GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lowering springs journey

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 08:44 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Yes there has long been controversy about this mixing springs that are not a matched set. The BMW guys and other had discussed this alot over the years too. The Porsche forum says absolutely no due the Track day experiences of the loads shifting and handling balance. Increasing a front spring rate and shift weight distribution to move that weight distribution more forward, will make a car under/oversteer more (depending on springs front or rear changed). The Porsche track Guys that changed just front noticed it right away being the car is so tight. Funny as it was they also noticed the rear end wanting to step out and come around unpredictably where is it not before with either all matched stock springs or all matched aftermarket lowing springs. In another case some noticed the different brand front stiffer springs created a big load transfer issue when pushed hard. It was not only attributed to the Spring rate but also how Linear the design makeup differences was, and/or progressive rate, with different brand front and rear.

I have also seen many responses over the years from the developers and manufactures of Coilovers and spring company's all saying No don't , it causes adverse effects. I will say that based on the post here, likely there would be no big harm, and maybe the main objective is lowering, driving and feeling nothing wrong within the limits of the streets. I just was pointing out the info and data I have seen over the years about mixing springs. With that I personally would never do it. I just installed the Swift springs on my car with a few other minor steering upgrades, and the handling is on rails, but the ride is still like stock.
Old 01-13-24, 04:29 AM
Charlie777
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fourgs
Why I did only the fronts for half a year is:
1) because the front rake looks like an suv and you can see the aluminum parts when you look at the car from the side.
2) I like quick turns and the heavy engine up in the air makes the car lean more on tall springs.
3) tires were wearing on the outside edge because of the leaning.
4) improved steering feel.
6) improved control.
5) too soft for no reason because you still feel the bump with the rear axle which is stiffer and so the peak harshness over bumps stays the same.
Question, are you still running this setup? (RSR Downs in Front, OEM in Rear)
Old 01-13-24, 07:08 AM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes I dont wanna increase the stiffnes of rear springs at all. They are almost at the limit stiff for me. Still running oem for rear and the rsr in front.