GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Usb thumb Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 04:44 PM
Ham
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Usb thumb Drive?

I have formatted a thumb drive to fat32 and added some mp3 files. But when i plug in the drive it says no audio files. What am I doing wrong. Thank you
Old 09-09-22, 07:27 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham
I have formatted a thumb drive to fat32 and added some mp3 files. But when i plug in the drive it says no audio files. What am I doing wrong. Thank you
Did you put them in the root? What bit rate did you use? Not that I know if it matters but I can try to see what mine are. I've got a 4GB thumb drive in mine and it works fine.
Old 09-09-22, 08:04 PM
Ham
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Did you put them in the root? What bit rate did you use? Not that I know if it matters but I can try to see what mine are. I've got a 4GB thumb drive in mine and it works fine.
I've tried putting them in a folder and ust dragging them to the drive I have tried 160 and 256 bit rate 44100hz If you could help with what you did i would be very thankful. I reads the drive it just says no music files found. I'm stumped.
Old 09-09-22, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Double check your format . Lexus does not like NTFS and exFAT which most sticks are formatted with when they leave the factory. Windows 10 doesn't format in fat32 as well. Try again on another computer.
Old 09-09-22, 09:22 PM
Ham
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 909
Double check your format . Lexus does not like NTFS and exFAT which most sticks are formatted with when they leave the factory. Windows 10 doesn't format in fat32 as well. Try again on another computer.
I hear you but windows 10 does give me the option to choose fat32, the default is fat32

Old 09-09-22, 09:47 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Just tried with my 128GB drive so it's only NTFS or exFAT and neither worked. Now this is a problem. Guess I'm stuck with BT or iPod then.
Old 09-09-22, 10:04 PM
Ham
Pit Crew

Angry

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Just tried with my 128GB drive so it's only NTFS or exFAT and neither worked. Now this is a problem. Guess I'm stuck with BT or iPod then.
Its crazy how they make it so hard to just put music on a drive and play it.
Old 09-10-22, 06:00 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

Even if the format is Fat32, Lexus (from what I read) has a limit on the USB stick size of 32gb. Fat32 also has a limit... of 32GB! Also it has a file size limit of 4gb. You can forcefully format something larger than 32gb into Fat32 (i've done it, you need Fat32Format , google it and use the download link on "Major geeks" for v1.01, there's also an x64 version that I picked up from somewhere in 2018 for popping larger than 32gb cards in my old Droid Razr Maxx HD, and it worked like a charm). The car will then take a while to catalog your music folders so you can navigate it later, even though it's larger than 32gb because.... dundundun! Some engineer told the guy that wrote the book on the car to put 32gb due to the normal limits of fat32, but as some of us know and have done you can force format any drive to the format.

Also, make sure you're using a bona-fide quality stick. There are many junk chips out there now, so be sure what you're plugging in is of good quality and not some amazon XUIBINGBONG brand.

Here's a thread on this also: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sb-device.html
Old 09-10-22, 09:33 AM
Ham
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
Even if the format is Fat32, Lexus (from what I read) has a limit on the USB stick size of 32gb. Fat32 also has a limit... of 32GB! Also it has a file size limit of 4gb. You can forcefully format something larger than 32gb into Fat32 (i've done it, you need Fat32Format , google it and use the download link on "Major geeks" for v1.01, there's also an x64 version that I picked up from somewhere in 2018 for popping larger than 32gb cards in my old Droid Razr Maxx HD, and it worked like a charm). The car will then take a while to catalog your music folders so you can navigate it later, even though it's larger than 32gb because.... dundundun! Some engineer told the guy that wrote the book on the car to put 32gb due to the normal limits of fat32, but as some of us know and have done you can force format any drive to the format.

Also, make sure you're using a bona-fide quality stick. There are many junk chips out there now, so be sure what you're plugging in is of good quality and not some amazon XUIBINGBONG brand.

Here's a thread on this also: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sb-device.html
I’ll try again but I have been try and try. I’m pretty aware of how fat32 works. I’ll try a small sized drive but I know for a fact others have used bigger than 32gb flash drives. I’ll see if I have a small drive. I doubt it and. I’ve been searching and I’m getting all different types of answers. So I don’t no what is correct I just try them all. I’m seem to read the drive, it just says no music files found.
Old 09-10-22, 10:41 AM
mjo13
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

How do you have your files/folders structured? There is a quirk with how Lexus reads the USB; if there are no actual files in a folder, it will ignore that folder and any sub-folders. Took me a while to figure this out and it was annoying because of how I initially had my music organized.

For a simple example, if your structure looks like this, it will ignore everything:
Music/
> Folder 1/
>> File1.mp3
>> File2.mp3
> Folder 2/
>> File3.mp3

Whereas this will be recognized:
Folder 1/
> File1.mp3
> File2.mp3
Folder 2/
> File3.mp3

Stated another way, any directories that do not have a playable music file directly within it (.file, .aac, etc) will be ignored.
Old 09-10-22, 11:07 AM
Ham
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mjo13
How do you have your files/folders structured? There is a quirk with how Lexus reads the USB; if there are no actual files in a folder, it will ignore that folder and any sub-folders. Took me a while to figure this out and it was annoying because of how I initially had my music organized.

For a simple example, if your structure looks like this, it will ignore everything:
Music/
> Folder 1/
>> File1.mp3
>> File2.mp3
> Folder 2/
>> File3.mp3

Whereas this will be recognized:
Folder 1/
> File1.mp3
> File2.mp3
Folder 2/
> File3.mp3

Stated another way, any directories that do not have a playable music file directly within it (.file, .aac, etc) will be ignored.
I’ll try that but what you posted both look the same
Old 09-10-22, 11:14 AM
mjo13
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham
I’ll try that but what you posted both look the same
The first example has a root level folder named "Music" whereas the second does not.
Old 09-10-22, 11:48 AM
Ham
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mjo13
The first example has a root level folder named "Music" whereas the second does not.
I see. So just make a folder an drag the files in it. I swear I did that. But I’ll try again. Does the folder have to be a certain name
Old 09-10-22, 03:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I got it to work. 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive with file browsing and all metadata, including album artworks are showing.

Wow this sounds much clearer and more high def compared to BT, which was muffled but not as bad as XM though. This really wakes up the ML system. I've been missing out all these years.

Old 09-10-22, 03:24 PM
Ham
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I got it to work. 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive with file browsing and all metadata, including album artworks are showing.

Wow this sounds much clearer and more high def compared to BT, which was muffled but not as bad as XM though. This really wakes up the ML system. I've been missing out all these years.

So what did you do. Can you take a screenshot of your thumb drive. Of what you did and how name it.

Quick Reply: Usb thumb Drive?