GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is it dangerous to drive with leaking shocks/struts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 04:13 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
No one can really tell you what to do or not to do. everyone on here have provided plenty of advice to the problems you described.

You’ll have to forge your own path forward.
What you will gonna do in my place my car is 200 .000 miles old but i like it , its so charming.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I'm not an expert, but to charge your batteries, just run the car in Park or Neutral.
i cant leave it that way because its under ground and no ventilation is avalable , i dont want to die from toxic fumes... What is the safe speed to drive when shocks are leaking?
i have no idea when they will be replaced...and i have no option to charge the car battery unless i move drive the car in highway...
​​​​​​​
Old 10-08-22, 01:08 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
What you will gonna do in my place my car is 200 .000 miles old but i like it , its so charming.

i cant leave it that way because its under ground and no ventilation is avalable , i dont want to die from toxic fumes... What is the safe speed to drive when shocks are leaking?
i have no idea when they will be replaced...and i have no option to charge the car battery unless i move drive the car in highway...
​​​​​​​Drive the 450h from the garage to the outside, then run the engine in Park to recharge the batteries.
Old 10-08-22, 01:12 PM
bladest
Instructor

Drive the 450h from the garage to the outside, then run the engine in Park to recharge the batteries.
in that way car will switch from , car hybrid battery , to petrol and again to car hybrid battery, but i am not sure if the normal car battery 12v will be fully recharged or at all, when i drive in highway car battery can recharge the fastest right?
how much of car idling it needs to be done , and does the car battery recharge when car runs in battery ev only mode>?
Old 10-08-22, 01:58 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

I wonder what the 288v -> 12v DC-DC converter unit does. I also wonder why windows roll up & down way faster when the car is ON versus when it's in accessory mode.
The following users liked this post:
mjo13 (10-08-22)
Old 10-08-22, 02:00 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
I wonder what the 288v -> 12v DC-DC converter unit does. I also wonder why windows roll up & down way faster when the car is ON versus when it's in accessory mode.
Do you drive often your car in perfect shape , or it sits forever in your parking place like mine.
is there some sort of convertor, for electricity where i can put my battery tender or something in order to charge car battery faster or ? i have 240v car battery charger.. but i need socket or some convertor. To use power from the car ,and to charge it with the charger at the same time in order to speed up the process.
Old 10-08-22, 02:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

in that way car will switch from , car hybrid battery , to petrol and again to car hybrid battery, but i am not sure if the normal car battery 12v will be fully recharged or at all, when i drive in highway car battery can recharge the fastest right?
how much of car idling it needs to be done , and does the car battery recharge when car runs in battery ev only mode>?
Before you start engine, use voltmeter.
I did for old man's IS250 yesterday, and it was about 1.5 V.
I then used a Gooloo Lion hand held battery pack to jump start it.
I drove on highway for 1 hour and about 60 miles.
I switched engine off, but only 11.65 V.
Next day it would not start.
Had to Gooloo Lion battery pack to jump start again.

Drove to my place 3 minutes away.
Accidentally switched engine off.
Went upstairs to get a cell phone magnetic vent clip mount.
Again, car wouldn't restart.
Had to Gooloo Lion battery pack jump start.
Drove 30 minutes 30 miles to get cheap gas.
Switched engine off to refill tank.
Now, the engine was hesitant - there was a hiccup, but it started on its own.

Drove 30 mins to shops.
Stopped engine.
Went shopping.
After that, the engine fired up instantly.

Drove 10 mins home.
Switched off.
Now battery read 12.87 V on voltmeter.
However, the audio system would still NOT work, and nor the driver's remote power window control for 3x passengers either.
Though the passengers direct 3x buttons on their doors did work.

I had to drive the vehicle daily for another two days before the car audio finally worked.

Still, the driver's remote control for 3x passengers windows won't work.
But in my experience, after several days more driving, the driver's 3x passengers power window remote control WILL work.

I tested the voltage with engine on.
It was a whopping 14.8 V.
Way above 12.87 V when engine off.
That 14.8 V indicates that the alternator is working.

