Sad Night Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 02:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 909
What gen IS (years) are compatible with our GS's
I would have to run it up but if I remember correctly its 2006 - 2012. I know the after Market Headers are compatible all across. The 2016 plus difference are only compat with the newer 2GR 16+. One would need to cross ref but they do work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18560552047...8aAuimEALw_wcB
Old 10-07-22, 03:12 PM
dmac250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Congrats!

What do you like about the ES coming from the GS? Because it's a hard no from me.
In years past I'd agree, I'm at the point now that it was either pay a ton for an LS (I cant right now) or get an IS and that's too small for me. I can do some work for the ES and make it my own which I plan on doing. Its comfortable, has a smooth ride and they redid the entertainment system which might seem like a small thing but for me, it was a selling point over the old style which needed an update..and badly.
Old 10-07-22, 03:17 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by BMGS
Curious to see what the OP says but from my perspective its easy to scoff when I receive a letter in the mail with an ES offer but its another thing when your 123K mile car is sitting on a lift with a recurring issue and then you sit in a brand new car with an dangling offer. Its not a GS but still is a really nice looking Lexus!
Yeah, when I was there and looked at what they had to offer the LS was out of my range currently. The IS & RC are to small for me and my son (the whole reason I got the GS in the first place was to replace my RC as my son keeps getting taller lol) I love the IS but couldn't go to that smaller form factor. Since they discontinued the GS this was the next "best" size for me...I test-drove some BMWs as well but I figured if I'm complaining about CAT's now I could only imagine how I'd be complaining with those lol. With all of that said I think the ES kind of has some of the same esthetic as the GS I just gave up and after some touches of my own this ES is gonna be sick.
Old 10-07-22, 03:17 PM
dmac250
Driver

Ahhh I have a lot to say but it doesn’t matter lol

The ES is nice indeed!
This is the place to say it lol
Old 10-07-22, 03:18 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by 703
123k is a lot of miles and right time to move on from.
I know, but I would have loved to have it all the way into the 200's lol I'm gonna miss my baby.
Old 10-07-22, 03:20 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
ES is fine if u just need it for commuting. Just keep it under 100, it can get sketchy over 100 especially if it doesn't have AVS like mine. U can always trade it in for an LS later when u get tired of it, ES has good resale value I think.

And keep an eye on that FSport emblem on the steering wheel, the adhesive seems to get loose after a while and can fall off. Happens to many on here too it seems, including mine. Never had this issue with the GS.
Lol I've never actually had an ES, I'm just making my rounds in the Lexus world, I think I should be ok tho thanks.
Old 10-07-22, 03:22 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
I would have to run it up but if I remember correctly its 2006 - 2012. I know the after Market Headers are compatible all across. The 2016 plus difference are only compat with the newer 2GR 16+. One would need to cross ref but they do work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18560552047...8aAuimEALw_wcB
Yeah that all may be true but beyond the scope of what I wanted to deal with right now. The dealer pricing on the replacements wasn't worth it and having two go in that short period of time spooked me that I was in for something else next. Rational as that may be or not.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (10-07-22)
Old 10-07-22, 03:24 PM
dmac250
Driver

Mileage doesn’t matter. You guys care too much about a number.
I agree I actually think its a badge of honor lol I just wish I had more faith in the car going forward.
greys0uled (10-07-22)
Old 10-07-22, 03:36 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac250
This is the place to say it lol
The 4GS has two cats correct? How much did it cost to replace the first time, and what did they quote you the second?

I was gonna say that I feel like you gave up on the car too easily. But if this is a bigger issue and they can't diagnose it correctly then I understand moving on.
Old 10-07-22, 03:40 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by 909
Congrats on the new whip.

Did they tell you why your cats went bad @ 123K
nope they seemed to be scratching their heads also.
Old 10-07-22, 03:45 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
Congrats to OP on the new ride.

