GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Puddle light option on mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 09:13 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 909
Nice ride. Our cars look identical . I'll buy your old passenger side mirror with the broken light for parts if you get free replacements
I'm about 99% sure the bulbs are just blown, so they should be fully functional besides not dimming with the rearview mirror (and per Lexus driver's build sheet for my car, the LUX package comes with this).

We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-09-22, 09:51 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Lux package come with Heated, Auto dim, Puddle lights light up.
Old 09-09-22, 10:19 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

I think all GS line has those standard right? I know my FSport does too.
Old 09-09-22, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
I'm about 99% sure the bulbs are just blown, so they should be fully functional besides not dimming with the rearview mirror (and per Lexus driver's build sheet for my car, the LUX package comes with this).

We'll see how it goes.
PM'd

Originally Posted by peasodos
So instead of changing a light bulb they are going to replace your mirror? That doesn't make any sense.

Here is the DIY to change the puddle light:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ispreloading=1
Are the motors identical on the drivers and passenger side mirrors. Are they interchangeable .
Old 09-11-22, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Bump .
Old 09-12-22, 02:57 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

No bump needed, they haven't called me about ordering the mirrors yet or setting up an appointment to install.

If they actually go through with it though, I'll permanently mark them so I'll know they're changed and not someone skimming (also I'm pretty sure I'll find out via my dashcam).

One note though, between 2 carmax techs, 3 Lexus service advisors/salesmen, and 3 lexus techs not a signal one figured maybe the bulb was bad. The carmax guys actually hooked up a diagnostic tool and were talking about signals they could see to turn on the lamps on the bottoms of the doors. All the lexus guys did were skim the menus, screw with my seat and mirror positions, and infotainment settings.

Again, that's about 1-2 man hours of messing for a problem like mentioned before that takes 20-30min to do, but with no result. I will let ya'll know what I know when I know.... ya know?
Old 10-19-22, 02:59 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

So the saga is over, here's the scoop

Yes, the puddle lights work. No they are not going to fix them.

So my neighbor tips me off yesterday saying they only replaced the mirror glass. He told the other tech "uh, I'm pretty sure that's not the issue, you might want to check" and he blew him off.

Called them today, asked what's up with just replacing the glass and not the mirrors? They said the whole housings we're aftermarket, but they were replacing the glass. I said "OK, that makes no sense. So, in all this back and forth... did a tech even try replacing the bulb to see if that worked?" They said "We'll our techs know what they're doing but I'll ask." Sure, yeah, they're experts. Calls back and says "Nope, tech says they still don't work. Sorrryyyyy."

So I go to pick up the car, again I ask why only the glass was replaced if Lexus says the mirrors are aftermarket. They said "We'll your mirror glass didn't have the blind spot monitoring or the integrated heaters, so now you have that." I told them I use both every morning when I drive the car to clear the glass.... and nothing they're saying makes any sense. I further said "It sounds like Lexus fed you guys a load of BS and you spent $800 on glass for nothing? "

So she printed out the ticket from Lexus and started reading it. And basically told me "It says here that the previous owner did some aftermarket wiring and that's why they don't work, they were able to plug up a battery to the lamps and they turn on. It says something in here about a dash cam is installed and other wiring is tampered with."

I said "OK, so... who's looking for the break in the wiring to see why they don't work." Their response is that unless I uninstall the dash cam AND somehow "fix" this "aftermarket wiring" that they're not going to touch it as the car doesn't leave CarMax like that.

Damn. So I guess I'm doing it my damn self then. Time to get my TIS subscription again and start saving more of the manual and tear the door apart.
Old 07-23-23, 07:41 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Well, about a year after all of that above, I dedicated some time to actually troubleshoot this issue.

So I took the mirror apart and pulled up the repair manual. Found the yellow wire and black with a red stripe supplied power to the puddle light... the puddle light socket though has yellow and yellow with a black stripe (this is ground, and is tied into the ground for the turn signal bulb also). It lit with a 9v battery. Score.

In Techstream you can test that the door module will trigger the light. So I done it. It worked. Cool.

I finally found the mention for the puddle lights in the owner's manual. It stated the lights are able to be set to turn on or off via customization settings. OK, so then I hooked up the laptop again to check if it was turned on to light the lamps... and it was. So, I turned it off. Saved the setting. Turned it back on, and saved the setting again. Turned the car off, locked it, and unlocked it, and they worked.

So, somehow there is a bug that makes these dumb things stop working.

In the event someone asks, the light stalk does NOT need to be in the Auto position for them to light, and I keep the dome light switch in the door position.

Last edited by Mangsailor; 07-23-23 at 07:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mangsailor:
gaki (07-24-23), Misonasty (07-27-23), tompass (07-25-23)