GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sad Night Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-22, 04:52 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

I think it was a 16. The whole car looks like a 16+.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (10-09-22)
Old 10-10-22, 06:21 AM
dmac250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I took a longer drive to visit my granda last night and really enjoyed it on the express way... I'm happy with the move.
Old 10-10-22, 06:21 AM
dmac250
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Looks like you did a 16+ front end conversion.

I had a 15 too. It was a great car!
Its a 16 I mistyped.
Old 10-10-22, 06:42 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

dmac as you can tell, there is alot of hate for the ES due to the ending of the GS. I personally like the ES myself. Some don't understand what it is. Enjoy the nice ES you have!!!!
Old 10-14-22, 12:15 PM
dmac250
Driver

thanks for the love...and trust me i understand I wish they would keep the GS going.....
Old 10-14-22, 07:09 PM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Having driven both of these as great as the GS is/was , the ES is perfectly capable and updated , and I truly enjoy it every time I get loaner from the dealer.
congrats to you and cheers to a new chapter.
Old 10-16-22, 02:36 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
ES is fine if u just need it for commuting. Just keep it under 100, it can get sketchy over 100 especially if it doesn't have AVS like mine. U can always trade it in for an LS later when u get tired of it, ES has good resale value I think.

And keep an eye on that FSport emblem on the steering wheel, the adhesive seems to get loose after a while and can fall off. Happens to many on here too it seems, including mine. Never had this issue with the GS.
I had an ES F Sport as a loaner. It felt very stable over 100. Being the F Sport it probably had the AVS. Same with the recent UX loaner. These cars have come a long way. Also, I have driven earlier versions of each, and the current versions seems improved in many ways (lots of little refinements; continuous improvement probably true of all manufacturers).
Old 10-16-22, 02:41 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
@E46CT Everything you typed is assuming someone is spending time DIY.. nobody has to do DIY. These are Japanese cars, they are not expensive to repair.

As vehicles get higher into mileage there are additional maintenance items you'll have to replace.. that is well known, it is still cheaper than taking out a new car loan. We've seen a million mile LS400's and Tundra's, 400K miles IS F's. I've seen people mention high mileage on this forum and I wonder if you guys realize what kind of product you're driving, but I digress. No idea why OP's catalytic converter went bad that early, that isn't normal at all.

Saw this ES a few months ago when I went to the Lexus dealer and had to snap a pic, loved the color and the wheels. ES is a nice car wish it was RWD.
Looks mighty nice indeed. I also wish the same that it was RWD. However, a nice compromise would if they had AWD with the ES 350 F Sport.
Old 10-18-22, 01:31 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I hate to bring this up after the fact but most catalytic converters do not go bad. The downstream O2 sensor is what fails and triggers the code that your catalytic converter is bad. Like 9.99999 times out of 10. The catalytic converter should last the life of the car. The downstream O2 sensor is a $65 part and is very easy to replace.

The shops are going to look at their little flow chart which says if such and such code comes in then replace the cat (which will also instruct them to replace the O2 sensor along with it) but the part that is issuing the code is the one failing.

Last edited by firelikeiy; 10-18-22 at 01:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by firelikeiy:
909 (10-18-22), greys0uled (10-18-22), ItzFilyO (10-18-22)
Old 10-18-22, 02:36 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
I hate to bring this up after the fact but most catalytic converters do not go bad. The downstream O2 sensor is what fails and triggers the code that your catalytic converter is bad. Like 9.99999 times out of 10. The catalytic converter should last the life of the car. The downstream O2 sensor is a $65 part and is very easy to replace.

The shops are going to look at their little flow chart which says if such and such code comes in then replace the cat (which will also instruct them to replace the O2 sensor along with it) but the part that is issuing the code is the one failing.
Yeah. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a mention of a bad cat in the 4GS forums. I just think OP wanted an ES.

Anyways.
Old 10-18-22, 02:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Well that is good to know that cats don't go down that easy! And if Lexus cars only good for 100K miles, then we all should be buying BMWs now.
Old 10-19-22, 07:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Do u have Sport+ or just Sport mode?

Sport+ means u have AVS and that's a game changer compared to my 21 ES with no S+ and AVS. I think the suspension rebound control is much better, like the GS. My ES would float and fly to the moon if I hit an uneven and wavy road. That's the part that I really hate about this car and u shouldn't have to upgrade anything when u just spent $54K on a brand new car.
AVS might be great until you have to replace those darn dampers. Beware. I bought mine specifically targeting one SANS AVS.
Old 10-19-22, 08:23 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

All of the ES I saw when I bought my 21 didn't have AVS and it looks like u have to special order it to have one. All of the dealers in CA didn't have it at the time but I think now it's a part of the FSport Handling Package.

Now they have FSport appearance and FSport handling packages. This is so dumb.

There's a section on the freeway by my place that has uneven surface (wavy) and this car bounces off so hard and felt like it's about to lift off to Mars. The GS AVS really helps a lot with this and keeps the car planted. Cornering is still okay with non-AVS but the rebound control is terrible. I will gladly take any AVS equipped cars over this, it has warranty anyway.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 10-19-22 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-19-22, 10:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,824 Posts

All of the ES I saw when I bought my 21 didn't have AVS and it looks like u have to special order it to have one. All of the dealers in CA didn't have it at the time but I think now it's a part of the FSport Handling Package.

Now they have FSport appearance and FSport handling packages. This is so dumb.

There's a section on the freeway by my place that has uneven surface (wavy) and this car bounces off so hard and felt like it's about to lift off to Mars. The GS AVS really helps a lot with this and keeps the car planted. Cornering is still okay with non-AVS but the rebound control is terrible. I will gladly take any AVS equipped cars over this, it has warranty anyway.
I enjoy the trips to Mars - great long distance cruising. When I bought my ES, it was the exact opposite - they all had AVS and I had to search for one that didn't. Now I can enjoy my trips to outer space.
Old 10-19-22, 10:22 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, no need to may $100K+ for those galactic experience. ES will take u there in no time!
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (10-19-22)

Quick Reply: Sad Night Last Night