Hence rev your 450h to 1,500 or even 2,000 rpm for a good 15, 30 or even 45 mins etc.
Check the engine on and off voltages.
Do NOT rev in EV Mode, because this only depletes the battery pack.

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-08-22 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-08-22, 02:44 PM
bladest
Instructor

Before you start engine, use voltmeter.
I did for old man's IS250 yesterday, and it was about 1.5 V.
I then used a Gooloo Lion hand held battery pack to jump start it.
I drove on highway for 1 hour and about 60 miles.
I switched engine off, but only 11.65 V.
Next day it would not start.
Had to Gooloo Lion battery pack to jump start again.

Drove to my place 3 minutes away.
Accidentally switched engine off.
Went upstairs to get a cell phone magnetic vent clip mount.
Again, car wouldn't restart.
Had to Gooloo Lion battery pack jump start.
Drove 30 minutes 30 miles to get cheap gas.
Switched engine off to refill tank.
Now, the engine was hesitant - there was a hiccup, but it started on its own.

Drove 30 mins to shops.
Stopped engine.
Went shopping.
After that, the engine fired up instantly.

Drove 10 mins home.
Switched off.
Now battery read 12.87 V on voltmeter.
However, the audio system would still NOT work, and nor the passengers 3x remote window controls either.
Though the passengers 3x buttons on their doors did work.

I had to drive the vehicle daily for another day before the car audio finally worked.

Still, the driver's remote control for 4x passengers windows won't work.
But in my experience, after several days more driving, the driver's 3x passengers power window remote control WILL work.

I tested the voltage with engine on.
It was a whopping 14.8 V.
Way above 12.87 V when engine off.
That 14.8 V indicates that the alternator is working.

Hence rev your 450h to 1,500 or even 2,000 rpm for a good 15, 30 or even 45 mins etc.
Check the engine on and off voltages.
Do NOT rev in EV Mode, because this only depletes the battery pack.
i dont own any tools or voltmeter and i am not a mechanic or person who can do stuff like that,
i am old school person i preffer to drive my car into the high way in order to recharge the battery i dont think, leaving car turned on doesnt help much i tried that for my older classical cars even running at one place,

when i drive car in high rpm and specially in high way alternator is recharged much much faster...
if i leave car running for 30 -60 mins...
it doesnt help much.

if i drive car 200-300miles i am pretty sure battery will be almost rechared to maximum or close to that point...
i dont have save place to do revs...
so i better drive.
Old 10-08-22, 02:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

i dont own any tools or voltmeter and i am not a mechanic or person who can do stuff like that,
i am old school person i preffer to drive my car into the high way in order to recharge the battery i dont think, leaving car turned on doesnt help much i tried that for my older classical cars even running at one place,

when i drive car in high rpm and specially in high way alternator is recharged much much faster...
if i leave car running for 30 -60 mins...
it doesnt help much.

if i drive car 200-300miles i am pretty sure battery will be almost rechared to maximum or close to that point...
i dont have save place to do revs...
so i better drive.
You can't drive with blown shock absorbers.

Hence, put a brick on the gas pedal to rev engine to 2,000 rpm in Park or Neutral Mode for a good 1/2 an hour, and see how well the engine restarts.
If it can restart confidently, then good.
Old 10-08-22, 02:58 PM
bladest
Instructor

You can't drive with blown shock absorbers.

