GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is it dangerous to drive with leaking shocks/struts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 05:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
@peteharvey this is a hybrid, hence:
1) 12v charges the same regardless of whether the engine is running and at what RPM
2) engine can only start on the high voltage (hybrid) battery
Thanks. I didn't know that. Good to know...
Old 10-08-22, 06:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bladest
I have extremely good home battery charger.
bought it before 1 year or its from the company ctek i payed around 200$ or more for it...
but its 240 volts...
Unfortunately i cant use it for none of my cars..
currently because i park my cars very far away few miles away lets say 5-10miles no available spaces available where i am , 2ndly batteries are heavy so i dont plan to bring home battery to charge it and return it.... i also have no tools to remove it from the car it self..

how will this thing will help me? wall plug-in 12 V battery charger? i was thinking for some convertor to 240volt in order to use my..... ctek charger which is profesionnal.
So do you plan to keep your lexus gs until year 2030?
your current car? Will you consider other brands like bmw ,audi ,mercedess,tesla which are into ev market already? or you will stuck with lexus? forever? what kinda repairs so far you have done and are you a repair shop or ?
i am not sure if these 12v wall plugs can really do help i dont want to damage car electronics or battery in any way.... battery is quite expensive. i recently replaced it.
I have something similar to this below.
Amazon.com: Smart Battery Charger Maintainer for Car, Haofy 110-240V(Input) 12V/8A 24V/4A (Output) Automotive Battery Charger with LCD Digital Display for Truck AGM Motorcycle Charger or Repair : Automotive Amazon.com: Smart Battery Charger Maintainer for Car, Haofy 110-240V(Input) 12V/8A 24V/4A (Output) Automotive Battery Charger with LCD Digital Display for Truck AGM Motorcycle Charger or Repair : Automotive

I don't have to remove the 12 V battery from under the hood, however I must use an auto spanner to disconnect both positive and negative terminals from the battery.
I attach the alligator clips to reconditon/discharge and recharge the battery over the next few days.

Saves you from having to idle your internal combustion engine to recharge your battery.
Old 10-08-22, 06:18 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I have something similar to this below.
Amazon.com: Smart Battery Charger Maintainer for Car, Haofy 110-240V(Input) 12V/8A 24V/4A (Output) Automotive Battery Charger with LCD Digital Display for Truck AGM Motorcycle Charger or Repair : Automotive

I don't have to remove the 12 V battery from under the hood, however I must use an auto spanner to disconnect both positive and negative terminals from the battery.
I attach the alligator clips to reconditon/discharge and recharge the battery over the next few days.

Saves you from having to idle your internal combustion engine to recharge your battery.
hybrid battery is located into the trunk. But how do you power this ? Do you power it from the rear seats 12v socket or ? Also hybrid seats doesnt fall so door needs to be opened in order cable to have space to movr to then opened trunk ... not so well if i leave car that way they can steal something since its public place and a lit of people are parking their cars.
Old 10-08-22, 06:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

hybrid battery is located into the trunk. But how do you power this ? Do you power it from the rear seats 12v socket or ? Also hybrid seats doesnt fall so door needs to be opened in order cable to have space to movr to then opened trunk ... not so well if i leave car that way they can steal something since its public place and a lit of people are parking their cars.
I only know about maintaining the 12 V battery.
Regarding the hybrid battery pack, you must ask Lexus what you must do to maintain that battery.
For a brief 3-6 months period, it may need no maintenance whatsoever.
Old 10-08-22, 06:29 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

You can't drive with blown shock absorbers.

Hence, put a brick on the gas pedal to rev engine to 2,000 rpm in Park or Neutral Mode for a good 1/2 an hour, and see how well the engine restarts.
If it can restart confidently, then good.
There is no need to gas the pedal on a hybrid. It charges in P or D when in Ready mode.

However, not in N for the Hybrid battery.
Old 10-08-22, 06:31 PM
Lead Lap

I only know about maintaining the 12 V battery.
Regarding the hybrid battery pack, you must ask Lexus what you must do to maintain that battery.
For a brief 3-6 months period, it may need no maintenance whatsoever.
No need to ask Lexus. All public information on maintaining hybrid pack. It’s even in the owners manual.
Old 10-08-22, 06:40 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 703
No need to ask Lexus. All public information on maintaining hybrid pack. It’s even in the owners manual.
So what must we do if not driving GS450h for 12 months?

The 12 V battery must be charged.
I know that the car must be moved every so often otherswise the tires will flat spot.

Does the hybrid battery pack need any maintenance???
Old 10-08-22, 09:05 PM
Lead Lap

So what must we do if not driving GS450h for 12 months?

The 12 V battery must be charged.
I know that the car must be moved every so often otherswise the tires will flat spot.

Does the hybrid battery pack need any maintenance???
I have posted here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...l#post11375023

As it's off-topic for this thread.

The following users liked this post:
peteharvey (10-08-22)
Old 10-08-22, 11:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

You must follow Lexus instructions as follows:

You must have a voltmeter:
Amazon.com : voltmeter Amazon.com : voltmeter

Check that the 12 V battery is at least 12.6 V; else put tranny in P and idle engine for 30 minutes to charge batteries.
Once battery at least 12.6 V, put transmission into P.
Disconnect negative terminal of battery.

Every 2 months, with the transmission in P, reconnect the negative terminal of the battery, and idle the egine for 30 minutes to recharge both the 12 volt and the hybrid battery.
Then disconnect negative terminal of the battery for storage.

So easy.
If I'm not wrong, I think these rules apply to traditional non-hybrid engines too.

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-09-22 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-10-22, 02:35 AM
petr4271
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes , my car shocks are leaking, but i still think they have some fluid left.
When i drive car
car is in floating state very unstable and its like -feeling like i am into the sea.... deep sea...
it have some sort of body roll or i dont know how to explain............ i am not sure if thats normal or not?
i have no other gs 4th generation to compare may be because car is very heavy....
specially when i drive car in faster speeds 50mp/h or more...
is this normal?

Also why you never reply to my pm messages, what are your plans for your next cool car, will it be lexus and which model with what you plan to upgrade your gs>?
Did you replace your struts already ? Where did you buy them from ? Thanks
Old 12-10-22, 03:23 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by petr4271
Did you replace your struts already ? Where did you buy them from ? Thanks
Hello
i have all 4 shocks i bought them new they are in my trunk my village repair man is very busy i have no idea when he will replace them i wait for him, a lot may be next year... may be never he is very very busy..... i bought these from rock auto.
But they are available in usa in every site.
Old 12-10-22, 03:39 AM
petr4271
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello
i have all 4 shocks i bought them new they are in my trunk my village repair man is very busy i have no idea when he will replace them i wait for him, a lot may be next year... may be never he is very very busy..... i bought these from rock auto.
But they are available in usa in every site.
shocks are not difficult to replace, why does it take forever to replace to your mechanic ?
Old 12-10-22, 04:41 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by petr4271
shocks are not difficult to replace, why does it take forever to replace to your mechanic ?
The village is probably full of ladas and the guy has his hands full?
The following users liked this post:
bloodbean (12-12-22)
Old 12-10-22, 05:36 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
The village is probably full of ladas and the guy has his hands full?
My village repair man, works on a lot of cars, he is also having 2 small kids + wife and he is very busy busy... its not hard to replace them but i got no one else to do the job.
No proper lexus/toyota dealership in Bulgaria so i am stuck. I am not mechanic my self.