GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sad Night Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 06:38 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
The 4GS has two cats correct? How much did it cost to replace the first time, and what did they quote you the second?

I was gonna say that I feel like you gave up on the car too easily. But if this is a bigger issue and they can't diagnose it correctly then I understand moving on.
We have 4 Cats, 2 right off the Factory Exhaust Manifold and 2 Center Cats. Only the Exhaust one reads the Sensor. From Lexus its about $2k plus per side last I checked to replace.
Old 10-07-22, 06:41 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac250
Yeah that all may be true but beyond the scope of what I wanted to deal with right now. The dealer pricing on the replacements wasn't worth it and having two go in that short period of time spooked me that I was in for something else next. Rational as that may be or not.
I posted this for anyone else that runs into this for them to know options. My 2013 ES350 U/L was actually a better riding car IMO.
Old 10-07-22, 06:45 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,151 Likes on 849 Posts

@dmac250 sorry to see you leave the GS family. I had a similar experience with my 2GS - I fixed everything (2 cats, O2 sensors, suspension, repainted bumpers, etc.) until the 125k mark and the final straw was a broken heater core. The car was probably worth about $5000 if i sold it private party, but took $4000 from the dealer and eventually ended up in a '13 GS.

I've been there: the thought process ends up being "do I keep spending extra money on this aging car...no guarantee if I fix this problem, another won't pop up...or can I take that money and get into something newer with less headaches."

I think you made a good choice because as good a car the GS has been known to be...any car with 120k+ miles, no matter how well it was cared for, will have potential for more expense failures/repairs. Enjoy the ES and at least you stayed in the Lexus fam!

Btw: Did you consider getting a newer GS - maybe a 2019 or 2020?
Old 10-07-22, 06:56 PM
dmac250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@dmac250 sorry to see you leave the GS family. I had a similar experience with my 2GS - I fixed everything (2 cats, O2 sensors, suspension, repainted bumpers, etc.) until the 125k mark and the final straw was a broken heater core. The car was probably worth about $5000 if i sold it private party, but took $4000 from the dealer and eventually ended up in a '13 GS.

I've been there: the thought process ends up being "do I keep spending extra money on this aging car...no guarantee if I fix this problem, another won't pop up...or can I take that money and get into something newer with less headaches."

I think you made a good choice because as good a car the GS has been known to be...any car with 120k+ miles, no matter how well it was cared for, will have potential for more expense failures/repairs. Enjoy the ES and at least you stayed in the Lexus fam!

Btw: Did you consider getting a newer GS - maybe a 2019 or 2020?
I did consider it for a split second but once I test drove the 2023 ride I was pretty much sold. Honestly one day I might grab another one when I can afford/have the space for two rides. It was a great car.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (10-07-22)
Old 10-07-22, 06:56 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Congrats and enjoy your new ride!
I appreciate it, some ppl seem very disappointed in me lol
Old 10-07-22, 06:58 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by BMGS
Nice ES, hope you enjoy it!

That was a really nice GS, did you use Seafoam or any other additives? Its odd to have the cats go so soon.
When I tell you I babied this car I mean it. I was baffled when the first one went and quickly replaced that one.
Old 10-07-22, 08:32 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Mileage doesn’t matter. You guys care too much about a number.
Resale value goes down quite significantly on any luxury cars when the miles rack up. People who would pay top dollars for a Lexus are after low milage. Plus the additional annoying things that goes wrong as well which I rather avoid as life is busy.

I tend to not keep cars over 60k miles, our RX has gone just past 60k miles and will be on the lookout for a newer car. Also, it's good to experience driving different cars. E.g. I've driven 2 generation's of the GS, 3 generation's of the ES. You get to learn the quirks and getting the most out of the model which is fun.