Hence, put a brick on the gas pedal to rev engine to 2,000 rpm in Park or Neutral Mode for a good 1/2 an hour, and see how well the engine restarts.
If it can restart confidently, then good.
Shocks are only leaking not destroyed completely they still have life and oil left in them . I have driven last night a little bit,but i am not sure if car will be able to do a long highway trip...
Old 10-08-22, 03:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Shocks are only leaking not destroyed completely they still have life and oil left in them . I have driven last night a little bit,but i am not sure if car will be able to do a long highway trip...
You said shocks were leaking everywhere, and that your car was floating all over the place?
If so, then only run the engine in Park Mode.
Old 10-08-22, 03:07 PM
bladest
Instructor

You said shocks were leaking everywhere, and that your car was floating all over the place?
If so, then only run the engine in Park Mode.
Yes , my car shocks are leaking, but i still think they have some fluid left.
When i drive car
car is in floating state very unstable and its like -feeling like i am into the sea.... deep sea...
it have some sort of body roll or i dont know how to explain............ i am not sure if thats normal or not?
i have no other gs 4th generation to compare may be because car is very heavy....
specially when i drive car in faster speeds 50mp/h or more...
is this normal?

Also why you never reply to my pm messages, what are your plans for your next cool car, will it be lexus and which model with what you plan to upgrade your gs>?
Old 10-08-22, 03:22 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Yes , my car shocks are leaking, but i still think they have some fluid left.
When i drive car
car is in floating state very unstable and its like -feeling like i am into the sea.... deep sea...
it have some sort of body roll or i dont know how to explain............ i am not sure if thats normal or not?
i have no other gs 4th generation to compare may be because car is very heavy....
specially when i drive car in faster speeds 50mp/h or more...
is this normal?

Also why you never reply to my pm messages, what are your plans for your next cool car, will it be lexus and which model with what you plan to upgrade your gs>?
Sounds like your shocks truly unroadworthy.
Best use brick on gas pedal to charge your car battery.

Better still, have you thought about buying a wall plug-in 12 V battery charger?

My next car preferably a Lexus solid state EV powered midsize sedan, or even solid state EV powered +4" crossover sedan.

I don't think they'll be around till 2030 or the like.

Unless there is something confidential or sensitive, I prefer to post publicly because public forum is far more knowledgeable than me.
Old 10-08-22, 03:28 PM
bladest
Instructor

Sounds like your shocks truly unroadworthy.
Best use brick on gas pedal to charge your car battery.

Better still, have you thought about buying a wall plug-in 12 V battery charger?

My next car preferably a Lexus solid state EV powered midsize sedan, or even solid state EV powered +4" crossover sedan.

I don't think they'll be around till 2030 or the like.

Unless there is something confidential or sensitive, I prefer to post publicly because public forum is far more knowledgeable than me.
I have extremely good home battery charger.
bought it before 1 year or its from the company ctek i payed around 200$ or more for it...
but its 240 volts...
Unfortunately i cant use it for none of my cars..
currently because i park my cars very far away few miles away lets say 5-10miles no available spaces available where i am , 2ndly batteries are heavy so i dont plan to bring home battery to charge it and return it.... i also have no tools to remove it from the car it self..

how will this thing will help me? wall plug-in 12 V battery charger? i was thinking for some convertor to 240volt in order to use my..... ctek charger which is profesionnal.
So do you plan to keep your lexus gs until year 2030?
your current car? Will you consider other brands like bmw ,audi ,mercedess,tesla which are into ev market already? or you will stuck with lexus? forever? what kinda repairs so far you have done and are you a repair shop or ?
i am not sure if these 12v wall plugs can really do help i dont want to damage car electronics or battery in any way.... battery is quite expensive. i recently replaced it.

Old 10-08-22, 04:28 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

@peteharvey this is a hybrid, hence:
1) 12v charges the same regardless of whether the engine is running and at what RPM
2) engine can only start on the high voltage (hybrid) battery
The following users liked this post:
peteharvey (10-08-22)
Old 10-08-22, 04:31 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
@peteharvey this is a hybrid, hence:
1) 12v charges the same regardless of whether the engine is running and at what RPM
2) engine can only start on the high voltage (hybrid) battery
So even if i remove/car battery car will still start correct?
Can you clarify please i am little bit confused?
do this rpm thing apply for all kinda cars uncluding non hybrid cars or only for hybrid cars? When i start the car i always her the engine it self it never starts in battery mode ev mode?
i always hear the engine it self...

Quick Reply: Is it dangerous to drive with leaking shocks/struts?