GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Replacement Battery Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-22, 02:53 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Replacement Battery Recommendation

I am experiencing lazy start on my 2018 F Sport the last few days. What replacement event battery do you guys recommend that would have comparable life to the one from the dealer?

Thanks
Old 10-16-22, 03:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

I highly recommend that you get a Lexus branded replacement battery from your Lexus dealer. It'll have a 7 year (84 month) warranty with no-cost replacement if it fails within the first two years and pro-rata thereafter until the 7 year warranty period expires.

If replacing the battery causes any equipment problems (e.g. locked emergency brake, NAV system fail, HVAC going haywire, etc.) - which is known to happen from time-to-time when auto parts stores or DIYers replace the battery - causing major headaches including towing the car in to the dealership for diagnosis and repairs - the Lexus dealer where you buy the Lexus branded battery replacement will be responsible to fix/correct any problems at no-charge.

Considering how long a typical battery lasts the cost is only a few dollars a month to have the insurance of a fresh battery every 5-6 years. I bet you tip restaurant wait staff more than a few dollars every month, right?

I'll never understand why some people try to squeeze just one more week out of an almost dead battery. It pays to get a battery load-tested once a year after it becomes two years old. NTB, and most all auto parts stores or your Lexus dealer's service department can load-test it for you at no-charge...
The following users liked this post:
jkeller (10-17-22)
Old 10-16-22, 04:03 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

I used an AGM from O'Reilly auto. There's only a few distinct battery manufacturers so most brand names come from one or the other.

I have no taste for going to a service dept of a dealership for anything, let alone something as easy as a battery. Just use a memory saver during the swap and you'll have no issues. I use an EZRED MS4000. If you can't DIY properly, go to a competent shop or dealer, do not trust an auto parts store clerk to replace your battery.

I also disconnected my battery recently to remove the steering wheel and couldn't use the memory saver due to the airbag removal. I didn't have any issues either.

Last edited by BMGS; 10-16-22 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-16-22, 04:42 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I took my car in for it's 45k mile service and mentioned to the dealer the car had to be jumpstarted before I brought it in since the car was sitting. They replaced it for free under the 48 month/50k mile warranty. I was at 47 months and some change.
Old 10-16-22, 06:30 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

The Lexus battery's are nothing but Interstate battery's with the Lexus labeling done by Interstate for Lexus.
Old 10-16-22, 06:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
The Lexus battery's are nothing but Interstate battery's with the Lexus labeling done by Interstate for Lexus.
So? Is there anything bad or wrong with that?
Old 10-17-22, 11:58 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
depends. Our dealer stock OEM ones from Panasonic Japan.

The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (11-11-22)
Old 10-17-22, 12:05 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Is that the $1K one? I heard the OEM battery is very expensive compared to the one with 84-month warranty standard battery.
Old 10-17-22, 02:02 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Check with your Lexus dealer for a price; it may not be too bad. I have no idea what they charge. Ya never know.
My favorite battery source, by far, is Costco. They generally sell Interstate, which is a good brand.
The kicker is, if you bring it back within the warranty period (3 years I believe) they pull a new one off the shelf and put it in your cart; no questions asked. And say thank you. No pro-rating...

But the Lexus battery size is not real common; call ahead. AGM batteries are the best if your budget allows.
As BC pointed out, do it before you (or your wife) gets stuck somewhere. I hate it when that happens!

Oh yeah, make sure your charging system is up to snuff. 5 years is about it for a battery; you got your money's worth.
Old 10-17-22, 03:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
depends. Our dealer stock OEM ones from Panasonic Japan.

Interesting. I recently saw a Interstate truck that had tons of black Lexus branded Logo's brand new battery's. I ask about them. They were going to multiple Lexus dealers.
Old 10-17-22, 04:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Check with your Lexus dealer for a price; it may not be too bad. I have no idea what they charge. Ya never know.
The Lexus branded replacement battery is Part #00544-MF240-575. The price is $125 - $130, not including installation and disposal of the old battery.
Old 10-17-22, 04:38 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. Ended up taking the car to the dealer in my lunch time. Cost was around $250 installed. Not too bad.
Old 10-17-22, 05:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Savjam
Thanks for all the responses. Ended up taking the car to the dealer in my lunch time. Cost was around $250 installed. Not too bad.
That's less than $3.00 a month if the battery lasts 7 years. That's practically nothing considering what the battery does for you!

I bet people would get their battery load-tested regularly if they had to hand-crank their car when their battery died...

Old 11-08-22, 09:19 PM
Mattside
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Any recommendations for the Antigravity battery?
Old 11-09-22, 05:31 AM
CelicaJerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Life of the battery generally depends on where you live. Heat weakens vehicle batteries, so a battery in southern Arizona is likely to last 2.5 years, while a battery in Michigan will last closer to 7 years (I used to live there). I now live in Georgia and I generally have to replace it every 4 to 4.5 years.

As someone else stated, there are only a few battery manufacturers like East Penn, JCI (Johnson Controls, now called Clarios), Interstate, Exide, etc. and most are branded under multiple names. There are some other battery manufacturers outliers like Panasonic, but they aren't as common in the U.S.

When I replaced my battery in my 2015 GS, I got an Interstate battery from Costco. Much less expensive than others ($85 at the time), did it myself in about 5 minutes and did not use a memory saver yet no issues with resetting radio buttons and things like that.

Savjam, paying a dealer $250...sorry dude, you got ripped off.

Quick Reply: Replacement Battery Recommendation