Old 10-07-22, 08:36 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

I appreciate it, some ppl seem very disappointed in me lol
The ES is actually pretty good value for money for the room that you get inside. But you do tend to drive it more conservatively because it feels much bigger than the GS. My wife doesn't like my ES, she complains that the doors are too large and it's too long.
Old 10-07-22, 09:00 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by 703
Resale value goes down quite significantly on any luxury cars when the miles rack up. People who would pay top dollars for a Lexus are after low milage. Plus the additional annoying things that goes wrong as well which I rather avoid as life is busy.

I tend to not keep cars over 60k miles, our RX has gone just past 60k miles and will be on the lookout for a newer car. Also, it's good to experience driving different cars. E.g. I've driven 2 generation's of the GS, 3 generation's of the ES. You get to learn the quirks and getting the most out of the model which is fun.
normally I agree with this sentiment but right now dealers seem thirsty for cars.
Old 10-07-22, 10:30 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Does ur 23 ES have AVS?
Old 10-08-22, 05:53 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

hey they are definitely two different cars for sure… there are things I liked more about the gs and already things I like about the newer car.

if they had a new gs i probably would have gotten that but as you know that’s no longer an option. The LS isn’t in my range and the IS was s a little to small for my families needs.

I got the 2015 GS with 30 miles on it and just went over 123k. They gave me 19k and I wasn’t willing to buy an older car. So for my needs it’s just right.

I look forward to modding it, it should be a good challenge. It’s definitely not the ES’s I recall from my teen years. (I’m in my 30’s)
in the end how much do you pay for ES- or its in lease?

I can list few of the things where gs is better

at least my gs is having night vision ,4 brake caliper piston brakes 18 way adjustable seats,,,, faster than any ES, 450h... 5.7 seconds 0-100 rear wheels,better suspention and many other things...
way way better than ES, not sure with what can Es car can attract most people.
mine even have LED/high and low beams.... so unless they came with LASER headlight , which audi have and bmw and some other brands it will not be good upgrade and better seats/brake/engines and better fuel economy.
Old 10-08-22, 06:35 AM
mjo13
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
in the end how much do you pay for ES- or its in lease?

I can list few of the things where gs is better

at least my gs is having night vision ,4 brake caliper piston brakes 18 way adjustable seats,,,, faster than any ES, 450h... 5.7 seconds 0-100 rear wheels,better suspention and many other things...
way way better than ES, not sure with what can Es car can attract most people.
mine even have LED/high and low beams.... so unless they came with LASER headlight , which audi have and bmw and some other brands it will not be good upgrade and better seats/brake/engines and better fuel economy.
A 15 year old ES would be better than your piece of junk, rust-bucket GSh. How are the busted shocks working out for you with your "better suspension"? The OP won't need a dedicated village idiot mechanic to keep his ES running.
The following users liked this post:
lostape45 (10-09-22)
Old 10-08-22, 06:38 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mjo13
A 15 year old ES would be better than your piece of junk, rust-bucket GSh. How are the busted shocks working out for you with your "better suspension"? The OP won't need a dedicated village idiot mechanic to keep his ES running.
i have brand new genuine shocks,
4 of them i am just waiting for my village service repair person to be available in order to install them,
about rust
i bought a lot of chemicals to prevent and stop rust + i will galvanize the whole chasis .
My village repair man is a pro , he is the only one which can solve complex issues around example my driver seat,
which toyota was not able to repair because they are the people - (with the word which u crossed). With volume sales or non existing customer base they dont know in my country how to service and repair these cars at all ,so my village man is my best repair man,so far.
Old 10-08-22, 04:00 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by 703
The ES is actually pretty good value for money for the room that you get inside. But you do tend to drive it more conservatively because it feels much bigger than the GS. My wife doesn't like my ES, she complains that the doors are too large and it's too long.
really? See I feel like the GS was bigger 🤷🏽‍♂️… I don’t necessarily drive conservatively either tho lol
Old 10-08-22, 04:00 PM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Does ur 23 ES have AVS?
I believe so

Quick Reply: Sad Night Last Night