GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Turning the front ventilated seats into Cooled Seats.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 08:50 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Waiting for your impressions and feedbacks
Old 08-15-23, 08:53 PM
shadowx055
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fourgs
Waiting for your impressions and feedbacks
For me, I felt like it’s a little cooler but I was wearing jeans. While my passenger was wearing shorts said she really felt the coolness.
Old 08-28-23, 06:31 PM
AJ3GS
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

On the auto setting for the ac, will the cool air go through the floor vents at all? Or do you have to switch the airflow manually to the foot vents? I don't really want to turn off the auto setting as it automatically adjusts the fan speed.
Old 08-28-23, 07:26 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ3GS
On the auto setting for the ac, will the cool air go through the floor vents at all? Or do you have to switch the airflow manually to the foot vents? I don't really want to turn off the auto setting as it automatically adjusts the fan speed.
It will. A lot of times in my car it will shift it to just the floor once the cabin temp reaches setpoint. What I've noticed though is the lower the temp is set in the cabin, the more often/longer it will blow in the main vents vs mixing between the floor and face vents.

Personally, when I get in the car and it's hot I shift the recirc/fresh to auto (two clicks), then shift the vents to defrost/floor (Two clicks) and leave it there for about 2-5min of driving too cool the windshield and the roof down. Then I shift the vents to face/floor (two clicks of the button), all with the fan speed one tick above medium. The fan speed will automatically adjust sometimes when the vents are on defrost/floor and you change the temp setpoint drastically. I haven't tried to track it fully, but it may be in the manual somewhere.

I don't even mess with the fan unless I'm trying to quickly defog the windshield in the morning or I forgot to put my sunshade up during the day while I parked.

To again answer your question though, it will, eventually. i would try putting your temp setpoint on somewhere between 68-74 and see how it responds once the cabin cools off. It should try it's damn-est to cool the cabin with the face vents but it should shift to the floor eventually.
Old 08-28-23, 07:33 PM
AJ3GS
Pit Crew

@Mangsailor Okay thank you for the detailed response. I was driving in the Cali 100 degree weather and the temp was set to 65 and the car was still cooling down. That's probably why the cool air wasn't going to the floor vents yet.
Old 08-28-23, 07:43 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

@Mangsailor Okay thank you for the detailed response. I was driving in the Cali 100 degree weather and the temp was set to 65 and the car was still cooling down. That's probably why the cool air wasn't going to the floor vents yet.
It definitely can take a while for the automatic system to be satisfied with the cabin temp if it's only blowing with the face vents.

I operate mine manually mostly. Gets me more comfortable quicker most of the time. If it's stupid-cold out though I'll put it in auto as it seems to speed up defogging easier (and seems to be the only way I can get the electric heater to kick on since I have the cold weather package).

Try turning up the temp to 70-74 halfway through your drive and see how the system responds.
Old 08-28-23, 11:45 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

I think the GS air conditioning was really a generation behind in it's time. My 2008 Commodore would go into semi auto mode so you can change one mode without putting the whole thing into manual
Old 09-05-23, 04:17 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

I don't really want to turn off the auto setting as it automatically adjusts the fan speed.
So, I forgot to mention something to you about this.

You can have automatic fan speed, even if your HVAC is in "manual" with the vent control, and recirc/fresh not in auto, if you simply put the whole HVAC in Auto and then manually change the airflow position. Then, the fan will still automatically adjust its speed to try to reach the temp setpoint you have set.

If you push the fan speed adjustment buttons at anytime after you will stop this feature and the fan will need to be manually adjusted as needed by the passengers
Old 09-05-23, 06:43 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
I think the GS air conditioning was really a generation behind in it's time. My 2008 Commodore would go into semi auto mode so you can change one mode without putting the whole thing into manual
Mangsailor beat me to it. All Lexuses have operated this way since inception. My 92 SC400 allowed you to take individual control of functions while the climate control continued to work in "Auto" around your selection to reach the commanded cabin temperature.

I had 2 VZ Monaros (Pontiac GTO), but we never got automatic climate control in the US. I guess the bean counters didn't want the cost of converting the VZ climate stack to English units and reversing the controls. Instead we got the LS2.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 09-05-23 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-05-23, 11:21 AM
AJ3GS
Pit Crew

Wait so to clarify if my ac and recirc are on auto, then I manually change the airflow of the vents to driver/floor, it will still adjust the fan speed automatically?
Old 09-05-23, 11:22 AM
AJ3GS
Pit Crew

even though the auto light turns off?
Old 09-05-23, 01:11 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Wait so to clarify if my ac and recirc are on auto, then I manually change the airflow of the vents to driver/floor, it will still adjust the fan speed automatically?
Yup, exactly
The following users liked this post:
AJ3GS (09-05-23)
Old 09-05-23, 02:27 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 298 Likes on 108 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of the fan unit under the seat? I am currently experimenting with adapting a TED/peltier cooler from another car to fit onto my GSF but I am not sure if the fan unit is the same on the regular GS. I've got the unit mounted to my seat however I haven't figured out the wiring/control system yet. The goal is to make a bolt on kit that I can sell to Lexus owners that want to upgrade to cooled seats. I think the ventilation on the seats actually isn't that terrible it just doesn't feel like its doing anything when blowing hot air.
Old 09-05-23, 03:30 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cyfi66
Does anyone have a picture of the fan unit under the seat? I am currently experimenting with adapting a TED/peltier cooler from another car to fit onto my GSF but I am not sure if the fan unit is the same on the regular GS. I've got the unit mounted to my seat however I haven't figured out the wiring/control system yet. The goal is to make a bolt on kit that I can sell to Lexus owners that want to upgrade to cooled seats. I think the ventilation on the seats actually isn't that terrible it just doesn't feel like its doing anything when blowing hot air.
So, the thing about the Lexus seat fan is the motor/volute is one custom-fit unit. eBay has good pictures of the fan unit, and there's not a lot on the shelf in China and all that can be used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204126940801

I had the same thought, to get a fan and then have a guy 3D print an adapter to plug it in.

I had a seat liner from Amazon from "Snailax" that would damn-near levitate you from the seat. The Lexus Mickey mouse fan isn't even close.

Further, the Lexus fan is controlled with PWM, so you just need a 3-wire fan for it (pretty sure it's 3-wire PWM, if not I'll correct this post later)

Last edited by Mangsailor; 09-05-23 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-05-23, 03:41 PM
AJ3GS
Pit Crew

So the interesting thing I found with my 07 gs350 is although the shroud adapter fits on the floor vent cover, the location of the seat fan on both seats is directly in the middle, rather than offset to the side on the 4th gen. For now, I put the passenger side shroud on the driver side and the driver side on the passenger. My question is, if I put the driver's side shroud on the driver's side seat, since the shroud will be outputting air to the left of the fan, will that air still make it to the fan? I'm not an expert on airflow so if anyone knows can you let me know

Quick Reply: Turning the front ventilated seats into Cooled Seats.