GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

5GS/New RWD Crown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-22, 05:28 PM
14GS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5GS/New RWD Crown?

Not sure if anybody has noticed this or has already pointed this out, but I wanted to hear your guy's thoughts on this. I keep seeing the new Toyota Crown lineup, and of course the first one we are getting in the new 'Crown sub-brand' is this disgusting 2 tone lifted FWD based Crown. What keeps me interested, however, is the fact that among the initial reveal back in July there is another model pictured, what looks to be a RWD (possibly TNGA-L based) Crown which looks rather good. Now what I'm not sure of is foremost if it is even coming to the US (small possibility) and on the small chance if it would, would it be rebadged as a Lexus? Akio Toyoda stated that he wanted to make it a global model, but unknown if he means the entire lineup or just the annoying crossover we are confirmed to be getting. I would be immensely happy if they ended up bringing this RWD model and rebadging it as a Lexus, but to be honest, I'm just being hopeful. What do you guys think?

Old 10-10-22, 05:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

The Toyota Crown conventional sedan based on RWD GA-L platform above is only for Japanese Domestic Market JDM AFAIK.
AFAIK, only the Toyota Crown Crossover Sedan below is globalized.

Old 10-10-22, 06:24 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The GS might come back one day as an all electric vehicle, but I'm still waiting on Toyota's solid state battery's.
Old 10-10-22, 06:33 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Not saying 100% anything is possible but, never seen a car company bring a car back that was discontinued do to sales as low as the GS. The sales numbers are like 1# importance to a car company. Anybody remember the Toyota Cressida?

https://carsalesbase.com/us-toyota-cressida/
Old 10-10-22, 06:37 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
Not saying 100% anything is possible but, never seen a car company bring a car back that was discontinued do to sales as low as the GS. The sales numbers are like 1# importance to a car company. Anybody remember the Toyota Cressida?

If it comes back as an all electric car and they call it the GS won't matter what the past sales were, it's a completely different car. I think it will be called a GS because of the performance nature of this vehicle.

Or Maybe Lexus GZ 350 lol

Last edited by peasodos; 10-10-22 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-10-22, 07:00 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Yes, probably GZ500/600/700 etc.
Old 10-10-22, 07:21 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I remember my parents had one back in the 80's. I don't remember which year, but it had a straight 6 in it.
Old 10-10-22, 09:08 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

They would need a different electric motor than put in the ES and LS still don't think. It's not going to be a seller that they would invest in. They def wont end the ES and LS. A AWD EV ES will be that GS nitch. The ES is just selling too well for Lexus to try and eat it's own children pulling away from the ES sales. Lexus new car buyers have changed. The decline of the GS sales was a signal. Its too much risk investment based on its ending history. Plus the SUV market is here to stay. Just my opinion.
Old 10-10-22, 11:37 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm not liking the Crown that we're getting here in the US. They should've kept the Avalon. Those sedan / cross tour / cross trek / cross this and that never really appeal to me. Just keep it simple. Sedan, SUV, and minivan with nothing in between.
The following users liked this post:
14GS350 (10-11-22)
Old 10-11-22, 05:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I'm not liking the Crown that we're getting here in the US. They should've kept the Avalon. Those sedan / cross tour / cross trek / cross this and that never really appeal to me. Just keep it simple. Sedan, SUV, and minivan with nothing in between.

Old 10-11-22, 01:08 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Oh man...I remember the "Cress"!! My older cousin had one and it was the most luxurious car that anyone had during that late 80's era in my family. It was an '88 I believe and the coolest thing I remember at the time I never saw elsewhere: this little section with buttons they made closer to the steering wheel (still on the dash console) as a convenience for the driver to turn up the volume or switch to AM/FM radio

I think the Avalon eventually replaced the Cressida and now the Avalon is going away about 30yrs after the Cressida went away.

Originally Posted by peasodos
If it comes back as an all electric car and they call it the GS won't matter what the past sales were, it's a completely different car. I think it will be called a GS because of the performance nature of this vehicle.
Or Maybe Lexus GZ 350 lol
You're probably right about a new electrified Lexus that eventually serves as the performance related sedan successor to the GS. I don't know if they'll call it a GS since other recent Lexus discontinuations (SC430, HS250, CT200) never made a reappearance...but you never know.

Even Nissan's Maxima is apparently being discontinued next year to be potentially replaced by an EV: https://www.motortrend.com/news/niss...ontinued-2023/
Old 10-11-22, 01:14 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

They should put the powertrain from the GR Corolla or Yaris on the CT and that thing will be gold. Guaranteed will be sold out even before they hit the US soil.

Had a 2014 CT200 base in the family before. Nice car to drive around town, it's small and handles well but lacked power.
Old 10-11-22, 01:51 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

My Mom had a Cressida in Baby Poop Bronze with "14 wheels that appeared way too small
but it had a version of the Supra I6 and would that thing fly!
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (10-11-22)
Old 10-11-22, 06:27 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I REALLY don’t like that car we’re getting that Toyota is calling the crown. But that’ll probably be all we get as sedans seem to be disappearing in the US in favor of suvs/cuvs.
Old 10-12-22, 05:58 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Unless GS stands for Great SUV there is no future.

Quick Reply: 5GS/New RWD Crown?