Mileage matters for a number of reasons, as I've personally learned.
  • Not everyone is a DIYer. Many have busy lives and don't have time to be junkyard-hopping and DIY'ing/Wrenching on weekends for hours at a time. Things like cats or balljoints are a big no for those who are time-constrained.
  • Things wear out. Sure you may replace oil, brake pads here and there, or your cabin filter. But certain items that are hidden/hard to reached/or generally inaccessible by your home-gamer will experience wear and the car just gets weaker and more bendy/loose/loud over time. Plastic and rubbers dry rot, seals wear, brake lines harden, and things get brittle and rot. On an aging car you can suddenly find yourself playing "whack-a-mole" as various things age/wear/dry/deteriorate--things that aren't reasonably DIY'd or accessible either with time or money. And even if certain items are accessible or DIY friendly, they can be expensive/hard to find. Think door seals/door aperture seals/window seals that dry rot over time on aging cars--they tend to be super expensive.
  • Chassis gets weak as it ages and goes through hundreds of driving cycles bending, flexing, stretching, compressing, twisting, etc-- welds pop (under the paint) etc. You don't realize it cause you get used to it.
  • Things like subframe bushings, differential bushings, balljoints will almost certainly never get changed and if and when they do, it costs a lot of time and money.
  • Things like paint and rubbers/plastics need constant upkeep and refreshing. True of any car, sure. But on older cars, options get limited as paint thins out after washing/waxing/cleaning/corrections.
  • The list goes on and on. Engine/powertrain, clutch, flywheel, rear main seals, wheel bearings--things that can become a PITA time/cost wise. I've experienced all the above!

i don’t really see any lies here. I just need something reliable I just didn’t feel like sitting in the dealer over and over. I bought the GS with 30 miles on it. I’d say I got some good miles out of it and made some memories with it also.
Old 10-07-22, 03:54 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac250
I waved goodbye to my GS last night. It was only a year and a half ago that I had to change a catalytic converter on it. After I got it fixed it ran beautifully. Fast forward to about a week ago and the engine light came on. I ran the diagnostic and came to find the other one was now bad. I took it to Lexus to confirm and while there they had me take a look at the new ES F Sport. After a test drive and them making me an offer on my broken GS, I drove off in the ES. Besides the convertor issue, the GS was one of the best cars I've ever owned. I was a bit sad to see it roll away.

My New Ride:

Hello congratulation of your new car, but gs is way better compared to es,
can you tell me,
how much they valued your gs and what year was and how many miles and what level of equipment ?do u way 18 way seat adjustment or ?

Mine gs 450h have 4 cats and car is 200.000miles and not yet replaced working like charm.

i also have 2 classic car 30-40 years old i drive on a daily base with these stretched chasis and other things someone mentioned above great cars!
So thats not true.
if you have reliable car it will last really really long time, its true i made some maintenance this year i replaced air conditioner radiator other one was shot, and brake disks and pads... for front and oil and filters...

Last edited by bladest; 10-07-22 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 05:00 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
The ES is a fine car. Congrats.

I would use good fuel this time always and make sure as BMGS says, run some cleaner in it periodically. For those who have this problem there are aftermarket Cats much cheaper and/or you can buy some off of someone who put Headers on their car with low miles. Like me. Also the GS,RC, IS, are all the same Exhaust Cat fit.
I actually mentioned the seafoam and cleaners for the opposite reason that theres some chance the deposits they clean can clog a cat.
maclem8223 (10-07-22)
Old 10-07-22, 06:30 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by bladest
Hello congratulation of your new car, but gs is way better compared to es,
can you tell me,
how much they valued your gs and what year was and how many miles and what level of equipment ?do u way 18 way seat adjustment or ?

Mine gs 450h have 4 cats and car is 200.000miles and not yet replaced working like charm.

i also have 2 classic car 30-40 years old i drive on a daily base with these stretched chasis and other things someone mentioned above great cars!
So thats not true.
if you have reliable car it will last really really long time, its true i made some maintenance this year i replaced air conditioner radiator other one was shot, and brake disks and pads... for front and oil and filters...
hey they are definitely two different cars for sure… there are things I liked more about the gs and already things I like about the newer car.

if they had a new gs i probably would have gotten that but as you know that’s no longer an option. The LS isn’t in my range and the IS was s a little to small for my families needs.

I got the 2015 GS with 30 miles on it and just went over 123k. They gave me 19k and I wasn’t willing to buy an older car. So for my needs it’s just right.

I look forward to modding it, it should be a good challenge. It’s definitely not the ES’s I recall from my teen years. (I’m in my 30’s)
Old 10-07-22, 06:36 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
I actually mentioned the seafoam and cleaners for the opposite reason that theres some chance the deposits they clean can clog a cat.
Yes I know it can be useful for both reasons, is what I was saying. Prevention is always better than fixing.

Quick Reply: Sad Night Last Night