GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Turning the front ventilated seats into Cooled Seats.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I think all those home made hacks are dope AF .

Let's remind ourselves that no one will ever see the underside of our seats

And that rear passengers don't need AC on their feet . But I need AC on my seats.
Old 09-06-22, 02:36 PM
douplas
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have plenty of old license plates I could bend up hmmmmm
Old 09-06-22, 02:56 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm not sure the mod will accomplish what many think it will...
So, are you going to try for yourself then?
Old 09-06-22, 05:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
So, are you going to try for yourself then?
No, I'm not interested in trying it...
Old 09-06-22, 06:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

There is something else most don't know. Under the Seat for the Cooling ventilation there is kind of like a filter or something. Sometimes over the years that becomes blocked and trapped with dirt, dust lint and other, reducing the air flow quite a bit. The other know problem is the the vent hose collapses over the years dramatically reducing the air pressure flow. There was another DYI and a Lexus Service bulletin about how to insert a piece into the vent to keep from collapsing. This made the airflow increase. I would bet that 90% or better of GS Owners seat and other Lexus owners have air flow blockages reducing the air flow quite a bit.
Old 09-06-22, 06:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
Agree about reduced air flow by needing to use both dash and floor vents with this mod.

You cut that a/c to both and it's don't feel so good at 1/2 flow from the dash vents in the Hot summer heat.
Old 09-06-22, 06:48 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
There is something else most don't know. Under the Seat for the Cooling ventilation there is kind of like a filter or something. Sometimes over the years that becomes blocked and trapped with dirt, dust lint and other, reducing the air flow quite a bit. The other know problem is the the vent hose collapses over the years dramatically reducing the air pressure flow. There was another DYI and a Lexus Service bulletin about how to insert a piece into the vent to keep from collapsing. This made the airflow increase. I would bet that 90% or better of GS Owners seat and other Lexus owners have air flow blockages reducing the air flow quite a bit.
Do you have any info/directions/pictures of how to clean the filter or where this potentially collapsed vent could be?
Old 09-06-22, 06:55 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
I would bet that 90% or better of GS Owners seat and other Lexus owners have air flow blockages reducing the air flow quite a bit.
My '14 does not have filters under either seat for either "butt" fan.

I know this because I wanted to check the RPM using slow-motion via my phone, and I also wanted to prove they blow rather than suck. That's another odd misconception i've found on the forums and youtube.

That's data for another project down the road though. Seeing as how the motors are PWM the options are slim, but there may be some for swapping the motor. If I ever get a hair to do it I'll take one apart and see what options we may have with swapping them out.

You can get no-name brand ventilated seat inlays for your car that blow more air to your seat and back via one fan than what the lexus fan is able to produce for just your rear. I'm not convinced Lexus really lets these fans full speed anyways, i think they cut the speed to reduce noise. Someone handy with an oscilloscope, or high dollar fluke, could map the pulse width signal and verify this in parallel later.

In the interim, buying a little gadget to give me some cool, low-humidity air into the fan inlet rather than a mix of whatever is in the cabin would be better than nothing really. I may tape up a box this weekend and use some thermocouples to see if there's much difference before and after.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (09-06-22)
Old 09-06-22, 07:21 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I like that this guy is testing and tweaking the design.

The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Im2bz2p345 (09-06-22), ItsPhilD (07-23-23)
Old 09-06-22, 07:29 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I like that this guy is testing and tweaking the design.
I'll bet a large inner tube zip-tied on some adapters would help the seat position issue. It's just getting your hands in there to do that would be an issue.
Old 09-06-22, 08:24 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Here's a TSB on the ES there is one on the GS also. There are a kind of Filter/Screen and also, and as the seats get older and collapse they start to restrict the flow of air.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-seats-tsb.pdf

Last edited by jgscott; 09-06-22 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-20-23, 09:55 AM
oraine16
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha this is surprising. That was my post on facebook, I got sidetracked working on project lexus I had for a bit along with some other GS mods but I'll definitely will continue working on the vents
Old 01-20-23, 10:17 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by oraine16
hahaha this is surprising. That was my post on facebook, I got sidetracked working on project lexus I had for a bit along with some other GS mods but I'll definitely will continue working on the vents
I would buy
Old 01-20-23, 10:46 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

FYI,

I'm already in discussion with "Holdmybeerengineering" on Etsy (the guy that makes those vents) for GS-specific vent diverters which should work better than just shoving the RC one in the hole.

I've already given him measurements and pictures. We'll see how it goes. The duct needs to be an S-shape.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mangsailor:
bloodbean (01-20-23), Im2bz2p345 (01-20-23)
Old 01-20-23, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Why an S shape? Is it because the intake for the seat is further up closer to the front.

I've removed the floor vent from a junker and its fairly straightforward , could we not just cut a hole where we need it and plug the end.

Quick Reply: Turning the front ventilated seats into Cooled Seats.