GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Puddle light option on mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-22, 02:25 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Puddle light option on mirrors

So, I need some clarification. My car is a 2014, lux, AWD, cwp car. I brought it in a couple days ago to have the puddle lights fixed. The Lexus dealer it was taken to reports that the puddle lights were not an option on my car AND my mirrors are aftermarket.

My question is though, is there a year or package where the lamps were made to function? Was this a separate option? I would imagine the lights would be part of a mirror with heated glass, auto folding, and memory. I'm not sure if auto darkening is also in the mirror (my testing with a flashlight at night says "no."

Anyone have the scoop on this?

Last edited by Mangsailor; 09-09-22 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-08-22, 02:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Do you have a picture of your mirrors? Can you see puddle light lenses on the under side of them? As far as I know, they were standard on the GS.

Your lights should have auto dimming. Mine certainly do. Test them in the dark with a light on the interior rearview mirror, as that's where the light sensor is, I believe.
Old 09-08-22, 03:09 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

They look not oem to me.... Tokairika?

Last edited by Mangsailor; 09-08-22 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-08-22, 03:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Those sure look the same as my OEM ones. I wonder what led them to believe they are aftermarket.

Old 09-08-22, 03:52 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

I think if it says JAPAN, then it's all OEM. If it says China, then u have a problem.

Maybe the actual glass is aftermarket? That housing looks OEM to me.
Old 09-08-22, 04:00 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
They look not oem to me.... Tokairika?
That's OEM. The dealer is an idiot or purposely acting like an idiot to avoid touching the car again. Got look under any 2013+ Lexus side mirror they all have them.
Old 09-08-22, 04:10 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

CarMax says they are going to order me brand new mirrors for both sides... heated and etc.

So, I mean... I guess I'm not going to kick a gift horse in the mouth on it. I'm watching my dash cam footage now. I think they either noticed my dash cam wiring and started crawling under the hood, or they saw the sheathing was removed from two wires leading from the door jamb to the mirror. I think the latter.

I think a PO put a new driver's mirror on (I have a previous thread on this) and exposed the wiring in the process.

I can't believe they didn't just go "I bet the bulb is blown." and just check it...

Whatever. Watch em work after they swap the mirrors!
Old 09-08-22, 04:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,584 Posts

But why are the puddle lights not working? That's strange they don't work...

Both sides not working?
Old 09-08-22, 04:16 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

So instead of changing a light bulb they are going to replace your mirror? That doesn't make any sense.

Here is the DIY to change the puddle light:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ispreloading=1
Old 09-08-22, 04:17 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
But why are the puddle lights not working? That's strange they don't work...

Both sides not working?
Yup, both sides.

I'll watch the videos to see if I can hear what they did BUT I've seen some already and they're all them messing around with settings in the dash for customization.

$100 says the bulbs are blown. Talked to my neighbor that works there and was told I probably won't be able to keep the old mirrors. Service advisor said I can ask to keep them but unlikely.

I sure as hell will be asking, and likely pull NC law that I know requires a repair shop to return old parts on request. We'll see if I can trump it.

Edit: ain't gonna work, it has to cost >$350. If it's less than that on the invoice then I can't... and since the job is free I'm not sure it'll fly. We'll see though.

Last edited by Mangsailor; 09-08-22 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-08-22, 04:20 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, both sides.

I'll watch the videos to see if I can hear what they did BUT I've seen some already and they're all them messing around with settings in the dash for customization.

$100 says the bulbs are blown. Talked to my neighbor that works there and was told I probably won't be able to keep the old mirrors. Service advisor said I can ask to keep them but unlikely.

I sure as hell will be asking, and likely pull NC law that I know requires a repair shop to return old parts on request. We'll see if I can trump it.
Replacing the side mirrors requires removing the door panels. Replacing the puddle lights just requires removing the mirror/glass and 5-6 screws. Hopefully they do the job right and don't cause new problems.

Old 09-08-22, 04:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,584 Posts

CarMax says they are going to order me brand new mirrors for both sides... heated and etc.

I think a PO put a new driver's mirror on (I have a previous thread on this) and exposed the wiring in the process.
The Lexus dealer probably saw where the previous owner ( or body shop) has done some jury-rigging on the mirror wiring and didn't want the possible hassle or responsibility to try and fix it.

With what you have described about the car being in a wreck you'll probably find some other things that will need fixing, like sensors, the windshield trim or adhesive, etc.
Old 09-08-22, 04:32 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Lexus dealer probably saw where the previous owner ( or body shop) has done some jury-rigging on the mirror wiring and didn't want the possible hassle or responsibility to try and fix it.

With what you have described about the car being in a wreck you'll probably find some other things that will need fixing, like sensors, the windshield trim or adhesive, etc.
Honestly looking at the paint and the Carfax I think the side got scuffed up by someone's bumper in a parking lot, not so much a "wreck" per se. The mirror was probably part of that instance too (which was inop at some point as far as folding).

But yeah. Free mirrors are coming.

The roof trim, that's actually just a part that's retained by some weatherstrip like q-lon does. When I got it today it was buckled in another spot. So all I did was push the remainder to the rear of the car and it flattened out. It was pretty simple. There's a dainty clip in the front though you have to take care with.
Old 09-08-22, 04:34 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
Replacing the side mirrors requires removing the door panels. Replacing the puddle lights just requires removing the mirror/glass and 5-6 screws. Hopefully they do the job right and don't cause new problems.
They already fixed my door lock issue and needed to pull the panel. So, I guess they have to do two now. Again, Lexus is just down the road if they gotta send it there.

Not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill on this car. Just getting my money's worth.

Last edited by Mangsailor; 09-08-22 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-09-22, 08:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Nice ride. Our cars look identical . I'll buy your old passenger side mirror with the broken light for parts if you get free replacements

Quick Reply: Puddle light option on mirrors