GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake Fluid Color

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-22 | 03:30 AM
BMGS
Racer

Default Brake Fluid Color

Is there any chance the below is 2 month old brake fluid? I had some suspension work done at a new shop and while I typically flush my own fluid, I figured I'd give them the business while the car was in the shop. A month ago I did brake pads and rotors and when I pulled some fluid out of the master cylinder, it was a dark color like the below. I was expecting a clear color due to the recent fluid change.

Any fluid I have used in the past was a nearly clear color with a light gold tint however I know there are fluids such as ATE Super blue that are tinted on purpose to help identify the new fluid during an exchange. The below just looks like old fluid that they never changed.

That's what I pulled from the rears using a MityVac hand vacuum pump and replaced with the OEM Toyota DOT 3 which is the typical clear color.

I don't think there's an underlying issue that would cause the fluid to turn that color in a couple months, just checking to see if anyone agrees that the shop didn't do anything and charged me for it. I didn't notice much of an improvement in pedal feel afterwards whereas just from the rears that I did myself, I can feel it already. I'll get to the fronts in the next couple days.
Old 09-24-22 | 05:13 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

That 100% looks like aged fluid to me. Like, several years and thousands of miles kind of aged. My wife's '18 SUV has clearer fluid than that with 60-ish kmi

My truck has cleaner fluid than that. And the fluid is 3yrs old by now.

Last edited by Mangsailor; 09-24-22 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-24-22 | 05:35 AM
chinee
Racer

Like BMGS, I'm accustomed to almost clear brake fluid when new, maybe with a slight yellow tint, and a dark color is usually associated with very old and/or contaminated fluid. Might be a good idea, if only to satisfy your curiousity, to get a fluid tester.

Now I'm considering a brake fluid flush and replace since it's been 4 years from new.

Edit: Just saw this vid and placed the tester in my Amazon cart.

Old 09-24-22 | 11:03 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
That 100% looks like aged fluid to me. Like, several years and thousands of miles kind of aged. My wife's '18 SUV has clearer fluid than that with 60-ish kmi

My truck has cleaner fluid than that. And the fluid is 3yrs old by now.
Thanks, it's probably original from 2016 if the shop screwed me over for the change. I would have done it sooner had I known it was that dark.
Old 09-24-22 | 11:04 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by chinee
Like BMGS, I'm accustomed to almost clear brake fluid when new, maybe with a slight yellow tint, and a dark color is usually associated with very old and/or contaminated fluid. Might be a good idea, if only to satisfy your curiousity, to get a fluid tester.

Now I'm considering a brake fluid flush and replace since it's been 4 years from new.

Edit: Just saw this vid and placed the tester in my Amazon cart.

https://youtu.be/SHMpxXGkXzw
Nice, definitely do it if it's that old, I like to do get to it every two years. It's easy with the MityVac.
Old 09-25-22 | 04:15 AM
richard203
Racer

ya that color you need a brake fluid change. I usually shine a flashlight on the brake reservoir to see the color if its brown i change it. the brake fluid color should be yellowish color
Old 09-26-22 | 02:57 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by richard203
ya that color you need a brake fluid change. I usually shine a flashlight on the brake reservoir to see the color if its brown i change it. the brake fluid color should be yellowish color
Yup much better now per the photo below. I saw that the color was darker but assumed it had to due with the plastic of the reservoir, I assume the shop wasn't scamming me but good to know there are still crappy shops like that still out there.

The MityVac was much easier than the Motive Pressure bleeder I used in the past, I'm glad I made the switch.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Fluid Color-20220926_054726.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
93SCMax (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22 | 04:16 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Which Mityvac bleeder do you use?

I need to buy one if you think it's the one to purchase.
Old 09-26-22 | 04:17 AM
richard203
Racer

Originally Posted by BMGS
Yup much better now per the photo below. I saw that the color was darker but assumed it had to due with the plastic of the reservoir, I assume the shop wasn't scamming me but good to know there are still crappy shops like that still out there.

The MityVac was much easier than the Motive Pressure bleeder I used in the past, I'm glad I made the switch.
ya that's why i usually clean the reservoir first then shine my flashlight to see the color but for the gs350 usually 2-3 the brake fluid will turn brown, don't know why but usually around that time i change my fluid. Last I changed it got some green algae build up inside the reservoir screen.
Old 09-26-22 | 05:08 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
Which Mityvac bleeder do you use?

I need to buy one if you think it's the one to purchase.
This one here: https://a.co/d/htWhbWz

The only downside is that the vacuum introduces bubbles into the stream post bleeder so its not the best tool for finding every little air bubble in the fluid. Perhaps a tighter tube would help that but I figure if I run a few cycles and about half a jar of fluid per caliper, I've done all that I can. The Motive bleeder was better for that but still there are more positives to the MityVac and too many negatives with the Motive.
The following users liked this post:
93SCMax (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22 | 06:57 AM
chinee
Racer

Brake fluid change is definitely overdue.

Old 09-26-22 | 07:08 AM
BMGS
Racer

Wow that thing is cool! Not surprised with the amount of humidity in the air that some ends up in the brake fluid.
Old 09-26-22 | 07:17 AM
chinee
Racer

For $12, it’s an inexpensive “toy”.

Looking at the brake bleeders at Harbor Freight right now, or I might just do it the old fashioned way.
Old 09-26-22 | 07:42 AM
jkeller
Advanced

I just had mine changed at 30 & 60k per the manual. It didn't look dark at all, but didn't have one of these testers. The dealer listed a BG brake service DOT 3 on the invoice.

Old 09-26-22 | 08:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

What am I missing? Doesn't that show that you do not need a fluid change? Green light is good!

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Color