and drive them for yet another 100k miles before they dispose of them.

If (big 'if') I was going to buy a vehicle that already had 100k miles logged, it would definitely be either a Toyota or Lexus.
Old 08-23-22, 08:33 AM
7birdies
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to drive the car until the wheels fall off. My job entails a lot of driving or should I say my car is some times my office. I liked the idea of spending $14k vs $30k on a car that I will drive up the miles pretty high over the next few years. Also, both cars look really clean on the outside and inside so I assumed the previous owners loved their car and took care of it. I am going to do a PPI to make sure I get another opinion. But In the end I will drive this until it cost to much to spend on it and maybe by that time I will take the $15k I saved and buy another car when the car market has settled back down to earth.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (08-23-22)
Old 08-23-22, 09:41 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

My GS has been in the shop for over a week now and I've toyed with the idea of finding a replacement but I'm really having a hard time finding another car that can replace it. The GS is so good!!! Even stuff from the MB and BMW don't really interests me right now. Their new design is just meh and the old ones looked better. Plus they want more $$$ for options that my GS has standard.

Do u guys know that Lexus is removing the FSport badges from the trunk on every new cars now? Except the current RX. Even the RC FSport lost its rear wing now which used to be standard like our GS FSport wing. It looks like Lexus is cost cutting left and right. Or maybe there's a badge shortage too?!

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 08-23-22 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-23-22, 09:46 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
My GS has been in the shop for over a week now and I've toyed with the idea of finding a replacement but I'm really having a hard time finding another car that can replace it. Even stuff from the MB and BMW don't really interests me right now. Their new design is just meh and the old ones looked better. Plus they want more $$$ for options that my GS has standard.
The current 5 series is really the only option for replacing my GS. What are your thoughts on it?

I haven’t test driven one yet but I plan to soon. At first I thought I would go for the 540i, but leaning towards the 530e now. Really excited at the thought of going to a PHEV/EV and it has about a 20 mile range on battery. Gonna save a lot of $$$ on gas.
Old 08-23-22, 09:48 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by greys0uled
The current 5 series is really the only option for replacing my GS. What are your thoughts on it?

I haven’t test driven one yet but I plan to soon. At first I thought I would go for the 540i, but leaning towards the 530e now. Really excited at the thought of going to a PHEV/EV and it has about a 20 mile range on battery. Gonna save a lot of $$$ on gas.
They're going to sell u a "Subscription" just to open the charging cap soon.

540i or M550 would be nice.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 08-23-22 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-23-22, 09:57 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

They're going to sell u a "Subscription" just to open the charging cap soon.
Lol. Didn’t Toyota/Lexus start charging subscription for remote start? We gotta hold all manufacturers accountable
Old 08-23-22, 10:00 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

540i or M550 would be nice.
I like the 540i, B58 is a great engine.

Can’t say the same about the M550i, the N63/S63 is a reliability nightmare. I personally wouldn’t touch
Old 08-23-22, 10:02 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah they did.

I don't know why the 5 series interior looks cheap from the pictures. When u test drive one maybe u can compare it to the GS. Ours is solid, especially the back seat. BMW's is just flat with a small fold down armrest that looks cheap.
Old 08-23-22, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 7birdies
I plan to drive the car until the wheels fall off. My job entails a lot of driving or should I say my car is some times my office. I liked the idea of spending $14k vs $30k on a car that I will drive up the miles pretty high over the next few years. Also, both cars look really clean on the outside and inside so I assumed the previous owners loved their car and took care of it. I am going to do a PPI to make sure I get another opinion. But In the end I will drive this until it cost to much to spend on it and maybe by that time I will take the $15k I saved and buy another car when the car market has settled back down to earth.
If you end up racking up over 350K miles it doesn't really matter where you start , low mileage or high mileage.

If you invest your extra $15,000 now, by the time you need to replace your GS the profit you'd make would mean that your GS was basically free.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (08-23-22)
Old 08-23-22, 12:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by 909
If you end up racking up over 350K miles it doesn't really matter where you start , low mileage or high mileage.

If you invest your extra $15,000 now, by the time you need to replace your GS the profit you'd make would mean that your GS was basically free.
How much do you expect investing $15k to gain in a few years? And, investing it how?
Old 08-23-22, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Not in a few years. He's driving it to it's death.

If you take good care of a Lexus, I'd expect it to last at least another 8-10 years . Easily. All day. Some would dare say 15 years. Easily. Or more.

Look at it this way. If I gave you a dollar, and told you to double it in 10 years. It wouldn't be too hard. Right.

Last edited by 909; 08-23-22 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying my first Lexus GS